Tre White decides not to opt out, everyone is beside themselves with excitement because we're all in need of any small nugget of good news these days. Who wants a drink?

Logic

32 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Is he serious?  

Gtf off Twitter man.  You shouldn't care what people think.  You're mentally strong right and you know your family comes first.  You shouldn't be demanding universal approval.

Unless of course you're just laying the groundwork for the reason why you'll sign elsewhere someday...."fans didn't appreciate me."

Something is going on with him, the team, and his contract.  There is a reason his profile became all LSU all the time earlier this year and it wasn't bc they won it.  

Athletes and other celebrities like the attention Twitter provides.  I agree with you - if he didn't care what others thought, he shouldn't be on there.

That said, it's very Billsy for fans to jump to the "fans didn't appreciate me" conclusion.  This guy isn't Nate Clements, Gilmore, etc.  He's still stuck with us if he sits out due to COVID, and loses a prime earning year, so I don't know what he gains financially by doing it.

49 minutes ago, Billl said:

These men have busted their asses for their entire lives until they’ve become better at what they do than you will ever be at anything in your life, and you’re calling THEM entitled because you feel the right to be entertained.  Wow

What a pompous and arrogant post.

Yes, these guys have busted their asses. Much respect. Just say that instead of popping off at someone that you don’t know either.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

i'm sure what's getting to the fans is that is is happening so last minute, and in such a public way.  i have no problem if tre opts out.  if i was him, i'd just wait until i made my decision, then announce it and move on.  dragging it on with a play by play commentary isn't the best idea.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

i'm sure what's getting to the fans is that is is happening so last minute, and in such a public way.  i have no problem if tre opts out.  if i was him, i'd just wait until i made my decision, then announce it and move on.  dragging it on with a play by play commentary isn't the best idea.

Meh, he’s being open and honest about it.

He’s a kid with a young family and a MASSIVE pay day ahead of him; this can’t be an easy decision for him.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Meh, he’s being open and honest about it.

He’s a kid with a young family and a MASSIVE pay day ahead of him; this can’t be an easy decision for him.

it's a huge decision, which is why he should probably do it out of the public eye.  his final decision is what's important, not the drama that leads up to it.  i don't mind any of this, but i just assume this is why fans are getting antsy.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

It is going to be a long day......

Which genuinely doesn't make sense. I fully expected to see his decision when I first logged in this morning. 

I don't live in a world where I play something like this out in hopes my wife feels guilty and changes her mind. That is a completely insane take, but guess some of you have that kind of relationship with your other half.

That said, I will reiterate what I saw on Twitter: if Bills fans are going to give Tre grief about opting out, perhaps we're not the best fans in the league as we always claim. This isn't a time to turn your back on a Bills player unless their name is Billy Joe Hobert or Vontae Davis.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

What a pompous and arrogant post.

Yes, these guys have busted their asses. Much respect. Just say that instead of popping off at someone that you don’t know either.

You’re ‘entitled’ to your opinion.

1 hour ago, Billl said:

These men have busted their asses for their entire lives until they’ve become better at what they do than you will ever be at anything in your life, and you’re calling THEM entitled because you feel the right to be entertained.  Wow

This is a stupid post.

These men have worked hard for their career, as have most all of us. The fact that they get paid millions for their career versus xamount that the general population gets paid to do their job well doesn’t make them any harder workers. 

I would wager a significant amount of money that Tre can’t formulate a medicine that can save lives, or restore power to a hurricane scarred landscape. He has his talents and gifting, others have theirs. 

Don’t presume that their effort is worth more than anyone else’s because ignorant fans like yourself see them on TV.

Celebrity does not = Societal value. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I do think his wife/GF is a huge component here. He talked a lot about not wanting her to have to be home all day with the kids and not able to do anything, family unable to visit - regarding the protocols in place for families. I think he wants to play, he seemed so jazzed talking about the team, tbh the interview was overall very positive and this was just a small part of it. He was gushing over his teammates, coaches, very friendly with the reporters etc. But he’s taking his family into account in the decision and it’s a difficult one 

Perhaps it was addressed somewhere, but what are the protocols in place for families? 

It would be very hard on his wife (I call her his wife because it's obviously a committed stable relationship, calling her a GF or Babymama doesn't necessarily convey that) to have to be home by herself with the kids all day, but I would think the players' families could visit among themselves in "pods"...a bunch of the guys, Poyer and Hyde and Dawkins come to mind, have young kids.... you don't want to have a different set of 5-9 visit every day but setting up visiting groups should be OK.  Tre could probably also find a relative or two to join them, maybe a cousin in college or something who could take classes online and live there in exchange for some hours of childcare and companionship.

I do understand the difficulty...we faced the same type of decision last spring when our kid wanted to stay in her college apartment after school went online, we weren't sure how bad it was going to get, the small town doesn't have much in the way of hospital, she was very isolated.  We "get it", few better, that the objective risk to her is very small given her age and overall health, but the "Mama Bear" gene is real and present, activate it and duck.

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Is he serious?  

Gtf off Twitter man.  You shouldn't care what people think.  You're mentally strong right and you know your family comes first.  You shouldn't be demanding universal approval.

Unless of course you're just laying the groundwork for the reason why you'll sign elsewhere someday...."fans didn't appreciate me."

Something is going on with him, the team, and his contract.  There is a reason his profile became all LSU all the time earlier this year and it wasn't bc they won it.  

