First bad move by MM, starting reed.

ICE

You draft a guy with the 13th pick to start, not sit the bench behind a guy that has proven he couldn't be the #2 guy.

If reed could be then why draft Evans? You draft STARTERS with a pick as high as 13. We could have picked up a DE that could START opposite schobel with that pick.

Is it a "we're billsfanone" type of deal? Nope...just a bad personel move. WR's don't get better on the bench.

You put the guy on the field who can help you win. E.Moulds was a first round pick (granted later in the first round) that didn't contribute right away and he turned out OK. Maybe this is less about Evans not being ready and more about Josh Reed stepping it up. We'll see on Sunday.

Just because you draft a guy doesn't mean he is ready right out of the gate. Reed has easily beaten out Evans so far through training camp and pre-season according to many fans AND coaches who have watched this guy for hundreds of hours both live and on film. MM has already stated that Evans will see plenty of action in the 3 WR set and allow Reed to go inside. "proven he couldn't be the #2 guy"???? Please explain. Anyway, in effect Evans is not going to be "on the bench". This is a non-issue IMO.

Just because a guy doesn't start doesn't mean he will not be a valuable asset to the offense. I think Mularkey sees Josh Reed as a possible Hines Ward type of player. Evans will be used and used often, even if he doesn't start. You'll see.

You draft a guy with the 13th pick to start, not sit the bench behind a guy that has proven he couldn't be the #2 guy. 

If reed could be then why draft Evans?  You draft STARTERS with a pick as high as 13. We could have picked up a DE that could START opposite schobel with that pick.

Is it a "we're billsfanone" type of deal? Nope...just a bad personel move. WR's don't get better on the bench.

23233[/snapback]

Ice,

Eric Moulds who was picked in the middle of the 1st round took 2 full years

before he was annoited to the starting lineup....Evans will get his chances in

the 3WR and 2WR sets ....Reed starting doesn't mean he will be the 2nd WR

in all 2WR sets...Plus if Reed comes out of the slot and makes those catches

instead of trying to grab the long ball, I am more than happy.

The issue is whether there was a de worthy of a thirteenth pick on board. I don't think so. I agree that trading down and going for a de and ol pick would have been very understandable given the need for help in the line dept., but he did get a pretty good de out of the draft. Moulds Evans Reed will give us a chance to develop a Drew Bledsoe passing game to complement a Travis Henry WM running game. If Evans is a game-breaker...great pick TD. If the bills don't make the playoffs, I don't think we'll have TD to kick around anymore.

Reed deserves the spot, as I have seen/heard from camp, preseason games, etc. I am a HUGE Lee Evans fan, but he doesn't look ready to me. Good move, start Reed. Now, maybe hindsight....

ahhhh football season is back and the inane ICE posts return :lol: yay

WRs get better by being developed steadily like any other player - bringing their confidence along steadily at the same time.

MM has shown smarts by going with veteran guys who clearly have produced well in preseason and camp. after all - what has evans shown us except how to drop balls?

Those two are going to be interchangeable, like Kelsay and Denney. Certain formations and plays to start the game, Evans will be in there. Right now, Reed is a better blocker in the run game. They may surprise up and open with three WR. Don't worry, Evans will see plenty of time, even with the first O in two WR formations.

If reed could be then why draft Evans?  You draft STARTERS with a pick as high as 13. We could have picked up a DE that could START opposite schobel with that pick.

23233[/snapback]

Marv Levy said something to the effect of the Draft picks that help you this year are your draft picks from the following year. Lee Evans will help this year but no where near to the level that everyone hopes. 1st year WR generally do not make the impact that everyone hopes for.

Those two are going to be interchangeable, like Kelsay and Denney. Certain formations and plays to start the game, Evans will be in there. Right now, Reed is a better blocker in the run game. They may surprise up and open with three WR. Don't worry, Evans will see plenty of time, even with the first O in two WR formations.

23373[/snapback]

Enter the voice of reason.

ICE, this is a stupid post and you know it. Come on man, let these guys do their jobs.

