Postgame Thread Bills vs Rams

16 minutes ago, arcane said:

I think we are in the beginning of the new "good old days," and will remember this game, season, and era for a long, long time.

After today’s roller coaster I was thinking back to the 1990 season and a couple of games the Bills pulled out that they really had no business winning early that year. They also got shellacked in Miami in week two. Good teams — even really good ones — have lapses. The key is finding a way to overcome. There is plenty to “worry” about on the defensive side of the ball, but I believe McD and Frazier will figure that out. What really has me confident, though, is that for the first time in forever we have an offense that is never out of it.  Josh is still making some bonehead plays but then he pulls out something brilliant. This is going to be one hell of a fun ride. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

After today’s roller coaster I was thinking back to the 1990 season and a couple of games the Bills pulled out that they really had no business winning early that year. They also got shellacked in Miami in week two. Good teams — even really good ones — have lapses. The key is finding a way to overcome. There is plenty to “worry” about on the defensive side of the ball, but I believe McD and Frazier will figure that out. What really has me confident, though, is that for the first time in forever we have an offense that is never out of it.  Josh is still making some bonehead plays but then he pulls out something brilliant. This is going to be one hell of a fun ride. 

Josh’s ‘bonehead plays’ have been discussed from the day we drafted him. Now seeing the growth most of us felt he would undergo, those BH plays are helping better define him as a pro. His desire to win combined with near other-worldly physical skills are at the base of both his jaw-dropping plays and BH plays. Neither would occur if he wasn’t so damned determined to win. ‘Good Josh/Bad Josh’ is melding into ‘just Josh’, imo. Better get used to it cuz we could very well be in for the finest 15 year span of Bills football with this kid playing HIS game. 

Again, jmo.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

So I’m getting flack for saying the win was undeserved because we fell apart in the second half.  We were outscored 29-7.  You really think we deserved it?

Valid point

Did the Rams deserve it after being outscored 28-3?  There is a full game of football.  The team who scores the most points deserves the win.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

* yes, it is frustrating. Take a look around the League. Of course the Jets and the Vikings suck & a handful of others are struggling. But for 20 some odd teams, NO LEAD IS SAFE! Most games are either neck & neck from KO to gun or feature incredible comebacks. Chicago & Atlanta are the norm. Are either of them worthy of their record? Like everyone, I’m upset our D seems to have disappeared. But every team can be manipulated. It’s actually amazing we’ve played as well as we have the past couple seasons. My point it, it’s less that we suck at Defense and more that every team is capable of scoring from anywhere. We have an Offense to be feared and a QB with awe-inspiring ‘Want To!’ with the game on the line, so we won’t be out of any game. I think it’s best we get used to this.

Very evident you haven’t.🧐

One thing that has to be considered is the drive sequence and time of possession in the 2nd half. 

Rams: 2:39 turnover on Downs

Bills: 4:16 Touchdown, kickoff

Rams: 3:18 Touchdown

so at this point, when the Bills D could have used a chance to rest and regroup we had:

Bills :34 "Interception" - this is why that faux call was so big, it meant the Bills D had to come right back out with no time at all to regroup.

Rams: 1:21 from Bills 21 yd line Touchdown (But the impact IMO was much bigger than 7 points.  Our D was gassed)

Bills: 1:35 Punt

That's the point at which the Bills D folded like cheap lawn chairs and got frog-marched backwards 97 yards for 5:43 and a TD.  Then after a 3:09 minute offensive possession, a fumble meant the D had to defend from the Bills 37 yd line.

Don't get me wrong, our D needs to improve because last year, every team was most certainly NOT capable of scoring on us from anywhere.  But they were doing OK until they were put in a couple of field position "holes".

I think that's partly what McDermott means when he talks about playing "complimentary football".  Even if they can't move the ball, our O needs to avoid those big turnovers.

• Like (+1) 2

Imagine if Josh Allen has John Brown today... very impressed with our offense and the composure they show every week.

Rant 1: our big issue this year is truly our defense continues not to get sacks or turnovers. Our defensive gurus need to find ways to help us win that plus minus battle every game. I am fine with us playing bend but don’t break defense like we did in the 90s and win with offense, but it needs to be peppered with enough big plays on defense to give us a shot in the big games and playoffs. So far our defensive front isn’t getting home enough and we have an awfully high payroll there for that not to happen. Jerry Hughes is downright invisible. Every QB should be afraid of what lurks behind their backside. Not against us. Time to put Addison in Jerry’s spot and see what happens. Jerry is becoming the new 42....   He’s getting snaps because he is a team leader and not based on performance.. 