Agree 100%.

He's free to do whatever he wants.

That said there seems to be a little diva, immaturity to White.  

Stringing out his decision via Twitter, and social media is a little juvenile.  I don't think he will opt out, 

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This is a stupid post.

These men have worked hard for their career, as have most all of us. The fact that they get paid millions for their career versus xamount that the general population gets paid to do their job well doesn’t make them any harder workers. 

I would wager a significant amount of money that Tre can’t formulate a medicine that can save lives, or restore power to a hurricane scarred landscape. He has his talents and gifting, others have theirs. 

Don’t presume that their effort is worth more than anyone else’s because ignorant fans like yourself see them on TV.

Celebrity does not = Societal value. 

You did a fine job of attacking points that I never made.  Never once did I say anyone here doesn’t work hard.  Never once did I say that what people here do for a living is unimportant.  Never once did I say the effort of athletes is worth more than anyone else’s.

I said that White has busted his ass his entire life to get where he is.  As such, he gets to make a decision as to what’s best for him and his family. That doesn’t make him entitled.  

I also said that White is better at what he does than the poster criticizing him is at anything he’s ever done in his life, and that’s 100% true.  Tens of millions of people play football, and White is one of the 50 best in the world according to his peers.  There is nobody on this board who is one of the world’s elite in a field in which millions of people compete.  If I’m wrong, and there’s a Nobel prize winning scientist posting here, I’m sure I won’t call him entitled or second guess his life choices.  I know when to stay in my lane.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Perhaps it was addressed somewhere, but what are the protocols in place for families? 

It would be very hard on his wife (I call her his wife because it's obviously a committed stable relationship, calling her a GF or Babymama doesn't necessarily convey that) to have to be home by herself with the kids all day, but I would think the players' families could visit among themselves in "pods"...a bunch of the guys, Poyer and Hyde and Dawkins come to mind, have young kids.... you don't want to have a different set of 5-9 visit every day but setting up visiting groups should be OK.  Tre could probably also find a relative or two to join them, maybe a cousin in college or something who could take classes online and live there in exchange for some hours of childcare and companionship.

I do understand the difficulty...we faced the same type of decision last spring when our kid wanted to stay in her college apartment after school went online, we weren't sure how bad it was going to get, the small town doesn't have much in the way of hospital, she was very isolated.  We "get it", few better, that the objective risk to her is very small given her age and overall health, but the "Mama Bear" gene is real and present, activate it and duck.

I mean, if it’s strictly about child care, he could buy 100 nannies. 

I get not wanting to be away from your kids (though he wouldn’t even have to be) but to come out and play, earn them 20+ mil a year deal that’s waiting for him, and be able to ensure the financial freedom or his family forever, that’s hard to pass up even if it meant 5 months away from them. 

Not saying that’s what it is, but even at the most drastic measures that’s what we’re talking about.

And I get that he could theoretically get that money next year, but what happens if he opts out and then tears his ACL at the beginning of the 2021 season. Now he’s 27/28 with 2 years of tape missing. He’s not getting top 5 corner money at that point. 

Totally empathize with his stance and support his decision.  But I don’t support his tweets.  It’s a personal decision that shouldn’t be discussed until decided upon.  He chose to include the world in a decision he and his family didn’t make and now he’s forced to reap the fruits from that tree.  He’s conflicted and emotional, as a fiery leader of this team - I love that!  But when that emotion begins to spill and project, he has to be better about learning from his own errors.  A family decision is personal and private.  Learn from this, Tre.  You are so much better than the person you’re demonstrating yourself as.  This is your decision and you will be overwhelmingly supported by your team and town.  Focus on the 98% of them that support you, not the 2% that suck.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

So to you being a man means you aren't allowed to react.  Yes he is getting a ton of love, probably 10-1 the amount of hate.  Think about how much hate he is still getting.  You're delusional if you can say that it wouldn't bother you...you're just fooling yourself if you think that.  There's a difference between playing a victim and having an angry reaction.  "Being a man" also allows you to react every once in a while

Being a man means being in control of your emotions.  It's what prevents us from making irrational decisions.

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

You did a fine job of attacking points that I never made.  Never once did I say anyone here doesn’t work hard.  Never once did I say that what people here do for a living is unimportant.  Never once did I say the effort of athletes is worth more than anyone else’s.

I said that White has busted his ass his entire life to get where he is.  As such, he gets to make a decision as to what’s best for him and his family. That doesn’t make him entitled.  

I also said that White is better at what he does than the poster criticizing him is at anything he’s ever done in his life, and that’s 100% true.  Tens of millions of people play football, and White is one of the 50 best in the world according to his peers.  There is nobody on this board who is one of the world’s elite in a field in which millions of people compete.  If I’m wrong, and there’s a Nobel prize winning scientist posting here, I’m sure I won’t call him entitled or second guess his life choices.  I know when to stay in my lane.

I think your posts speak for themselves. 

Don’t assume about people, it makes you look like a you know what.

Edited by whatdrought

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Yeap, but these players somehow think COVID is an immediate death sentence.

The older I get, the more I just become nauseated with athletes in general. 

Well it isnt, But it VERY well could be a Career ender.  

Have you read what the survivors deal with, Heart and Lung issues, blood issues.

Though they likely would live through a COVID exposure and bout of it, their Career Might not.