‘20 Bills. What we know/don’t know.

Chandler#81

22 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

With no preseason games I think its hard to tell how to tell how noobs fit in.  Never been a fan of PS games but thinking 2 would be nice next year

I agree...I’ve always loathed them, particularly games 2 & 4...but I would have love to see some of the newer guys actually playing football against another team. 

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Nice write up Chandler#81, pretty much hit the nail on the head. Your right in that JA needs to bring it early and often, and not let up, playing desperate is a great way to put it, because everyone we play desperately wants to beat us, wether they can is a  different story.

Go Bills!!!

Playing desperate means no punts on 4th and 2 from the 40 ... keep the train rolling.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

What we Know:

Bills are riding a 3 game losing streak heading into a daunting schedule which includes 5 games against the last 4 Super Bowl teams and 7 teams from the playoffs last season, plus 3 West Coast trips. The many seasons of all 1:00pm kickoffs are history with at least 4 prime time games and 3 trips west.

A 2nd year with the Oline in the same offense will be better developed and more cohesive, along with veteran additions Daryl Williams & Brian Winters. 

Stephon Diggs presence will open up the passing game for RBs, TEs and the other WRs. Sophomores Singletary, Ford & Knox are established starters on Offense. Frazier/McDermott’s Defense is solid, if not spectacular. These two know how to Coach Defense. Epenesa and a slew of quality veteran FA’s, along with the Horrible One’s return allow for new wrinkles in pass rush and blitzes. Our Punter continues to be suspect, rookie PK has a cannon leg and Roberts and Ferguson are Pros pros.

What we don’t know:

Josh Allen. Elusive, quick and fast runner. The strongest arm in team history. Moxie & ‘Want To!’ in spades. Established team leader. Unfinished pro product. Reading defenses and accuracy has improved and more improvements are expected and necessary. Can he get out of his own way and maintain in pressure situations? Can we win big games with him? More importantly, given the QB room, can we win ANY games without him?

How will 6 Rookies and 7 other sophomores on an established playoff team effect change?

How will the losses of Lotulelei, J. Phillips & Alexander impact Bills 3rd ranked Defense. Will the additions of Addison, Klein, Matakevich, Butler, Norman & Q. Jefferson improve, maintain or lessen the overall Defensive performance? Will Ed Oliver step up or down his game?

Is Bass more reliable than Hauschka? Is there really no Punter anywhere that can beat out Bojo?

With the 1st venture out of their ‘bubbled’ preseason Sunday, how will face to face contact and teams traveling agendas play out? Are the designated NFL city hotels Covid prepared regarding room staff, kitchen and counter personnel? Chartered flight and ground transportation personnel medically cleared and current? Stadium staff and security personnel?

Will Josh Norman return to form in the twilight of his career? Are we set at DB? How will Moss perform in short yardage?

Is the AFCE a much improved Division? All 4 teams return their coaching staffs and believe they have their QB situation well in hand. NE* was a 12 win team again in ‘19 -with a fast fading Brady. Jets won 6 of the their last 8 games and the much respected Brian Flores has already been impressive turning over the Dolphins culture and roster with a plethora of high Draft picks and 6 more in next years’ 1st 3 rounds. It’s difficult to imagine a depleted Patriot team falling from grace as there’s been no indication throughout this century. The path to a Home Playoff game goes through these 3 teams and we barely squeaked out a 3-3 record here last season.

Bonus: Expectations: Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Morse, Milano, Edmunds, Tre’, Hyde and Poyer will continue at Pro Bowl level play. Unlike most prognosticators, I expect the Bills to be firing on all offensive cylinders right off the get go. McDermott has been preaching ‘get on them quickly’ while referencing the League stats regarding 1st team to score vs wins ratio. Great emphasis has been placed on this as a methodology to reduce games ‘in the balance’ late. We have the horses, the coaching and team cohesion to realize it. Beane publicly alluded to defensive player stats not being the measure he grades by. This was evidenced by letting Jordan Phillips’ 10.5 sacks in a season and a half walk out the door. More blitzing is expected from everywhere in Leslie’s Defense this season, which aids coverages. The team is a disciplined, well prepared unit and should be able to answer unexpected challenges on both sides. Frankly, we must play desperate every week to get where we want to go.

Analysis:

The schedule is a bear, given quality of known competition, travel and the unknown of the virus implications. At least the Division shares the same challenge. It could take less than 11 wins to capture it and earn a Home Game in January, but only 1 team will likely make the playoffs.

