Raheem Mostert requests trade

He’s a fast running back getting carries in a shanahan offense.  Is anyone surprised he’s producing?  He should be happy with his 3.5 mill a year imo.  His salary is what’s keeping him a niner. If he wants more, someone else is gonna have to pay him.  I doubt SF gives him more

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

oy

See all of my above posts where I discussed his stats. 

And YPA is nice but....who cares if the guy hardly carries the ball?  For a large chunk of the regular season he didn't produce much.  He was a situational back with one decent season who already got a generous contract the year before for doing absolutely nothing.

Let him play every game as a feature back and see what happens.  For this guy in particular that should be the obvious plan for SF.

Hard to produce when they aren’t giving you the ball.  He put up elite numbers when they did.  They’re going to nickel and dime the guy who as their best offensive weapon in the second half of the season and the playoffs and show themselves to be a franchise who won’t take care of their players.  He absolutely deserves to be the highest paid RB on the team, and that would cost them a negligible amount.

It always amazes me how often teams are willing to poison their locker rooms to save fractions of a percent of the salary cap.  Mostert was the engine of their offense in the postseason while their $30,000,000 QB did absolutely nothing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Billl said:

Hard to produce when they aren’t giving you the ball.  He put up elite numbers when they did.  They’re going to nickel and dime the guy who as their best offensive weapon in the second half of the season and the playoffs and show themselves to be a franchise who won’t take care of their players.  He absolutely deserves to be the highest paid RB on the team, and that would cost them a negligible amount.

It always amazes me how often teams are willing to poison their locker rooms to save fractions of a percent of the salary cap.  Mostert was the engine of their offense in the postseason while their $30,000,000 QB did absolutely nothing.

Plenty of mediocre backs put up big numbers on 100-150 touches. 

I can get on board for touching up his deal but it’s not far outside his role or production as is 

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

Ok...

Nickel and dime?  They took a guy who was a career zero and made him the 25th highest paid RB in the NFL on the basis of a 261 yard season in 2018.  He upped his game.  Good for him.  

In the playoffs, he was a nonfactor in the 27-10 win over Vikings (12 carries, 58 yards, zero receptions, zero targets).  Only 34% offensive snaps.

In the SB he had one 2 yard pass, 58 yards rushing, and a TD.

If that was the 49ers "engine", they have realized they need a major shift in philosophy and drafted 2 WRs and a TE. 

They aren't paying a guy for one great game where he accrued 20% of his season's yards and 26% of his TDs.

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ok...

Nickel and dime?  They took a guy who was a career zero and made him the 25th highest paid RB in the NFL on the basis of a 261 yard season in 2018.  He upped his game.  Good for him.  

In the playoffs, he was a nonfactor in the 27-10 win over Vikings (12 carries, 58 yards, zero receptions, zero targets).  Only 34% offensive snaps.

In the SB he had one 2 yard pass, 58 yards rushing, and a TD.

If that was the 49ers "engine", they have realized they need a major shift in philosophy and drafted 2 WRs and a TE. 

They aren't paying a guy for one great game where he accrued 20% of his season's yards and 26% of his TDs.

You just made the point why running backs are replaceable. The 49ers know this. I don't know what this guy expects. He's a fringe player who is making good money. Do I blame him for trying to get as much as he can in his limited window, no. But no one is going to pay him what he wants. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The guy has 2 years left on his deal...has been in the league for 5 years and has had 1 good year at a position that doesn't get paid (because you can replace even the very best at it with a rookie and get good production). I'm not sure what his expectations are...

He's the 25th highest paid RB in the league by AAV (2.9M AAV with 2.4M guaranteed at signing)  That said he's 28 and the clock is ticking for him to be able to make money.  He won't be a FA again until he's 30 and by then it's too late.  I get it from his point of view.  It doesn't mean that anybody will acquire him to give him more money and I certainly don't know what his expectations are but when Duke Johnson is making 5.2M a year AAV and got almost 6M guaranteed. and Mike Davis is making 3M with 3M guaranteed there is probably someone willing to pay him something in between those two contracts without thinking about it too hard.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Plenty of mediocre backs put up big numbers on 100-150 touches. 

I can get on board for touching up his deal but it’s not far outside his role or production as is 

How many backs put up 15 TDs on 190 touches?

LMAO...Bills RBs had 4 TDs combined for the entire regular season and postseason.  Buffalo had 13 as a team. Mostert had 5 just in the postseason.  He had 15 total, and people here want to act like he’s a bum.

Edited by Billl

18 minutes ago, Billl said:

How many career scrubs parlayed a career bouncing off of 6 teams and a 261 yard season into an $8.7 million/3 year payout?

Look the 49ers took a huge gamble on this guy--paying top 25 money before any significant contribution.  Now THEY get rewarded for their risk.

If he can repeat his value this season, then HE can be (again) rewarded.

Simple as that.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Billl said:

LMAO...Bills RBs had 4 TDs combined for the entire regular season and postseason.  Buffalo had 13 as a team. Mostert had 5 just in the postseason.  He had 15 total, and people here want to act like he’s a bum.

he’s paid as a slightly below average starting back. Put a number on what you think he should be paid.

47 minutes ago, Billl said:

Unfortunately for the 49ers, 4 of those came not in the Super Bowl, but in a blowout win over a completely defensively dominated Packers team. 

He's a one season wonder and he is being handsomely paid as such for now.  No team would offer much in trade compared to his current value to the 49ers.  So he has no leverage.