Rant 2: Why the Hell is Winters playing any significant snaps ? I am hoping they are just trying Cody at left guard so Feliciano can come back into Right Guard if they are thinking Spain’s film is poor, because Winters is not good enough to be an every game starter. He was the Jets leading penalty getter and they laugh when we mention his name ! They think he is terrible and that’s coming from the worst team in the league. 

Edited by Locomark

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Strange, I would have sworn the Rams threw an interception early in the 2nd Q, that resulted in a Bills TD.

So we were minus 1 in turnovers by getting 1. 1 turnover a game is not enough for an “elite” defense where we have a defensive mastermind head coach and have significant money poured into that side of the ball. We should be targeting 3 turnovers per game and 4 sacks. The Rams got 1 more turnover than us and double the sacks. 

Just now, Locomark said:

So we were minus 1 in turnovers by getting 1. 1 turnover a game is not enough for an “elite” defense where we have a defensive mastermind head coach and have significant money poured into that side of the ball. We should be targeting 3 turnovers per game and 4 sacks. The Rams got 1 more turnover than us and double the sacks. 

The Rams were gifted one turnover by one of the most bizarre "interception" calls I've ever seen in half a century of watching NFL football.

I'm not going to say our D doesn't need improvement, because right now it does.  But arbitrary benchmarks for turnovers and sacks per game? 

Foolishness.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Rams were gifted one turnover by one of the most bizarre "interception" calls I've ever seen in half a century of watching NFL football.

I'm not going to say our D doesn't need improvement, because right now it does.  But arbitrary benchmarks for turnovers and sacks per game? 

Foolishness.

Hey! You’re pretty good at this late night stuff!👍Welcome to the midnight train!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Locomark said:

The Rams have one of the best if not the best pass rusher in the league in Aaron Donald.  So they got 4 sacks, and we got 2.

In the previous 2 games, we got 6 sacks and gave up 4 in other words 3 sacks per game.

If we want to win the turnover ratio, Josh Allen needs to quit coughing up the ball with the regularity of a cat coughing up hairballs.

That's just to put some perspective on the numbers.  My point stands that good defense goes far beyond turnovers and sacks.

9 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Turnovers are fluky by nature, so measuring a defense by them is unproductive. That being said, until they start getting home with their front 4 they won't force many and the pass rush and lack of physical play on the DL is what's getting them gashed right now. 

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Rams have one of the best if not the best pass rusher in the league in Aaron Donald.  So they got 4 sacks, and we got 2.

In the previous 2 games, we got 6 sacks and gave up 4 in other words 3 sacks per game.

If we want to win the turnover ratio, Josh Allen needs to quit coughing up the ball with the regularity of a cat coughing up hairballs.

That's just to put some perspective on the numbers.  My point stands that good defense goes far beyond turnovers and sacks.

But yesterday. our defense failed to deliver any pressure on Goff in the 2nd half.  Even in the 1st half. beyond the 1st drive, they were marching down the field at will.   We couldn't stop them running the football.  They never got to tough 3rd down situations.

6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

But yesterday. our defense failed to deliver any pressure on Goff in the 2nd half.  Even in the 1st half. beyond the 1st drive, they were marching down the field at will.   We couldn't stop them running the football.  They never got to tough 3rd down situations.

News flash: the other team gets paid too.  We aren't going to have it all our own way.  The Rams offense is designed to counter pressure with play action and screens.  The problem with our D wasn't "failure to deliver pressure on Goff", it was loss of gap integrity leading to big gashing runs on the R side.

See upthread for my post on the impact of the INT and subsequent short possession on our D. 

• Like (+1) 6

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

News flash: the other team gets paid too.  We aren't going to have it all our own way.  The Rams offense is designed to counter pressure with play action and screens.  The problem with our D wasn't "failure to deliver pressure on Goff", it was loss of gap integrity leading to big gashing runs on the R side.

See upthread for my post on the impact of the INT and subsequent short possession on our D. 

Spot on.

• Like (+1) 1