Buffalo one of only two stadiums that will require face coverings on sideline

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

I understand that masks are for protecting others. They however are not a guarantee against transmittel. Best way for a comorbid risk is to stay home, work from home.

Again, general discussion welcome in the covid-19 threads ("somewhere else not here") but tieing this into the "wear mask on sidelines" bit:

-the comorbid conditions identified for covid - hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, age - actually apply to more than half the US population taken altogether

-those who can work from home or are retired, still need to leave home for something - medical care, if nothing else

-elderly, most at risk, need most services - meals, personal care, physical therapy, frequent medical care.

Once a contagious disease is widespread in the community, it's virtually impossible to keep it away from vulnerable people who need the services mentioned above. 

The guy on the sidelines with the gatorade tray may have a girlfriend who works in a nursing home and lives with two roommates one works for a medical transport service.

And no, masks are not a guarantee against transmittal, but they do lower the probability.

On the other hand, I would hate to be an elite athlete going to the sideline "sucking big air" and have to mask up.  I hope teams have a plan for that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

This brings up a question about the sideline oxygen. Is ther a mask for each pk

player to use? Se how ridiculous this gets?

I'm not sure what's ridiculous?  If guys did not have their own oxygen masks all along, they should have done.  Sharing masks is a risk of spreading MRSA and turning a shaving cut or a scrape into a big deal - not to mention just ordinary respiratory infections and flu.  The masks can be numbered, each player can have a numbered bin on the sideline for towels mask etc, the masks can be sanitized for re-use each week. 

It's extra logistics, but it's really nothing a professional sports team shouldn't be able to handle.

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

The fact that this thread is at eight pages speaks to the problem itself:

Mask wearing should not be a controversial issue. Mask wearing should not be a political issue.

If, from the beginning, mask wearing had been neither a controversial nor political issue in the United States, we'd have lost thousands of less people, and we'd all be back to a version of life much closer to "normal" by now.

The fact that mask wearing IS controversial and political and has thus led to so many unnecessary deaths and the prolonging of this pandemic in our country leads me to fear that the movie "Idiocracy" has come true.

As a prominent epidemiologist said: "We have an acute affection of politics in our public health policy".

I have zero issue with wearing a mask. I wear a mask whenever I go into a place of business and/or am in a large gathering.  

I do take issue with the hypocritical lecturing crowd though.  They seem to come out in force anytime one of these threads arise.  

In terms of Buffalo and San Fran, if we mandate face coverings on the sidelines, given league officials and referees will be intermingling with our players, I have no issue with that.    Probably next to zero risk if we don’t mandate face coverings, but I’m not going to argue against extra caution.  

Now, the “no fans in the stands” issue, we have to deal with being a NY team.. that I take issue with. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I have seen players taking hits of oxygen from the same tank/mask. Now they need a separate mask for every person on the sideline...

Right, my point is that from an infection control standpoint, they should have had their own masks all along.  So one can make a medicine-driven argument that the "hits from same mask" thing was the "ridiculous" policy.

Hapless, can you please port this thread into the Covid one?  It’s getting ridiculous.  Why does anyone care if they wear masks?  It’s just protect their safety and health.  The trainers most likely have disposable masks so they are not shared even if there wasn’t a pandemic.  It’s not like they are shared in hospitals.  God I can’t wait for football so I don’t have to open another one of these threads.  It’s like in most states people have to wear masks in every enclosed area.  I just had to wear one at the movies yesterday, amd they are only at 40% occupancy.  I didn’t care.  He’ll, my gym requires temp. checks in order to enter the gym.  I don’t consider it an intrusion in privacy, rather I appreciate it as I’m now checking my temp. daily and makes me feel secure.  I thanked the manager for doing it.  She was actually surprised I thanked her.

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, eball said:

It’s also overreach to require placing a strap across your body in a vehicle in a free society.  Do you know how freaking uncomfortable those things are?  How dare they demand that of me.

You and those who think like you are idiots, plain and simple.  Mods, if you want to suspend me for that comment go right ahead.  I can take a few days off.

damn right. I’m removing the airbags from my car, too. And disabling my signal lights. It’s nobody’s business when or where I turn! Can’t wait for football. One week away!

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm definitely in the "wear masks in public areas indoors and in crowded areas outdoors" camp. But even I think this is a little silly. I'm on a little Labor Day socially distancing mountain weekend. The town has its main street blocked off, turned into a pedestrian mall with restaurants setting up tables outside. Because there's tons of room to walk, it isn't at all crowded. I am required to wear a mask walking down the middle of the street, right alongside tables of maskless diners ....

