PPP Under Fire

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Somehow a threat about a recent Joe Biden speech is generally and derisively characterized as spam, but a long-running thread about Joe Biden’s gaffes is appropriate.  

It was characterized that way because it was 1) your actual intent, and 2) there are about three other threads that discussion could have gone into rather than starting a new one. 

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It was characterized that way because it was 1) your actual intent, and 2) there are about three other threads that discussion could have gone into rather than starting a new one. 

The decision to start a new thread about a new speech in a new phase of the campaign is one of creator’s discretion, and that discretion was exercised soundly here.  And my intent was to discuss the very important issue of Joe Biden’s quite presidential 9/2 and 9/4 speeches.  It’s a shame that none of the “open-minded” right wingers cared to participate.  

Just now, SectionC3 said:

The decision to start a new thread about a new speech in a new phase of the campaign is one of creator’s discretion, and that discretion was exercised soundly here.  And my intent was to discuss the very important issue of Joe Biden’s quite presidential 9/2 and 9/4 speeches.  It’s a shame that none of the “open-minded” right wingers cared to participate.  

Sure it was. That's why you started two different threads. You think you're slick, you ain't. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

I just tried and I don’t think so unfortunately 

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Darn. I do about 80% of my time here on the phone. 

I don't have anyone on ignore but just tried and it seemed to work.

4e973i.jpg

-Account

- Ignored Users

-Add new user. Just use their name. You do not need to "@" them.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Niagara said:

I would it guess it involves traffic.

429,645 stadium wall
786,864 PPP

Notice change happened in 2017 when Trump took office. The left could not swallow it, like the right had to swallow Obama. Left declared war on the right, and it is ongoing still. Game on.

No doubt it involves traffic.  Also, I think the arena of politics has moved on to the point where a party or a campaign can have a huge interest in influencing this board.  There are Bills fans from the Northern Tier of PA that no doubt drop in on this site including PPP.  Pennsylvania will be a closely contested state this fall for the Presidential campaign.  Also, traditional Republican strongholds such as Monroe County have turned blue.  

Any talk other than limiting the board to one personality-one account is just making dealing with civility too hard on any mod.  I suggest looking at other sites such as hunting or rural living for example.  Nobody has a handful of aliases to move an agenda.  The boards pretty much self regulate themselves because if a poster is outrageous then being ignored is pretty much fatal.  No need for a mod to take somebody out in back of the wood shed unless they use (even unintentionally) a naughty word such as something associated with a reproductive act.  

I'd hate to lose PPP as it gives a good barometer as to how others feel that shares a common interest or background.  Also, there just is not enough quality Bills related topics to keep interest at TSW.   Too many of the topics there boil down to if the Bills won the sports related lottery in terms of players or coaches.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Sure it was. That's why you started two different threads. You think you're slick, you ain't. 

And it was fair to discuss them in different threads.  Here’s the solution.  If you don’t like it, then don’t read it.  Don’t complain about it.  And don’t try to censor it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

No doubt it involves traffic.  Also, I think the arena of politics has moved on to the point where a party or a campaign can have a huge interest in influencing this board.  There are Bills fans from the Northern Tier of PA that no doubt drop in on this site including PPP.  Pennsylvania will be a closely contested state this fall for the Presidential campaign.  Also, traditional Republican strongholds such as Monroe County have turned blue.  

Any talk other than limiting the board to one personality-one account is just making dealing with civility too hard on any mod.  I suggest looking at other sites such as hunting or rural living for example.  Nobody has a handful of aliases to move an agenda.  The boards pretty much self regulate themselves because if a poster is outrageous then being ignored is pretty much fatal.  No need for a mod to take somebody out in back of the wood shed unless they use (even unintentionally) a naughty word such as something associated with a reproductive act.  

I'd hate to lose PPP as it gives a good barometer as to how others feel that shares a common interest or background.  Also, there just is not enough quality Bills related topics to keep interest at TSW.   Too many of the topics there boil down to if the Bills won the sports related lottery in terms of players or coaches.

Highly doubt the influence point.  I don’t have traffic numbers, but, having been in the business, nobody would waste their time with a bunch of randos like this.  At least nobody who has any kind of clue what they’re doing. 

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

You see, here is the problem, the fact that you said Biden's speeches were Presidential and important was viewed as satire by anyone with a working brain cell, so that explains why that thread went off the rails so quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Highly doubt the influence point.  I don’t have traffic numbers, but, having been in the business, nobody would waste their time with a bunch of randos like this.  At least nobody who has any kind of clue what they’re doing. 

