Zay Jones - What If He Played With This Josh Allen?

HardyBoy

Considering how much he was targeted early and the jawing he was doing it seems pretty clear that LV was trying to feature him for some revenge. Fortunately for us, he's still Zay Jones and that feature resulted in 6 targets, 4 catches, 32 yards, and a low effort miss right off his fingertips.

No thanks. Zay is where Zay needs to be... anywhere other than Buffalo. We have 3rd string guys like McKenzie and Roberts plus practice squad guys like Duke and Hodgins that I’d take over Zay. Beane and McD know what they are doing. It’s a lot more than just talent and x’s & o’s. It’s about family. It’s about your teammates loving and respecting you and wanting to go to battle with you. I never really saw that with Zay. 

Just ask yourself. Would you rather spend a 4th round pick on Davis, who has caught EVERYTHING thrown to him in his first 4 games of his rookie season after a severely limited training camp and no preseason games. Who is already savvy enough to tap and drag his toes to stay in bounds. Who already has two clean touchdowns on 8 pass attempts. Who in his first 4 games of his rookie season is already ranked 17th in touchdowns and 15th in average yards.

Or a 2nd round pick on Jones, who as a vet of many seasons still has questionable hands, too many drops, and struggles to get separation in the NFL.

Edited by simpleman
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

Had we been able to be patient with Zay and if he had the trio ahead of him like Davis does he probably could have become a solid 2-3 receiver. We didn't have talent in front of him and needed him to produce immediately and Zay wasn't ready.

That being said, I wish him well in LV, and am very happy with our current WR room

This.  We put Zay into the position of being the de-facto #1 with no high-level vets to learn from, and he couldn't do it.

Gabe Davis may be super smart and everything Brown says about him "helping them" true, but who here thinks he'd be as good if he didn't have 3 super-savvy vets in his ear all the time coaching him and giving him tips and nuances?

That said, whether he might have developed it if he started out on a good team or not - Zay had little competitive fire when he was here.  If the ball was mis-thrown a bit or he was off his route a bit, he would NOT defend  it - see NE game last year. 

22 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t believe he’d have made this bills roster. 

Agreed.  I do think he was miscast here.  He’d have been a fit in the offense NE was running, but not ours so much.  Right now he would be vying for the 5th spot because Davis would have the 4th.  If that’s where you are at this point - especially as a 2nd round pick - then it’s time to move on from that player.