Tre White Athletic article

TroutDog

https://theathletic.com/2071609/2020/09/17/execs-unfiltered-who-are-the-nfls-top-cornerbacks/?source=user_shared_article

They list Tre as the sixth best DB in the NFL:

White tied with Gilmore for the NFL lead in interceptions with six last season. He was named to the Pro Bowl as a starter and earned first-team Associated Press All-Pro honors, joining Lattimore and Humphrey atop a 2017 cornerback draft class featuring five players at the position in the first round. White would appear to be gaining ground on the elite.

“Tre’Davious White is good, he is tough, he is Pro Bowl for a reason,” a veteran coach said, “but some of those other guys scare you because they will do some ***** that is out of the box. The Ramseys, the Peterses, they will make plays that way, in addition to playing regular good defense. This guy (White) plays regular good defense and makes some really good plays, but those other guys will do ***** where you are like, ‘Whoa, whoa, he wasn’t supposed to be there.’ That is where I think they are a little different.”

This coach seemed to be describing the line between being good and being feared.

“There are more guys that are good, solid guys, but they are not like, ‘OK, you’d better go in the game and be careful with Tre’Davious White,’ ” this coach said. “You go in and know he’s a good player, but you do not go in saying, ‘Hey, this guy will wreck your game.’ ”

A defensive coordinator placed White second overall despite some qualification.

“Tre’Davious is a zone corner and he plays it well,” this coordinator said. “He plays Cover 3 and he plays read defenses and they play outside shade and stay on top, and the things they do underneath help him out. He is a good player and might be my No. 2 guy behind Gilmore.”

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

The guy saying he doesn’t change games apparently hasnt watched much of him. Tre has turned the tied of more than a handful of games, single handedly. 

he turned the whole fins game around for us last year with a pick and then a forced fumble on the very next drive and then he did all the heavy lifting on SNF in Pitt. 

I forget who I was listening to the other day on NFL radio on Sirius but it was a former GM that said white was his #2 and is much closer to being the best corner in the league than he is to being back at #3 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If that stupid coach thinks Tre has never done some crazy s*** on the field. He should get his head out of his *** and watch more ball

I agree. This is really a slight that is par for the course with small market teams. 

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

I agree. This is really a slight that is par for the course with small market teams. 

Tre has Revis closing speed and his recovery speed is elite

Diving interception near the goal line against the fins last year on a out breaking route WHILE playing cover 3 which is susceptible to out routes?

If that's not some crazy s*** idk what is

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The guy saying he doesn’t change games apparently hasnt watched much of him. Tre has turned the tied of more than a handful of games, single handedly. 

he turned the whole fins game around for us last year with a pick and then a forced fumble on the very next drive and then he did all the heavy lifting on SNF in Pitt. 

I forget who I was listening to the other day on NFL radio on Sirius but it was a former GM that said white was his #2 and is much closer to being the best corner in the league than he is to being back at #3 

Didn’t Tre also have huge plays in his rookie year that resulted in us winning? I recall a scoop and score (maybe Falcons) and a forced fumble and recovery in the clutch (maybe Buccaneers). Of course there are other examples that were mentioned. Guy in that article doesn’t know what he’s talking about. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

calling him #2 in the league with some critique like that is akin to discussion that Brady is one of the all time greats but benefits from scheme. 

it doesn’t mean he’s Trent dilfer. It means compared to the elite of the elite if you are splitting hairs here are a few differentiations.

id say it’s fair to characterize him as incredibly technically sound compared to the others but not the guy you point to as the greatest athlete and major free lancer in that very elite group.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

https://theathletic.com/2071609/2020/09/17/execs-unfiltered-who-are-the-nfls-top-cornerbacks/?source=user_shared_article

They list Tre as the sixth best DB in the NFL:

White tied with Gilmore for the NFL lead in interceptions with six last season. He was named to the Pro Bowl as a starter and earned first-team Associated Press All-Pro honors, joining Lattimore and Humphrey atop a 2017 cornerback draft class featuring five players at the position in the first round. White would appear to be gaining ground on the elite.

“Tre’Davious White is good, he is tough, he is Pro Bowl for a reason,” a veteran coach said, “but some of those other guys scare you because they will do some ***** that is out of the box. The Ramseys, the Peterses, they will make plays that way, in addition to playing regular good defense. This guy (White) plays regular good defense and makes some really good plays, but those other guys will do ***** where you are like, ‘Whoa, whoa, he wasn’t supposed to be there.’ That is where I think they are a little different.”

This coach seemed to be describing the line between being good and being feared.

“There are more guys that are good, solid guys, but they are not like, ‘OK, you’d better go in the game and be careful with Tre’Davious White,’ ” this coach said. “You go in and know he’s a good player, but you do not go in saying, ‘Hey, this guy will wreck your game.’ ”

A defensive coordinator placed White second overall despite some qualification.

“Tre’Davious is a zone corner and he plays it well,” this coordinator said. “He plays Cover 3 and he plays read defenses and they play outside shade and stay on top, and the things they do underneath help him out. He is a good player and might be my No. 2 guy behind Gilmore.”

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess this guy hasn't seen some of Tre's "whoa, whoa!, how did he do that?" game changing plays.

His INT down on the goal line vs the Dolphins.

INT in the Steelers game.

Sick PBU in the endzone vs the Browns

etc etc etc

54 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If that stupid coach thinks Tre has never done some crazy s*** on the field. He should get his head out of his *** and watch more ball

Word.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess this guy hasn't seen some of Tre's "whoa, whoa!, how did he do that?" game changing plays.

His INT down on the goal line vs the Dolphins.

INT in the Steelers game.

Sick PBU in the endzone vs the Browns

etc etc etc

Word.

I would agree. Just bothers me. 

If you’re a journalist, why not challenge these a**-hats and say, “Did you see this play? This one? This one?”

While I get the national media will never be on our tip (80’s shout out there), the local journalists need to provide some pushback against the narrative. 

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

Didn’t Tre also have huge plays in his rookie year that resulted in us winning? I recall a scoop and score (maybe Falcons) and a forced fumble and recovery in the clutch (maybe Buccaneers). Of course there are other examples that were mentioned. Guy in that article doesn’t know what he’s talking about. 

Sealed the chiefs game his rookie year as well. They were driving into our territory inside 2 mins with all the momentum and White ended it with a pick. That win sparked a 4-2 run after the mid season meltdown

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The league looks at Tre as a zone CB in a very good scheme.    The bias in these kind of rankings favors man-to-man guys, which frankly, is correct IMO.

Still, the faint praise he continually gets is pretty laughable...

Yup. The slant is expected but frustrating.