First of all, Reed outplayed Evans in camp. Secondly, Mularkey and Clements know what's best for the team. Thirdly, the days of blindly naming #1/#2 at any position are over. It's all about specific team matchups. Haven't you noticed that the Pats never have the same lineup week in and week out? They'll line up Bethel Johnson as a "#2" one week, and Deion Branch the next. It makes it harder to prepare for them.

This is how it's done.

Fourthly, we run a lot of 3WR sets, and Lee Evans will see A LOT of time on the field. So "#2" or "#3" is irrelevant.

23233[/snapback]

yeah - really, really fast guys should be on the field, no matter what :lol:

The issue is whether there was a de worthy of a thirteenth pick on board.  I don't think so.  I agree that trading down and going for a de and ol pick would have been very understandable given the need for help in the line dept., but he did get a pretty good de out of the draft.  Moulds Evans Reed will give us a chance to develop a Drew Bledsoe passing game to complement a Travis Henry WM running game. If Evans is a game-breaker...great pick TD.  If the bills don't make the playoffs, I don't think we'll have TD to kick around anymore.

23277[/snapback]

could have traded down and taken Vince Wilfork, who instead went to the best talent evaluators in the league

23233[/snapback]

ICE I just lost any respect i had for you opinion after reading that post. You know that rookie WR's dont usually play well, it takes time to get used to playing in the NFL. Reed has a few years under his belt and at least wont make any big mistakes.

And if MM says that Reed had a good camp then I will believe him. He's the coach let him decide. Reed could very easily be poised for the traditional WR 3rd season breakout. Besided I like the kid, he's got good strength and size and I think he can handle the job.

Sorry if you think we need another peerless price to have a good passing game, but I promise other teams have had good passing games without a peerless and others will do it in the future without him.

The Americans with Disabilities Act clearly states his employer need to try to accommodate him.  :lol:

23322[/snapback]

You should have seen the fight JP and Ralph had over the handicapped spot outside the Bills offices on Tuesday....ugly man, just ugly...

MM said it yesterday---Evans will get plenty of reps and that more than 11 guys are starters in his mind. Moulds has his speed back and in fact is faster than at the beginning of last year according to Vincent and Clements, he's the deep threat for the short term in the 2 WR receiver sets. In the 3 WR sets--you've got Josh working the short edges and middle and Moulds and Evans working the posts, flags, flys and deep slants....we will play a lot of 3 wide...it will open up the running game and the passing game--no one is going to play 8 in the box when you have Moulds, Evans and Reed wide--if they do---its like conceding big plays--even if we hit 30% of the opportunities--that's a lot of yards and points...

Guest Guesteroo

23233[/snapback]

Yes, ICE is absolutely correct. It was clearly shown last year that Josh Reed is CLEARLY a better 3rd slot receiver than trying to be a 2nd WR. What about all the off season talk that we need speed outside to stretch the field and ease the pressure off Moulds?? Evans adds speed. Reed is a much better fit as a slot receiver. Hopefully, this move is temporary, until evans gets his feet wet in a couple games.

starting way over rated ,means shi#t

23423[/snapback]

I don’t know what is more moronic, Ice’s statement to lead this thread off or the above. I am so sick of people saying that starting doesn’t matter. Why do you work so hard in the off season? Why do you run the extra mile? Lift the extra weight? Study film into the night? When the Coach names you the starter that means you are the best at your position on the team.

Starting means shi#t? Spoken like a true bench warmer!

the term "STARTER" is overrated.  With so many special situations on offense, the only thing it does is stroke an ego.

Reed could start 16 games over Evans yet still finish the season with fewer plays.

23366[/snapback]

I completely agree. Coming in off the bench will not hurt Evans' ego, but it would be a big blow to Reed's. This is without a doubt the correct thing to do. MM did good.

Reed could start 16 games over Evans yet still finish the season with fewer plays.

kenny davis started in a super bowl. that's a big accoplishment.

Start reed, play shaw in the 3 wr set, rotate evans in with shaw after the first few successful 3 WR set plays.

23233[/snapback]

Most receivers do not "blossom" until their third season. This is Reed's third year. MM made Ward a superstar. Why not Reed? Did Evans do something in the preseason that leads you to believe he could do a better job? Was he geeting good seperation? Did he block down field well?