Great post as we hopefully move to greatness as a team.  I still doubt what Josh Allen can do with his immaturity in the pocket with a rush in his face!

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

After they beat the Cowboys on Thanksgiving. Most impressive victory of the season by far.

I didn't think the Steelers was all that of an impressive win as I've said numerous times Duck Hodges doesn't belong in the league let alone starting and the Bills barely won that game as the offense sputtered(yes, against a good defense) for just about the entire game. 

in 2019, they ended up #5 total ranked D, and were #3 against the pass. Yep, pretty good D, that one. :) Also, first time the Bills had won in Pittsburgh during the regular season since OJ's tenure in the early 70's...and this one was in primetime no less, where the Bills historically have been middling at best. So yes, this still counts as an impressive win, Hodges or not. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

So victory against a complete scrub is an impressive victory? 

Got it. I bet you thought that win in NE in 2016 was impressive too....

A bridge too far :rolleyes:. I refer you back to my post concerning the overall strength of the Steelers D and the home field advantages they’ve enjoyed over us since the Juice. But by all means since it fits the narrative that the Bills didn’t legit earn their way into the playoffs last year, continue to discount the W. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/7/2020 at 2:24 PM, ScottLaw said:

Can they figure out how to beat the better teams of the league?

Will be  the difference in this team taking the next step or not...

Totally agree.  One win against a team that finished with a winning record.  That was the 9-7 Titans while Mariota was still the QB.  The 8-8 Cowboys was the best win (and it was impressive).  Partial credit for win against the Duck led 8-8 Steelers. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They absolutely earned it.... against a cake walk schedule. Things are different this season. There aren't any 3rd stringers on the schedule.😅

There will always be covid opt outs and fallouts though to provide a ready disclaimer in the event we do very well this year, right? :doh:

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just beat the Patriots.... one time and I'll shut up. 

It's all in good fun man--I wouldn't want you to stop piping up around here--at least you're consistent and willing to argue substance (even if you're wrong :)) as compared to drive-by posting then disappearing if the hot take is challenged. 

• Like (+1) 2

@NoHuddleKelly12

@ScottLaw

Man, we really do have 5 lose-able games on this schedule (Tennessee, KC, San Fran, Pittsburgh, Seattle) let alone the other competition during the season and hopefully avoidable "bumps" in the schedule.

The long and the short of it is we will likely need to win about two of the above.  Yes, I would love more, but we really do need at least two.

I love this team going into the season, I really do.  However, they do have a lot of work to do.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@NoHuddleKelly12

@ScottLaw

Man, we really do have 5 lose-able games on this schedule (Tennessee, KC, San Fran, Pittsburgh, Seattle) let alone the other competition during the season and hopefully avoidable "bumps" in the schedule.

The long and the short of it is we will likely need to win about two of the above.  Yes, I would love more, but we really do need at least two.

I love this team going into the season, I really do.  However, they do have a lot of work to do.

You are right, but I would optimistically point out that none of those teams are looking forward to their game with us as a penciled-in W on their schedule; to the contrary, we are more than likely looked on as a tough "out" who could take the win just as easily after the final horn. I do take some comfort in that! :thumbsup: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

did I miss 3 preseason games?  To my knowledge the '20 Bills are 0-0.

The '19 Bills dropped 3 at the end but that team no longer exists.  

Does Diggs make the catches Duke dropped?  Probably.  Is Josh a better QB now than at Houston?  Should be.  Will Epenesa be an upgrade on D? Hopefully.

My point:  you cant hold the 2020 Bills to what the 2019 Bills left on the field, because its not the same team.  That team is history.  We have a new team now. 

Although the new schedule is tougher, the new team should be better.  If we have to earn it by playing better than last year, GOOD.  It will help us in the playoffs.  

And Im sure McDermott, Allen and Diggs wouldnt have it any other way.

19-0 baby!

On 9/7/2020 at 2:24 PM, ScottLaw said:

Can they figure out how to beat the better teams of the league?

Will be  the difference in this team taking the next step or not...

On 9/7/2020 at 2:28 PM, ScottLaw said:

Who won? 

And they actually lost 4 of 5 to close out the season...(thank you Duck Hodges).

Nobody can put a damper on preseason enthusiasm like Scott. It’s a gift. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1