What Part of The SB Puzzle Does This Team Miss Compared to 90’s

Looking back at the early 90s Bills it is obvious that the team had several Hall of Fame Members associated with it. In fact it is one of the highest number of HOF members associated with any one NFL team between 1990-1992 add in NFL history. The late 80s team was very complete but still lacked that edge before 1990 to get into the SB. The Bennet trade was a difference maker but not what got the team to the SB. In the end the difference was going to the no huddle and utilizing Thurman Thomas as a dual threat at RB or Receiver. You cannot argue this point, the Bills went from contenders to SB plus 4 when they optimized Thurman Thomas in the no huddle. 

Today I see a very promising team with Allen and the receivers. Our D should rebound. But  what is our formulation to get over that hump like the late 80s teams? I like our chances out scoring other teams every week, but we lack that No Huddle or Thurman Thomas factor of the 90s teams. Diggs is a major piece and it shows, but I just feel we are are missing piece away from domination. 

Off the top of my head, I would say pass rush and running back. I would be interested to see the Bills apply some sort of variation of the K-gun. I think we have the weapons to pull it off.

Edited by westside2
  • Like (+1) 7

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Bruce 

Bruce was part of the late 80s teams and no doubt he was a major contributor to the SB teams, but in the end the team didnt make the SB until it made substantial changes to the offense play. This was mostly Kelly, Thurman, and Reed. They changed the tempo of the game. 

We have that ability now with Josh and the receivers, but I am talking about a Thurman Thomas. Is Josh our Thurman Thomas? I would like to think so, but time will tell. 

Edited by thronethinker

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Bruce 

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

If one were to chose a single player, it would be Bruuuuuce

Who is this Bruce you speak of? 🤔

#1. As much as I like Motor, he's no Thurman Thomas. Defenses in the 90's had to account and game plan around #34. Motor is not in that type of discussion. #2.  And yes, a pass rush would be nice. #3.  Our LB's were better and deeper in the 90's but that I guess is to be expected when running a predominate 3-4 defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

What Part of The SB Puzzle Does This Team Miss Compared to 90’s?

26 minutes ago, JTown said:

1.  Elite pass rusher.

2.  Depth at LB

3.  I'm pretty sure lack of experience at kicker will bite us at some point.

image.jpeg.7d7ef6702a6fc05e397757253a674b66.jpeg

Edited by KD in CA
  • Haha (+1) 8

17 minutes ago, mannc said:

The 1990’s Bills didn’t have to deal with a team like the Chiefs.  

No they dealt with teams that were not necessarily statistically better than todays Chief, but that is largely due to rule changes. 1990 and 91 Bills were better than todays Chiefs and anyone that watched them knows this is true. 

Edited by thronethinker
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

The 1990’s Bills didn’t have to deal with a team like the Chiefs.  

We can't discount the fact that they had to deal year in/year out with multiple HOFers at QB out of Kelly's class in Marino, Elway, as well as a consistently strong Pittsburgh squad...there was plenty of solid competition even without considering the NFC. To the OP's point, I agree that the Bills getting unleashed on O with their philosophy, specifically in 1990, set the table for the run to come. Having Lofton come over as a free agent in '89 to complement Reed as our main deep threat also nicely opened things up for Andre in medium/over the middle routes. 

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, JTown said:

1.  Elite pass rusher.

2.  Depth at LB

3.  I'm pretty sure lack of experience at kicker will bite us at some point.

I agree but not think Elite is issue.  The issue is the LBs health are limiting what they can do. This defense is more complicated than many others (but makes sense unlike Rex's) and it takes time to master and there were too many losses.

We also do not have an elite ST player like Tasker was where they had teams assigning three players to stop him (actual quotes from ST coordinators and head coaches) and a wedge breaker like Mark Pike and that combination was devastating in some games.

Edited by Limeaid

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

We can't discount the fact that they had to deal year in/year out with multiple HOFers at QB out of Kelly's class in Marino, Elway, as well as a consistently strong Pittsburgh squad...there was plenty of solid competition even without considering the NFC. To the OP's point, I agree that the Bills getting unleashed on O with their philosophy, specifically in 1990, set the table for the run to come. Having Lofton come over as a free agent in '89 to complement Reed as our main deep threat also nicely opened things up for Andre in medium/over the middle routes. 

Marino’s Dolphins were nowhere near as good as the Mahomes Chiefs.  Nowhere near the weapons Mahomes has and their defense was bad.  Those Steeler and Broncos teams weren’t great either.  Elway had not yet hit his stride and had no one to throw to.  I wasn’t referring to the NFC; obviously, those NFCE teams we lost to were the real deal, especially the Cowboys.

12 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

No they dealt with teams that were historically better than todays Chiefs. 1990 and 91 Bills were better than todays Chiefs and anyone that watched them knows this is true. 

The Cowboys, yes.  I was mainly referring to the AFC competition, though.

Edited by mannc