Most boards regardless of subject matter tend to have far more "lurkers" than posters.  It's far more than reaching a handful of regulars.  Depending on the district a race can boil down to a few hundred vote difference or less.  Politics in terms of national importance has big money flowing through it.  I am sorry but the intensity in the POTUS race here ranges far outside of personal interest.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

You see, here is the problem, the fact that you said Biden's speeches were Presidential and important was viewed as satire by anyone with a working brain cell, so that explains why that thread went off the rails so quickly.

I’m not sure how characterizing a speech that I liked (and, frankly, that was very well delivered) could be viewed ironic or sarcastic in any reasonable world.  

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Most boards regardless of subject matter tend to have far more "lurkers" than posters.  It's far more than reaching a handful of regulars.  Depending on the district a race can boil down to a few hundred vote difference or less.  Politics in terms of national importance has big money flowing through it.  I am sorry but the intensity in the POTUS race here ranges far outside of personal interest.  

Sure.  But all that said the demographics of a place like this aren’t clear.  Don’t know who the people are, ages, genders, where they live, etc.  It’s a waste of time to deal with them.  Go on FB and hit them that way with microtargeted advertising.  Geofence them.  Piggyback them (buy call logs from talk radio stations, etc.)  But gambling that a bunch of randos might be in the demo you want and might live in the place you want?  Waste of time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m not sure how characterizing a speech that I liked (and, frankly, that was very well delivered) could be viewed ironic or sarcastic in any reasonable world.  

I think that tells you something about the red:blue ratio on PPP. Many people couldn't imagine a post would actually be about what it claimed to be about.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Sharing useful information, fostering discussions even on controversial topics = a waste of time to some. 

Got it. 

Context is key.  If you think you’re going to win an election on an Internet message board like this one, you don’t know what you’re doing.  It is a waste of time.  All day long. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

You should be willing and prepared to show your work, back up your opinions and analysis by engaging in an actual discussion of the topic. That means sticking around to have an adult conversation, not just throwing bombs or insults then fleeing the scene.

“I'll be back when Biden wins. Until then, sayonara all.“

- Liar

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Which, for me, is one of the biggest reasons to keep PPP around despite the flaws. If it goes away, that self control will as well. Especially during this election cycle. It would bring a good chunk of this to TSW and OTW -- which would ruin those boards for the many, many posters who go there for an escape from exactly that kind of stuff. 

Let’s reframe this point.

“Without PPP, the crappy behavior people at PPP exhibit would ruin the rest of TBD.”

First, true admission that people act uncivil and crappy here. 

Second, true that most humans would find the behavior at PPP offensive. 

Third, false that somehow if PPP disappeared, the small group of PPP posters couldn’t find another place to congregate...and the mods could just delete bad behavior in on those boards like they already do. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Sure.  But all that said the demographics of a place like this aren’t clear.  Don’t know who the people are, ages, genders, where they live, etc.  It’s a waste of time to deal with them.  Go on FB and hit them that way with microtargeted advertising.  Geofence them.  Piggyback them (buy call logs from talk radio stations, etc.)  But gambling that a bunch of randos might be in the demo you want and might live in the place you want?  Waste of time. 

The sub-categories are few and the votes needed to swing a race can be very few.  Maybe it is a waste to you but it may be well worth paying a few agitators a 1,000 bucks per week for a couple of months to see if Potter, McKean, Bradford, and Erie Counties can be swung one way or another.  Political operatives have spent far far more on dubious objectives.

Just now, shoshin said:

“Without PPP, the crappy behavior people at PPP exhibit would ruin the rest of TBD.”

Uh, the OP says as much. Several times. 

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Third, false that somehow if PPP disappeared, the small group of PPP posters couldn’t find another place to congregate...and the mods could just delete bad behavior in on those boards like they already do. 

You're missing the point. It's not that people can't find another place to congregate -- it's that they won't. They will make the mods' lives hell trying to play whack-a-mole. Especially since they already opened the door to allowing political talk on the main boards in recent months. Most regulars on PPP have avoided entering that fray out of respect and because PPP is here. If PPP goes away, that won't hold. 

Topics don't get moved to PPP when they become political, topics get moved to PPP when they become offensive.

That's a distinction that should be made. 

I'll be back when Biden wins. Until then, sayonara all.”

- code of lies

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Uh, the OP says as much. Several times. 

