PPP Under Fire

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Which is the proper thread?  Perhaps if you would simply honor your Rule #2 responsibilities we wouldn’t have this problem.  Sir. 

If you weren't a disingenuous lazy liar, you could find it.

2 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

I found it but 5Gs numbers do not jive with the abstract of the study.

Because the abstract ignored the totality of the cases in the US and hypothetically extrapolated their modeled numbers, which do not correlate to the actual reported case trends.   Sturgis probably contributed to 7k-10k additional cases, which is nowhere near 250k or $12.5 billion in costs, since the vast majority of infected people are asymptomatic who do not require any medical intervention.  

13 minutes ago, GG said:

Because the abstract ignored the totality of the cases in the US and hypothetically extrapolated their modeled numbers, which do not correlate to the actual reported case trends.   Sturgis probably contributed to 7k-10k additional cases, which is nowhere near 250k or $12.5 billion in costs, since the vast majority of infected people are asymptomatic who do not require any medical intervention.  

Rule #2.  Again.  

5 hours ago, GG said:

Is that why the true alt-right posters were banished?

In a child’s mind, everything they disagree with is their boogeyman.

Can you imagine having a mind so ghettoized that it reported that the philosophy of classical liberalism (which the majority of the “louder” voices adhere to, by and large) was synonymous with the alt-right?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/4/2020 at 3:23 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

The Dungeon has long carried with it a comedically poor reputation among the other boards on TBD. Compared to the rest of the site, it's the Wild West, with a long standing tradition of self-modding and handling any disputes/spats in-house rather than letting it bleed over and contaminate the rest of the boards. This is because PPP was largely populated by adults, capable of having a conversation with someone else who did not share every single opinion they did. But as the political discourse in the country has become more divisive and explosive over the past 15+ years -- ramping up to new levels over the past 4 -- PPP has become even more of a tinderbox and now we find ourselves at a crossroad... 

I tried to report someone for totally changing a quote.  Which it completely against the ToS

I was told to not waste the mods time. 

maybe the mod was just being an ass. 
it’s happened before 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I tried to report someone for totally changing a quote.  Which it completely against the ToS

I was told to not waste the mods time. 

maybe the mod was just being an ass. 
it’s happened before 

Clinesmith already plead guilty.  That’s not a mod issue.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/4/2020 at 2:23 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

The Dungeon has long carried with it a comedically poor reputation among the other boards on TBD. Compared to the rest of the site, it's the Wild West, with a long standing tradition of self-modding and handling any disputes/spats in-house rather than letting it bleed over and contaminate the rest of the boards. This is because PPP was largely populated by adults, capable of having a conversation with someone else who did not share every single opinion they did. But as the political discourse in the country has become more divisive and explosive over the past 15+ years -- ramping up to new levels over the past 4 -- PPP has become even more of a tinderbox and now we find ourselves at a crossroad... 

... Feel free to add any thoughts, ROEs or ideas to this thread. 

PPP needs to do a much better job of eating its own.  Years ago blatant stupidity was not tolerated just because posters found themselves on the same side of the political spectrum.  Today its teams.

Every time I check in down here I see things like #Plandemic videos being shared, claims that George Floyd's murder was a hoax and a false flag operation, blatantly racist sentiment.  This garbage flies by without scrutiny, without contest.  If someone has the temerity to suggest a police officer has acted with impropriety you have a feeding frenzy on your hands.

DC Tom would be rolling in his grave if he saw how Twitter is the primary source of information down here now.  People used to get blasted for posting wikipedia links.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

PPP needs to do a much better job of eating its own.  Years ago blatant stupidity was not tolerated just because posters found themselves on the same side of the political spectrum.  Today its teams.

Every time I check in down here I see things like #Plandemic videos being shared, claims that George Floyd's murder was a hoax and a false flag operation, blatantly racist sentiment.  This garbage flies by without scrutiny, without contest.  If someone has the temerity to suggest a police officer has acted with impropriety you have a feeding frenzy on your hands.

