Raheem Mostert requests trade

I don’t blame a player who’s way outperforming his contract for wanting more money - especially when that player is in a spot like this 28 year old RB is in.  And I don’t blame a team for not wanting to pay a RB.  It’ll be interesting to see where this goes.

32 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

This.

OK, maybe I don't take back my earlier "This" comment as it is not like he is getting the league minimum.  However, still, you have to do right by a guy.  Give him a reasonable bump, even if just one time.

Is it me of does 3.5 million for an 800 yard RB seem in line with the norm? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I wouldn't call him a bum or a dime a dozen RB. He had some injury issues earlier in his career.  He has elite speed, one of the fastest backs in the league.  Rare speed. He's not a great between the tackles guy.  SF more than other teams figured out how to utilize his strengths (speed in space) and he stayed healthy in 2019.  He's getting paid almost $3 mil a year which might not be what he thinks he's worth after 2019, but he probably didn't have a lot of suitors when he signed with SF.  With 2 years left he'll have a stronger case if he has another good year and SF wants to extend him. 

He's bounced around for his career.  He's taken paychecks from 7 different teams.  He has 4 career games over 80 yards.  One over 100---even last season.   SF picked him off the heap for at least what he is worth.  SF payed him 1.3 million from '17-'19 to do nothing.  Then, despite  that, they decided to give him another 8.7 million for the next 3 years.

Sure, if he has a monster year this season, maybe then they will offer him more beyond the contract he just signed last year.  Until then, he has proven nothing.  No one is paying for "elite speed".  He needs to produce on a regular basis.  He's putting up Singletary numbers.  We don't see his agent calling for more money.  He's already getting more annual money than Carlos Hyde and AP (who is a better value at a million years old)...and of course every rookie contract RB currently far better than him.

He is finally delivering a team some value for the money he is getting and he feels he deserves more.  Good luck, bro.

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t blame a player who’s way outperforming his contract for wanting more money - especially when that player is in a spot like this 28 year old RB is in.  And I don’t blame a team for not wanting to pay a RB.  It’ll be interesting to see where this goes.

Except he's not.  He's the 25th highest paid (per annum) RB and (for the first time in his career) he's 26th in yards rushing.

He's not a feature back--not heavily used (32nd in attempts).  He's getting exactly what he's worth, based on what he has produced so far.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Being an rb it makes sense to try to get paid. These guys put their body on the line every play they should try to make as much money as they can when they can, their careers are short lived and they takea  beating. They are trying to milk billionares I dont get why so many people are against players trying to get theirs.

Mostert averages 6.0 ypc carer and has legit track athlete speed his personal bests are close to tyreeks, it looks like he put it together as a football player. Didnt he just have the 2nd most yards ever in a playoff game. RBs are a dime a dozen but he makes an offense more efficient. I think he gets a slight bump and both sides are happy.

14 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

Being an rb it makes sense to try to get paid. These guys put their body on the line every play they should try to make as much money as they can when they can, their careers are short lived and they takea  beating. They are trying to milk billionares I dont get why so many people are against players trying to get theirs.

Mostert averages 6.0 ypc carer and has legit track athlete speed his personal bests are close to tyreeks, it looks like he put it together as a football player. Didnt he just have the 2nd most yards ever in a playoff game. RBs are a dime a dozen but he makes an offense more efficient. I think he gets a slight bump and both sides are happy.

LOL.  His career began in 2015.

Anyway, he just got a huge bump last year (for 3 years) for a journeyman RB.

Edited by Mr. WEO

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

LOL.....what??

Anyway, he just got a huge bump last year (for 3 years) for a journeyman RB.

"Mostert outgained Green Bay 156-93 (he had one catch for -4 yards) en route to a 27-0 halftime lead that left little doubt about who the NFC’s top team was. By the third quarter he’d broken Colin Kaepernick’s record for most rushing yards in a playoff game in San Francisco history. He finished his night with 220 yards and four touchdowns — second only to Eric Dickerson’s 1986 showing against the Cowboys as the league’s top postseason running performance."

His career average is 6.0. Check pro football reference. Small sample size but he flashes. Sure he was a journeyman but plenty of talented players slip through the cracks for various reasons. Im not saying give him cmac money but he should ask for more than a special team contract.

