A few thoughts about the Titans game, in no particular order

Virgil

A series circuit is great when everyone is working together and puts on a great light show.  But when you're totally reliant upon in and one part goes down, the whole thing goes down. 

1 - Tuesday Night Game - Say what you want about COVID rescheduling and if the Titans deserve responsibility, both teams still had to go out any play the game today.  Both teams were missing key players.  Both teams had their normal rhythm thrown off.  But only one team decided to not show up tonight and I have no sympathy for millionaire athletes who don't show up.  Yes, that probably sets the tone for the rest of this.  While I do give credit to the Titans for having a good defensive game plan against us, we also have coaches who's job is to game plan and get their players up for the game.

2 - Mistakes - I was going to call out a few players with their own individual thoughts, but by the time we got to the 3rd quarter, I stopped tracking.  To say we weren't mentally in this game today would be the understatement of a lifetime.  If the false starts weren't enough, every receiver, besides Beasley, found a way to drop a pass.  Roberts took dropping a pass to a new level, and tried to make up for it with some ill-advised kick-off returns.  Neal lost his lane on the huge punt return.  The defense contributed with some really stupid late hits on 3rd down, poor tackling, and other mishaps I'll get to later.  Even Allen was a team player and threw his first real interception of the season, and boy was it a bad one.  For anyone watching the Bills in their first evening prime time game, it'd be very easy for you to think this was the same old Bills.

3 - Allen - While I credit the Titans for running a similar 3 deep coverage and making Allen beat them with small passes downfield, Allen also had quite a bit of time to throw.  The ridiculous amount of drops couldn't have helped his confidence, but that's not something that's really ever shaken him before.  However, come third quarter, you could see that Allen was rattled and making some throws we aren't used to this season.  Not a single throw was attempted more than 20 yards downfield and his interception really was that bad.  I get that Brown was out, who has really become Allen's security blanket, but that's not enough to excuse this offensive performance.

4 - Ten years the waves roll the ships home from the sea,

Thinkin' well how it may blow in all good company,

If I tell another what your own lips told to me,

Let me lay 'neath the roses, till my eyes no longer see.

5 - Rushing attack - While the Titans have made the play action a fundamental part of their offense, our play action is as believable as those tax refund scam callers.  We maybe ran 3 times with Allen under center.  Everything else was out of the pistol or shotgun.  Motor had no head start on the defense nor was called for any outside zone runs.  I'm really starting to get concerned with our rushing offense and I think it's more about Daboll than Motor, especially against a poorly ranked Titans rush defense.  We've got to have some form of rushing attack that opposing teams can respect, and not because Allen is scrambling. 

6 - Norman - Hailed as one of the defensive heroes last week, Norman was anything but this week.  On the first touchdown of the game, Norman didn't even seem to be aware he was in on the play as he made zero attempt on the ball.  I'm not sure if Angry Runs includes plays called back on penalty, but I'm sure Norman hopes not.  Norman played like a guy who had to settle for a one year deal and missed the first three games. Opposite of Tre and being able to play more zone, I'm sure Norman can be a helpful part of the team, but he wasn't ready for AJ Brown at all today. 

7 - Taron - I debated talking about multiple defensive backs, but Taron Johnson also got abused tonight  On a 3rd and long, he got absolutely abused on a route and the look on his face afterwards said it all.  He was badly beaten on a few plays and overall showed that DB has to be a priority in FA or in the draft.  There's no reason our defensive backs should overall be this bad without Tre, especially when the Titans were without their #2 and 3 receivers. 

8 - Defense - The best way to prevent Allen from showing his 4th quarter magic (that probably wasn't going to happen tonight), is to not let Allen see the field in the 4th quarter.  We not only allowed a rushing TD to Tannehill, but also a 20 yard rush later in the 4th quarter.  When we did send pressure, it was up the middle and had no affect on Tannehill's passes.  We made him look competent, and you know how hard that is to do.  Oliver non-existent again.  Yes, we also gave them great field position on a few plays, but our defense did nothing to make Tannehill uncomfortable.  We didn't generate a single turnover gave up 42 points to the Titans.  Yes, we got BLOWN OUT by the Titans.  Take away the short field for two of those touchdowns, there's still 21 points out there and our complete inability to get them off the field in the 4th.

9 - Edmunds - Unless he absolutely loses a game for us or turns it around, this is the last week I'm going to talk about Edmunds.  I don't know the extent of his injury, but Edmunds is not playing anywhere near up to his potential.  He had one good 3rd down break up pass, but that's about it today.  He fell off of multiple tackles and was terrible in coverage.  On one play in particular, Edmunds was covering the middle of the short field and had no offensive Titans anywhere near him besides Brown, whom he proceeds to make a catch within a few yards of him and doesn't react at all.  If I'm being to hard on the kid, let me know.  But when is the last time his name was mentioned in a positive or dominating way.