DC Tom would be rolling in his grave if he saw how Twitter is the primary source of information down here now.  People used to get blasted for posting wikipedia links.  

What little you know. DC Tom (aka Tom the Petty) has been resurrected and when he is able to gain enough energy, he posts here. It's unfortunate, but he has been decimated and just a shadow of himself ever since he was told "Don't come around here no more". 

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

What little you know. DC Tom (aka Tom the Petty) has been resurrected and when he is able to gain enough energy, he posts here. It's unfortunate, but he has been decimated and just a shadow of himself ever since he was told "Don't come around here no more". 

You don’t know how he feels. 

39 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I dunno. He spends a lot of time posting on Twitter.

20 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

a shadow of himself ever since he was told "Don't come around here no more". 

Who did that?

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Perhaps you could be part of the solution. If you see something you think is ridiculous call it out. No one's going to bite your head off.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

I understood the reference. I thought you were saying someone told Tom to hit the road.

No, Tom bowed out on his own and then returned under something like "The New and Improved DC Tom". Take that any way you like but its been said that he has become very fond of using the word "ciao". 

12 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

This strategy worked in the past because there wasn't a contingent whose sole intent was to take this sub-forum down.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This place is pleasant on the weekends.  And it is not because it's a right wing death camp echo chamber.  It's because mostly sane posters show up and contribute. 

Why is it only during the work week that this place turns into a dick measuring pissing match?

• Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

This place is pleasant on the weekends.  And it is not because it's a right wing death camp echo chamber.  It's because mostly sane posters show up and contribute. 

Why is it only during the work week that this place turns into a dick measuring pissing match?

The Soros Cubicle Farm's normal hours are 8-6 M-F but with the election around the corner they are working weekends plus longer during the day.  Gator must be typing his fingers off with all the new persona's he has been given to inflate.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Paid trolls.  They exist. We have long laughed about Tibs being paid, but who really knows?

Or possibly they are regular people who have a job that allows them free time to goof around, and what could be more "fun" than stirring the pot on a football forum's political sub-forum? :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Paid trolls.  They exist. We have long laughed about Tibs being paid, but who really knows?

Or possibly they are regular people who have a job that allows them free time to goof around, and what could be more "fun" than stirring the pot on a football forum's political sub-forum? :rolleyes:

COVID-19. Telework. Two screens open. Why the hell not?

2 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

As suggested earlier, I just did a bunch of ignore clicks.  We'll see how that goes.

Works for a week or so until new personalities which have astoundingly similar personalities to the ones you just ignored appear.  In an endless cycle.  Get rid of sock accounts/ multiple accounts and watch this place clean up in one heck of a hurry.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

That very well could be why it ramped up.

Well that explains me. I would occasionally see posts here, and even more occasionally comment. Too many zoom meetings, what am I gonna do to stay awake?

I am under no illusion that I can convert people to my political beliefs (which seem to be out of step with both parties anyway), but I find it fascinating to read some of these threads to see just how far some people will go to justify theirs ...

EDIT: That's the new world. I used to read comment threads to a number of blogs. And wait for it .... I actually learned something from some perceptive commenters! Those days are gone. It's all tribal affiliation now. I do enjoy testing how far that will go.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well that explains me. I would occasionally see posts here, and even more occasionally comment. Too many zoom meetings, what am I gonna do to stay awake?

I am under no illusion that I can convert people to my political beliefs (which seem to be out of step with both parties anyway), but I find it fascinating to read some of these threads to see just how far some people will go to justify theirs ...

EDIT: That's the new world. I used to read comment threads to a number of blogs. And wait for it .... I actually learned something from some perceptive commenters! Those days are gone. It's all tribal affiliation now. I do enjoy testing how far that will go.

Oh, there are threads to learn things in this sub-forum. Lots of document drops, declassifications, etc that can be read and learned from.  You do not have to be one side or the other to read court documents, declassified documents, text messages, etc. It is always better to read and make your own determinations.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1