Training Camp 8/23 - Allen, 5 others miss practice due to False positive Covid tests

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I wonder if once the regular season starts to prevent this type of issue with false positives, but who knows for certain if false; will the NFL adapt a system where all samples are sent to two sites for testing?  To sideline a player or coach, need a positive from both sites.

Can you imagine the mess created if players were forced to sit out a game and turns out the test was wrong. 

I mean who knows how many people BB knows who work in testing centers!!

I was thinking the same thing, but it seems like you'd almost have to do three sites in that case as the false negative has more dire potential outcomes than a false positive. False positive, a player misses a game. Sucks for him and the team and leaves a bad taste in the mouth if it reasonably makes a team lose. But a false negative ends up with two teams infected and the season all but canceled. 

Not sure what the breakdown on how likely you are to get false positive vs. false negative. Maybe something hap could explain, but either way... Preponderance of caution and all that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Duke is infuriating to me because people point to circus catches in practice and say "look! look what he can do! we have to keep him cause he can do this!" to which rational observers respond "well, that's nice, but he doesn't do much else well..." and the answer is always that his circus catches are all that he needs to do because he does it so dang well... But then you mention the playoff game and how he didn't do it then, and there's 80 excuses. 

Agreed.  I think he is probably a starter on the 2018 Bills but at this point with consistent producers (Brown, Beasley, and Diggs (albeit while not on the Bills) and the drafted talent I think Duke needs to be a complete receiver to make the team.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, RochesterLifer said:

I work for a biotech that is heavily involved in COVID test development and production. A problem (not the only one, but one) is tests being administered by unqualified people. That has led to false positives. Testing has to be conducted according to procedure, by qualified health professionals. Results have too many implications to not be taken seriously. 

I was wondering how it was determined so quickly that tests were "false positive"....this explains some of it thank you

35 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Sounds like Gabe Davis is having himself a (albeit still very early) camp.  Great to hear.  Really love where we are at WR compared to 2 years ago.

I'm right here with you on this.. I get giddy thinking about the fact that if this was any other year in the past 5 or so, we'd be freaking out about how GD is going to be our #1 WR and blow the league up... Now we get to sit here and talk about how we're excited he could be a good 4th FOURTH option on a stacked WR chart. Incredible work by Beane and co. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

Regarding the WR room:

If all four bubble WRs are playing well, the tie has to go to the two rookies, right?

We pretty much know Davis will make the roster, but it seems like Hodgins will be tough to cut, too. How much better would Duke need to be performing in camp to win a roster spot over Hodgins?

McKenzie will be a tough cut, if it comes to that. When counted on, he tends to produce. 

we truly have to trust Coaching on this.
Weird to have too much talent in one room.

D line is in a similar bind i feel.

Cut down is going to be a sad day for me. So many players i truly like and are capable.
But i would move on from Foster and McK. give the rookies  some work this year.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Because our country has a lot of sick, unhealthy, obese people above the age of 40, some that don’t even know it....

This is true.  However, what some don’t seem to acknowledge is that the pre-existing condition itself, in many of these cases, would not have caused the passing of these individuals.  They would have lived with being obese, diabetic or a cancer survivor.  Contracting the virus is what killed them.  Which brings us back to following scientific protocols like mask wearing, as you stated.  But too many people are being needlessly careless.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

America is doing terrible. Stop with the pie in the sky stuff...it never should have gotten this bad after lockdown got the numbers down. Irresponsible reopening has caused this.

Yah we should have kept the country in a lockdown  till right before the kickoff !!! 

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Was that positive or negative toward Webb?

Its Thad, so you can never tell for sure... 

I wonder what the timing of COVID tests will be for the final injury reports submitted by clubs before game days?  There is a huge risk here for the gambling community as well as the potential for a nefarious influence in a testing lab.   I know this is a training camp thread but does anybody know how this would roll out on a game day?

7 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I'm glad he's squashing the two kicker thing, it really doesn't make any sense to carry two. 

I am so glad they are letting Sal decide their strategy on roster.

What they aren't?  Do they not know what they are doing?  Other teams have signed media people people in front office postions and are the Bills behind in the times?

7 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

This is potentially one of the most important pickups this year.
    If we field a top 1-5 D, which I expect we will, having a kid who can come in and manage a few games is huge. I have little faith in Barkley.

I am sure he has less faith in you.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if this will impact the Bills practice today . The browns are one of the teams that use this lab so based on proximity it is likely the Bills do as well 

Knew the NFL would go with testing partner like they have on other items (i.e. M$ Surface tablet) when marketing overides results.

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Thank you! There is a dedicated covid thread.  Literally cannot read 3 posts in a row without some political hot take.

On that note!

Sounds like Gabe Davis is having himself a (albeit still very early) camp.  Great to hear.  Really love where we are at WR compared to 2 years ago.

It appears that our wide outs as a whole are doing real well, it’s going to be difficult to determine who’s out and who’s PS, and thats a good problem, remember two seasons ago... night and day difference. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Yah we should have kept the country in a lockdown  till right before the kickoff !!! 

Didn't need to keep it lockdown just needed to have a good plan reopening and in most places there was no plan. Places that had a good plan don't have issues and still don't have issues.