19 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

"Mostert outgained Green Bay 156-93 (he had one catch for -4 yards) en route to a 27-0 halftime lead that left little doubt about who the NFC’s top team was. By the third quarter he’d broken Colin Kaepernick’s record for most rushing yards in a playoff game in San Francisco history. He finished his night with 220 yards and four touchdowns — second only to Eric Dickerson’s 1986 showing against the Cowboys as the league’s top postseason running performance."

His career average is 6.0. Check pro football reference. Small sample size but he flashes. Sure he was a journeyman but plenty of talented players slip through the cracks for various reasons. Im not saying give him cmac money but he should ask for more than a special team contract.

Mostert has 178 CAREER carries, so his average is nice, but over really one full season--not that meaningful.  Does no one here remember Spiller's one season at 6 YPA??  He was a far better back and yet he slid off the cliff a year after that season.

Mostert had 13 games with 60 or fewer yards last year (and 7 under 45) --including 58 in the SB.  20% of his entire season rushing total came in 1 game! 

He's getting RB money commensurate with his ranking as a RB last year.  Smart teams don't blow up a new contract on a journeyman for one great game.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Except he's not.  He's the 25th highest paid (per annum) RB and (for the first time in his career) he's 26th in yards rushing.

He's not a feature back--not heavily used (32nd in attempts).  He's getting exactly what he's worth, based on what he has produced so far.

The opinion of his value isn’t mine, it’s his.  You’re obviously welcome to your own opinion of his value.  Likewise the 49ers have their own.  Both the player and team are free to act accordingly.

Mostert thinks he’s undervalued and he’s trying to get paid.  Fine.  Personally I would very rarely pay a RB so I’m not a good gauge here.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t blame a player who’s way outperforming his contract for wanting more money 

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The opinion of his value isn’t mine, it’s his.  You’re obviously welcome to your own opinion of his value.  Likewise the 49ers have their own.  Both the player and team are free to act accordingly.

Mostert thinks he’s undervalued and he’s trying to get paid.  Fine.  Personally I would very rarely pay a RB so I’m not a good gauge here.

Your stated that he's "way outperforming his contract".  That's a clear opinion of his value attributed to you by you in your post.

19 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

When I saw this, this is the 1st guy I thought of: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timmy_Smith 

Me too...

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Your stated that he's "way outperforming his contract".  That's a clear opinion of his value attributed to you by you in your post.

Jeebus.  Is my clarification/correction that I meant it was from his POV and not mine - after you pointed out that it came across as my personal opinion - not clear somehow?

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

This.

OK, maybe I don't take back my earlier "This" comment as it is not like he is getting the league minimum.  However, still, you have to do right by a guy.  Give him a reasonable bump, even if just one time.

Who are these running backs that have 700 some yards and aren't a "full time" back that are getting paid more than him? You've got like Duke Johnson?

He, as a running back, had like 250 more yards than Josh Allen did as a QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He had over 1100 yards rushing and 15 TDs including the postseason and led the league in YPC.

Giving him a small pay bump since he outperformed his contract when they have the money is the sign of a well run organization.  Plus, they may need him more than we think as they traded Breida, McKinnon seems to get injured every time a leaf touches him, and Mostert clearly outperformed Coleman last year when asked to carry the ball more than 10 times.  Some RB's are made for the outside zone running scheme that requires good vision and quickness.  Mostert fits that bill.  Give that man his money.

EchPjeiU4AEADrp?format=png&name=small

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Jeebus.  Is my clarification/correction that I meant it was from his POV and not mine - after you pointed out that it came across as my personal opinion - not clear somehow?

oy

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

He had over 1100 yards rushing and 15 TDs including the postseason and led the league in YPC.

See all of my above posts where I discussed his stats. 

And YPA is nice but....who cares if the guy hardly carries the ball?  For a large chunk of the regular season he didn't produce much.  He was a situational back with one decent season who already got a generous contract the year before for doing absolutely nothing.

Let him play every game as a feature back and see what happens.  For this guy in particular that should be the obvious plan for SF.