Buffalo one of only two stadiums that will require face coverings on sideline

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It's overreach to demand citizens of a free society to wear masks IMO. Now, I can see at grocery stores and pharmacies, but in parks and at sports stadiums, just no, people can choose not to go to those places.

With that, is it an over reach in a free society for the gov't to tell you to go 55 mph on the thruway? Why not go 100? You will get there faster. It's your right. To be damned with the other people on the road. Heck, if you hit them and kill them because of your speed, they shouldn't have been driving. They should have stayed home. SMH!!!!

Edited by DRutka
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

It's overreach to demand citizens of a free society to wear masks IMO. Now, I can see at grocery stores and pharmacies, but in parks and at sports stadiums, just no, people can choose not to go to those places as those are not life neccessities.

And I won't go to a stadium, being high risk. My immune system is shot from radiation I'm getting, and the virus could kill me quickly.

But what you are missing is that events like stuff in stadiums can spread the disease quickly and bring it to other people who didn't even go. If you call asking citizens to wear masks to protect the vulnerable, I guess I don't have many nice things to say to you. So I won't.

Wear a damn mask every time you can't be further away than 6 feet from other people, even for 5 minutes. It's not that hard.

2 minutes ago, DRutka said:

With that, is it an over reach in a free society for the gov't to tell you to go 55 mph on the thruway? Why not go 100? You will get there faster. It's your right. To be damned with the other people on the road. Heck, if you hit them and kill them because of your speed, they shouldn't have been driving. They should have stayed home. SMH!!!!

Reminds me of the whole argument against seatbelts. Or wearing motorcycle helmets. Lunacy.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

I have a pic on my phone that I can't post because it's too big but it does say it on the box from the makers themselves. I promise you it does. Do a google imaging search. You will find a ton of them

That is written by their lawyers to guard against liability.  Masks work to mitigate spread; the data is undeniable.

11 minutes ago, todd said:

But what you are missing is that events like stuff in stadiums can spread the disease quickly and bring it to other people who didn't even go.

EXACTLY!

11 minutes ago, todd said:

And I won't go to a stadium, being high risk. My immune system is shot from radiation I'm getting, and the virus could kill me quickly.

This is the exact reason I wear a mask! If I ever come across you in life (or someone else you may come across down the line), I will do everything in my power to help you not catch this DEADLY virus. People thinking more about themselves and their inconveniences do not belong in a civilized society. Take care my friend.

Edited by DRutka
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It's overreach to demand citizens of a free society to wear masks IMO. Now, I can see at grocery stores and pharmacies, but in parks and at sports stadiums, just no, people can choose not to go to those places as those are not life neccessities.

they demand you wear a seatbelt while driving...is that overreach? Free societies have laws meant to protect them. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, nucci said:

they demand you wear a seatbelt while driving...is that overreach? Free societies have laws meant to protect them

The key word here is "them". If it is meant to protect them, they are all for it. If it is meant to protect others, it's an over reaching inconvenience that must be stopped. To hell with others apparently.

Edited by DRutka
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

It’s also overreach to require placing a strap across your body in a vehicle in a free society.  Do you know how freaking uncomfortable those things are?  How dare they demand that of me.

You and those who think like you are idiots, plain and simple.  Mods, if you want to suspend me for that comment go right ahead.  I can take a few days off.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

That is written by their lawyers to guard against liability.  Masks work to mitigate spread; the data is undeniable.

Box: "This mask won't protect you from jack squat"

People that only want to see and hear what they want: "Their lawyers make them put that on there for liability issues" 

25 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I'm big on freedom of choice, not banning/demanding citizens follow suit.

So, with that logic, you would be OK with someone "choosing" to hurt someone you love with a car, a weapon, or anything else?

They shouldn't have been in the way of my car? It was their choice to walk in front of my car in the crosswalk, heck I was driving and I didn't choose to stop for that red light? See how ridiculous that sounds? Just as it is ridiculous to not wear a mask around others you do not know during a FREAK-EN PANDEMIC! It's not like there is no reason to do this.

Your argument holds NO merit. A civilized, free society will always need laws to PROTECT people from stupid, ignorant and/or uncaring people.

Edited by DRutka
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Box: "This mask won't protect you from jack squat"

People that only want to see and hear what they want: "Their lawyers make them put that on there for liability issues" 

The data showing masks help mitigate droplet transmission are clear and undeniable

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

He attended 'Box College', so there is no point in arguing with him.

True.  The pandemic has shown just how willfully ignorant and selfish our society has become.  In some ways that is a bigger long term danger to the country than the actual pandemic, although of course the loss of life and economic impact have been horrible.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SCBills said:

Oh cool... this again. 

As a former New Yorker, all I can say is thank God I do not live in NY anymore.  

Take that however you’d like.  My sentiment is shared by a whole lot of people that no longer call NY home. 

We don't miss you. Any of you.

5 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

People at risk can CHOOSE to wear masks and stay home... 

And we can choose to beat your ass for riskin other people's health

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The fact that this thread is at eight pages speaks to the problem itself:

Mask wearing should not be a controversial issue. Mask wearing should not be a political issue.

If, from the beginning, mask wearing had been neither a controversial nor political issue in the United States, we'd have lost thousands of less people, and we'd all be back to a version of life much closer to "normal" by now.

The fact that mask wearing IS controversial and political and has thus led to so many unnecessary deaths and the prolonging of this pandemic in our country leads me to fear that the movie "Idiocracy" has come true.

As a prominent epidemiologist said: "We have an acute affection of politics in our public health policy".

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

The seatbelt laws are def overreach IMO. However, I would say if someone was injured in an accident due to not wearing one, there could be insurance consequenses, know and understand the consequenses before you make your choice. I'm big on freedom of choice, not banning/demanding citizens follow suit.

I started driving when seat belts were not required. Then it was stated that you must wear them, but you would not be ticketed for not wearing unless you were stopped for some other violation. That was total BS, it wasn't soon after police started stopping people for not wearing them as they saw a revenue stream. This is how a society loses its freedoms, and ofc you have people cheering on the loss of said freedoms. Maybe re-evaluate who you deem to be an idiot.

Many loses of small freedoms do add up over time...

The problem is when your freedom request affects me or others around you—it’s always a balancing act, no? Classic example would be whether or not you get to yell FIRE in a crowded theater—or, should you have the freedom to decide whether or not your kid rides in a car seat? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Those of you protesting the wearing of masks as an infringement upon “freedom” clearly don’t understand what freedom means, and more importantly, what it does not mean.  Freedom does not mean a person may do or say anything he chooses.  There has always been a need for laws that dictate what is and is not acceptable in any free society.  There is a public health and safety interest in protecting people from harming themselves and others.  Putting laws/requirements/mandates in place that serve a larger goal of protecting all people is not an infringement upon “free society.”

If you choose to live in the wilderness, feeding yourself off the land and not coming into contact with other human beings, then yes, you are truly free and may essentially do whatever you please.  But when you decide to live among others you knowingly and willingly accept that there will be things you may not do, as well as things you must do, that serve an interest greater than your own.

To imply that a requirement to wear a face covering to protect others during a worldwide pandemic is an infringement upon freedom is perhaps the single most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in my 50+ years of walking this earth.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2