32 minutes ago, BillsSB2020KO said:

Nice try bud but Mullis was very clear. Let me add to that—you actually proved my point about fact check water muddying. You didn’t know what I was referring to regarding Mullis you just feverishly attempted to search and prove me wrong. I wasn’t referring to anything about Mullis saying viruses can’t be detected using PCR. You jumped the gun, and by assuming and deferring to the ‘fact checkers’ and ‘experts’ showed how easily led astray one can be who thinks the way you do, or more appropriately, doesn’t think. Nice work K-9. 

🤦‍♂️ STOP using ‘fact check’ sites dude. Literally designed to obfuscate. Many breakdowns available on how they do this.

Wake up. This is a perfect example of how easily people like you are manipulated. So damn sad 

Go the the actual papers.  There are multiple articles showing masks reduce areas of droplets and aerosols which are key modes of transmission.  Covid is not shed as free virus.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Go the the actual papers.  There are multiple articles showing masks reduce areas of droplets and aerosols which are key modes of transmission.  Covid is not shed as free virus.

One:

[Edit: Science denying garbage expunged.  Fair warning was given up thread.  As the Hitchhikers Guide says: "So long, and thanks for all the Fish!"]

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Wonder when Andy will scold players for not properly adhering to his demands of mask protocol ?

Halftime, after the game or Monday ? 

Threaten to cancel them ?

this is what I’m wondering as well.   There’s gotta be some consequences for the non-patriotic science deniers who decide to take their mask off on the sidelines at some point during the game, right?

(Although, is it clear yet on where this directive came down from?   Was it for sure a state thing, or did the county mandate  it?)

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BillsSB2020KO said:

One: it’s not even a virus. Hasn’t been isolated not has it come close to fulfilling Koch’s postulates or any other less strict protocols. It’s not scientifically a virus. 

Two: germ THEORY is just that: theory. Not remotely settled especially in the area of virus transmission and aerosol transmission in general. 

A virus is NOT a living organism. 

This is a planned economic reset. ‘The Great Reset’ as is being conditioned into us. Fiat is absolutely on its way out, to be replaced by a fully digital, centralized one world currency. Screenshot this, and when it comes to pass in the near future, let’s have a conversation. And this is just one minor aspect of what is being instituted. 

The majority of you have no idea what is about to transpire. I suggest you stop listening to established authority and start thinking for yourself. Your life and your livelihood will depend on it. 

is there a qanon web site you can point me to that supports these ideas? Maybe a Glenn Beck podcast? I’m really quite interested in learning about the evidence behind these facts, and also the proper fashioning of tinfoil hats.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Crazy that people still don’t understand that masks aren’t a means of protection but used to reduce the transmission from infected, especially the asymptomatic.

To simplify, it’s to keep your spit to yourself... Remember “say it don’t spray it”, kinda like that Einstein’s...You think spit particles aren’t going to have a harder time penetrating both your mask AND my mask than it would if we weren’t wearing masks at all? It’s literally common sense. Holy ***** how are people this ***** stupid???

prevention not protection... super hard concept I get it, but stick with it and someday maybe you will figure it out

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Players on the field for 7-8 minutes need to breathe, hydrate, get oxygen, coming off the field.

Slapping a mask on ASAP might not bode well for their recovery from heat and being winded.

Andy will be watching, surely waiting for a chance to make this about him.

maybe he’ll post another snappy Veruca Salt meme for the players.  That’ll show ‘em!

3 hours ago, BillsSB2020KO said:

One:  [crap expunged]

For some reason this post made me think of this -- "this tape will self-destruct in 5 seconds".

Cassette tape.jpg

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
This made me laugh so it stays. I remember that show! I loved it!
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsSB2020KO said:

The majority of you have no idea what is about to transpire. I suggest you stop listening to established authority and start thinking for yourself. Your life and your livelihood will depend on it. 

Congratulations.  I've seen a lot of strange things here in 16 years but you sir are the most batshit crazy I have ever seen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, K-9 said:

My antennae went up when I read the initial post I responded to and while I hoped he would provide some legitimate source for his assertions, I gave up all hope of that after I read his last post. It’s bat crap crazy and there is simply no hope for reasoned give and take. 

When a rattlesnake rattles, savvy hikers take the warning and say "if I bother the snake, I get bit"

When a mod posts a warning in a thread, it really should be taken as the mod's Size 13 Clodhoppers are poised for business.

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm interested to hear @Hapless Bills Fan's thoughts on this.

Hapless thoughts are that it's rampant bull#### and doesn't belong in a (nominally) football thread on TSW.

If you wanna ask me on OTW I might answer.