You're missing the point. It's not that people can't find another place to congregate -- it's that they won't. They will make the mods' lives hell trying to play whack-a-mole. Especially since they already opened the door to allowing political talk on the main boards in recent months. Most regulars on PPP have avoided entering that fray out of respect and because PPP is here. If PPP goes away, that won't hold. 

So the solution to awful people is to keep them around? 

That is really funny. 

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Topics don't get moved to PPP when they become political, topics get moved to PPP when they become offensive.

That's a distinction that should be made. 

Nonsense.  Politics get moved to PPP because the purpose of the TSW or OTW are other than political.  To serve the interest of the board which is to serve Bills fans any team related subjects are not served by political bickering.  TSW should be for Bills related topics primarily and NFL related material secondarily.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

You should be willing and prepared to show your work, back up your opinions and analysis by engaging in an actual discussion of the topic. That means sticking around to have an adult conversation, not just throwing bombs or insults then fleeing the scene.

Solid point.  Rule #2 applies here.  

Just now, shoshin said:

So the solution to awful people is to keep them around? 

That is really funny. 

What's funny is your refusal to see the point and instead try to dodge it :lol: 

The solution to keeping The Stadium Wall about Football only is to keep a space for people to discuss politics. If you remove the space for them to discuss politics, they will discuss them on the main board which will make the board worse for everyone. 

It's very simple. 

Like DR said, there are numerous political threads on the other boards, though. Times have changed.

Only one side is allowed to voice their take on the main board. 

Just one. 

Everyone can voice their opinion on PPP. Take it away and all those voices who aren't allowed to speak will become unpleasant guests. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

Like DR said, there are numerous political threads on the other boards, though. Times have changed.

I think it is only happening because there is too much mess to be mopped up by the mods.  I expect the mods to come down hard after Election Day this November in terms of posts that have political content on TSW.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The sub-categories are few and the votes needed to swing a race can be very few.  Maybe it is a waste to you but it may be well worth paying a few agitators a 1,000 bucks per week for a couple of months to see if Potter, McKean, Bradford, and Erie Counties can be swung one way or another.  Political operatives have spent far far more on dubious objectives.

No way.  Huge, huge, huge, huge waste of cash.  You’re better off going door to door in those PA counties, geofencing people (at places like churches, or bars, or schools, or whatever you think is going to help you), hitting them on FB (when you actually know who they are, calling them, sending them a bunch of fancy mail, doing selective cable buys, working local radio, or doing basically anything besides this.  I have NEVER seen or heard a political operative even suggest something like working this message board.  They would be laughed out of the room.  

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Only one side is allowed to voice their take on the main board. 

False. Multiple posters on both sides of the aisle express their opinions without moderation.

See the new Kaep thread. 

Prediction: It gets shut down or moved to PPP when someone says something offensive.

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

No way.  Huge, huge, huge, huge waste of cash.  You’re better off going door to door in those PA counties, geofencing people (at places like churches, or bars, or schools, or whatever you think is going to help you), hitting them on FB (when you actually know who they are, calling them, sending them a bunch of fancy mail, doing selective cable buys, working local radio, or doing basically anything besides this.  I have NEVER seen or heard a political operative even suggest something like working this message board.  They would be laughed out of the room.  

You must be stuck in a time warp.  I have not seen anybody stop at my place in a town race for nearly 5 years now.  Churches and bars have been in decline for a while now.  The joke of the times is if you want to lose a bunch of money then go buy a bar.  The only way to be laughed out of this discussion would be to suggest spending many millions on a board campaign.  I am only suggesting that maybe ten thousand dollars or a short multiple there of would be spent on such a venture. I seem to have struck a nerve with you on this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Speak for yourself.  I am civil and most of the people I exchange with are civil.  The rest are on a very exlusive ***** list.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

You must be stuck in a time warp.  I have not seen anybody stop at my place in a town race for nearly 5 years now.  Churches and bars have been in decline for a while now.  The joke of the times is if you want to lose a bunch of money then go buy a bar.  The only way to be laughed out of this discussion would be to suggest spending many millions on a board campaign.  I am only suggesting that maybe ten thousand dollars or a short multiple there of would be spent on such a venture. I seem to have struck a nerve with you on this.

No nerve. You want to waste money on a tactic like this?  Go for it.  But don’t delude yourself into thinking that what is said here is even marginally important.  It’s entertainment, pure and simple.  I say something, you get mad, I get amused, and we get on with our lives.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like (+1) 1