10 - McD/Espenesa - On 3rd and 7, Espenesa jumped Offside on a hard count by Tannehill.  While that was par for the course tonight, the reaction wasn't.  Unless I've missed it, I've never seen McD pull a player off the field for a mistake and it goes to overall show how bad tonight was.  If McClappy and captain positive himself had a moment like that on camera, then that's all you need to know.  I also found it interesting that McD called a timeout when down 35-16 instead of letting the game end.  I take that to mean he's trying to prove a point about not giving up and executing correctly going forward.  However, in giving up two more touchdowns afterwards, I don't think that message landed.  I would love to be a fly on the wall in that locker room and hope the beating is worthy of this performance.  The streak of not getting blown out is also over.

LVP - It's hard to pick one person in this pit of misery, but Roberts has to get it or me.  The fumble at the end of the game wasn't going to change anything, but add in the early interception, the poor return choices, and drops....Congrats Andre.  You earned it!

One of the unwritten rules is to not post one of these so close to the end of the game and let things simmer.  However, it's Tuesday, I'm tired, and this wasn't a game.  Also, ***** you Vrabel and Tannehill for the last touchdown pass.  That's a dick move and you know it.  Titans climbed up the list of hated teams with this game and entire mess. 

4-1 with the Chiefs coming up.  We need to get healthy quick.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, dubs said:

This was just a ridiculous overall situation. 

put it behind them and move on. 

However, defense is a problem, especially without Tre and Milano. 

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Plus, the national attention will back off this team now as will COY honors for McDermott and MVP talk for Allen.

The Bills were a totally disinterested team tonight. You can tell from the word go.

But they had better show the hell up for KC.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks to the mods for locking some of the compulsive, emotional, puke being started immediately after the game. Like stamping out cockroaches. 

(not this thread, not sure where to put that thanks though). 

• Like (+1) 1

Covid - regardless if anyone wants to admit it or not.  It Will have an effect on anyone concerned about getting it.  Imagine your company telling you that you have to go to another building where they had a covid break out with the employees and you have to go there and work but also NOT where a mask within 6 ft.  If anyone honestly thinks the players/coaches weren't talking/thinking about it then I am not sure what to say.

I also completely blame the NFL for keeping the Bills in limbo from Friday - Tuesday.  Not knowing if they have to play the Titans on Tuesday or the Chiefs on Thursday.

Titans had it easy. Game plan for the Bills for basically two weeks. Get healthy. and hold out of facility practices and meetings.

I love the "well they are professionals so they should be prepared".  Just put yourself in their shoes for a few minutes.  It is ridiculous the NFL put them in this spot to have to be concerned about playing a team that had 23+ covid positives and trusted they were following the rules. While also have to be concerned about played two different opponents within 2 days of each other if the other one doesn't go.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Need to flush this one quickly. Daboll got schooled by the Titans DC and Frazier’s D looked lost. I’m okay yanking AJ but be consistent especially when you have VETS doing the same thing.

DL, Edmunds, T Johnson and Roberts get gassers as they played horrible. 

The 90 yard drive right before the end of the 1st half was a team killer.   Your punter had just done a wonderful job to flip the field and the penalty backed them up.   If they make a stop there and get good field position for Josh to take a shot,  we go in to the half with the momentum.  Instead, it sucked everything out of the team

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Injuries have shown the lack of depth on defense.  This team is heading into the toughest stretch of the season.  

sorry.  there was no injury on the  DL and they sucked.  Let us not blame it on injuries.

Did not enjoy this game one bit. I couldn't help but have flashbacks to the crapoy Bills teams of the past. Allen regressed badly, defense was horrendous, what running game or pass rush?, and Oline sucked. A total disaster tonight. Hoping this makes us better. My biggest concern was how bad Allen was. He panicked, was inaccurate, stared down receivers, and didn't run at all. 

Edited by newcam2012

I am not going to excuse the bad play, but this whole situation should not have gone down as it did.   The team who mishandled protocol got to rest for two weeks while the team playing them had to not know if the game was happening until the last second and practice for two teams for a week.   

Bad game for the Bills, Bad deal for the Bills, Bad overall situation.   I hope that this is an isolated day.    The team is still 4-1 and hopefully they can move on from this and not let it set the tone for the season.     Here is hoping that White and Milano are ready to go by Monday.   They were clearly missed.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Its a bad game. It happens.  Even the Super Bowl era teams got blown out at least once a year during meaningful regular season games.  Just forget about it and move on to the next one.  

Nope because defence has been trash all season,  you cannot win a playoff game with a defence that cannot make plays

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1