With Norman’s lingering hamstring, is it time to bring in Logan Ryan to have a look?

These are strange times - it will take 5-6 days of Covid protocol for a player to join practices even after signing. With Gaines opting out and now Norman’s lingering hamstring issue - is it time we started the process on Logan Ryan? The Jets game is less than 3 weeks away.

Ryan, like Norman, is a perfect zone coverage DB. He will be a misfit in many man coverage schemes but fits the McD / Frazier scheme to a T. He was asking 10 mill, then had reportedly dropped it to 7-8 million - but now maybe available for 5 mill plus incentives.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/06/16/the-nfls-best-cornerbacks-in-zone-coverage/3/

Edit: And right on cue Bills work out 3 DBs!! Gotta hand it Beane - he doesnt miss a beat!!

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-bring-in-three-cornerbacks-for-tryouts/article_f50cddce-e723-11ea-8cb2-f7da4e9c8ba5.html

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

6 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I thought he wanted to play safety.

yes his agent put out stats comparing him to the top safeties (and he does look good in comparison) but that was likely because there were more safety openings than CB openings - though both are relatively scarce.

i actually think Ryan’s versatility will be a plus for us - he can back up Poyer as well.

Right now Cleveland’s DB group is decimated and they are front runners for signing a DB. But after that not many openings.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I actually DO believe they may need to sign a corner at this point.

I do NOT believe they need to spend big on Logan Ryan. 

Sign a depth guy until Norman heals up. That’s about it.

I like this Logic!

• Like (+1) 1

Logan Ryan is a bad outside corner. His numbers last year when he had to play outside more were among the worst in the NFL. He is a slot corner and his agent knows the outside corner numbers are atrocious so is trying to change the narrative by comparing him to safeties.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Norman could be replaced by letting the grass grow an extra day and you wouldn’t see a drop off.  He was literally the worst player in the NFL last year.  He was targeted 46 times and gave up 7 TDs and 444 yards.  Opposing QBs had a rating of 129 when targeting him.  The guy is horrific, and he wasn’t much better in 2018.

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Logan Ryan is a bad outside corner. His numbers last year when he had to play outside more were among the worst in the NFL. He is a slot corner and his agent knows the outside corner numbers are atrocious so is trying to change the narrative by comparing him to safeties.

He was the best player on the field whether lined up inside or outside when the Bills played the titans last year.

https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2019/10/8/20905243/logan-ryan-was-sensational-in-week-5-against-the-bills

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

These are strange times - it will take 5-6 days of Covid protocol for a player to join practices even after signing. With Gaines opting out and now Norman’s lingering hamstring issue - is it time we started the process on Logan Ryan? The Jets game is less than 3 weeks away.

Ryan, like Norman, is a perfect zone coverage DB. He will be a misfit in many man coverage schemes but fits the McD / Frazier scheme to a T. He was asking 10 mill, then had reportedly dropped it to 7-8 million - but now maybe available for 5 mill plus incentives.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/06/16/the-nfls-best-cornerbacks-in-zone-coverage/3/

How many games did Morse miss last year?  I recall how doomed we were last year as he sat at all of training camp and the pre-season because of a concussion.  He's never going to last a full season everyone was stating.  There were even threads discussing whether he may decide to suddenly retire.  Sept rolled around, he played every game.  Seems like I recall there was even a second Bills player last year who also missed most of the pre-season and everyone was worried there too.

My point is this lingering hamstring may be just fine when the games count.  And yes I do know McD made a comment on it, but didn't see much about the context it was stated in, so will worry about when we get to around Sept 5th or so.

What is cut down day this year anyway?  It's typically always the Saturday after the last pre-season game, so is it still Sept 5th?

They are not paying $10 mil. which is what he wants for a slot CB or Safety given Dr. Poyer and Mr. Hyde.  So$9-10 mil. for a slot CB.  No thanks guys.  He’s a good player and those who are light at Safety, ok, but he’s played CB, not Safety, and paying that $ for those positions can be reserved for those weak in Secondaries.  That is our best position group adding all.  It is too bad, but respect his decision Gaines didn’t stay as when he is healthy, he’s good.  He didn’t.  Moving on.

We’re not getting at the end of August some top outside CB.  It’s not happening.  

Oh, and I just heard on NFLR White didn’t allow 1 TD In 2019, and the DB’s did not allow 1 deep TD from their secondary overall.

5 hours ago, Billl said:

Josh Norman could be replaced by letting the grass grow an extra day and you wouldn’t see a drop off.  He was literally the worst player in the NFL last year.  He was targeted 46 times and gave up 7 TDs and 444 yards.  Opposing QBs had a rating of 129 when targeting him.  The guy is horrific, and he wasn’t much better in 2018.

Actually the stats show Logan Ryan was worse. 

And Norman jacked in 2019. I don't agree that he was horrible in 2018. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Actually the stats show Logan Ryan was worse. 

And Norman jacked in 2019. I don't agree that he was horrible in 2018. 

Ryan was much better than Norman.

Ryan:  7.6 yards allowed per target, 5 TDs allowed in 103 targets, QB rating allowed 88.7, 4 INTs, 4.5 sacks

Norman:  9.7 yards per target, 7 TDs allowed in 46 targets, QB rating allowed 129, 1 INT, 1 sack.