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Unfortunately for the 49ers, 4 of those came not in the Super Bowl, but in a blowout win over a completely defensively dominated Packers team. 

He's a one season wonder and he is being handsomely paid as such for now.  No team would offer much in trade compared to his current value to the 49ers.  So he has no leverage.

You’re not wrong, but that line of thinking is how the 49ers could win the battle but lose the war.  An extra $750k means a lot more to him than it means to their cap.  If that’s the difference between a happy starting RB and a locker room cancer, it’s a cost/value question.

I will say that it’s a weird argument you make about the Super Bowl when one of the biggest takeaways from than game is that they may have won it if they’d kept giving him the ball.  58 yards and a TD is pretty good when you only get 12 carries.

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

You’re not wrong, but that line of thinking is how the 49ers could win the battle but lose the war.  An extra $750k means a lot more to him than it means to their cap.  If that’s the difference between a happy starting RB and a locker room cancer, it’s a cost/value question.

I will say that it’s a weird argument you make about the Super Bowl when one of the biggest takeaways from than game is that they may have won it if they’d kept giving him the ball.  58 yards and a TD is pretty good when you only get 12 carries.

think he’s publicly asking for a trade over 750k?

RB is a crazy position.  It's super important, but also relatively easy and cheap to fill.  Is there a single team that does not have a RB of Mostert's caliber?  Gus Edwards was #2 RB last year in YPC.  Breida, who also played for SF in 2019 was #5.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

They obvious disagree.  He had more caries for under 5 yards than over.  And once Mahomes woke up in the 4th, it was game over.  No more handing off to Mostert for 0,1,2,3 yards. His magic wore off after the Packers game, clearly.  Other than a 1 yard TD run, he was as useful as he was in the Vikings game.

And no doubt an extra 750K would mean more than 2.9 million.  But since they don't have to give him that, why would they?

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They obvious disagree.  He had more caries for under 5 yards than over.  And once Mahomes woke up in the 4th, it was game over.  No more handing off to Mostert for 0,1,2,3 yards. His magic wore off after the Packers game, clearly.  Other than a 1 yard TD run, he was as useful as he was in the Vikings game.

And no doubt an extra 750K would mean more than 2.9 million.  But since they don't have to give him that, why would they?

SF intercepted the ball up 10 with just under 12 minutes left in the game.  From there, they had the ball for 4 possessions.  He only got 4 carries total on those 4 drives.

Drive 1) 6 yard run by Mostert on first down.  1 yard run by Mostert on the following first down.  Ineffective pass play, ineffective pass play, punt.  TD Chiefs

Drive 2) 5 yard run by Mostert followed by two incompletions and a punt...TD Chiefs

Drive 3)  17 yard run by Mostert followed by 6 straight pass plays on a drive ending with three straight incompletions followed by a sack on 4th down...TD Chiefs

Drive 4) Incomplete pass, interception...Game Chiefs

How in the world do you come away from that thinking that giving it to Mostert wouldn’t have given them a better opportunity than watching Jimmy G try to win a shootout against Pat Mahomes?

8 hours ago, berg1029 said:

The guy is old for a RB with no major contracts to speak of.  He outperformed his current contract by a lot.. I can't really blame him for trying to strike while the iron is hot, may be his only opportunity. 

A lot of rookies out perform him making less and he was already paid rookie scales to learn.

He should blame his agent on renewal - if he did not like contract he should have taken 1 year contract elsewhere to prove himself worthy of bigger one - bet on himself.

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Should we trade for him? He can be the Mostert to Singletary and Moss's ketchup

I'd trade T.J. Yeldon for him but I am sure he would not like being #3 back.

13 minutes ago, Billl said:

SF intercepted the ball up 10 with just under 12 minutes left in the game.  From there, they had the ball for 4 possessions.  He only got 4 carries total on those 4 drives.

Drive 1) 6 yard run by Mostert on first down.  1 yard run by Mostert on the following first down.  Ineffective pass play, ineffective pass play, punt.  TD Chiefs

Drive 2) 5 yard run by Mostert followed by two incompletions and a punt...TD Chiefs

Drive 3)  17 yard run by Mostert followed by 6 straight pass plays on a drive ending with three straight incompletions followed by a sack on 4th down...TD Chiefs

Drive 4) Incomplete pass, interception...Game Chiefs

How in the world do you come away from that thinking that giving it to Mostert wouldn’t have given them a better opportunity than watching Jimmy G try to win a shootout against Pat Mahomes?

No QB wins a shootout vs Mahomes with a RB who has had 2 games over 100 yards in his career.

Against Green Bay, before halftime, Mostert had runs of 36, 13, 34, 10 and 18 yards for 3 TDs.  Against the Chiefs, he had runs of 1, 9, 11, 3, 2 by the half. They started the 3rd quarter with 2 scoring drives during which Mostert had runs of zero, 2 and 1 yards.  And as you pointed out, still up he put up a 6,1,5....

Clearly he had converted back into the pumpkin he was in the Vikings game.  Yes Jimmy G sucked, but  more Mostert churning out that weak cheese would have been hopeless.  Delusional. The only reason this game was close for as long as it was is because Mahomes had one of the worst 3/4 of a game in his career.  Then he simply destroyed the 49ers D. Down by 4 with 2 min from their own 27, they aren't going to be handing off to Mostert and hoping for a 34 yard run from two weeks prior.

Tough situation.  His value will never been higher but I won’t pay him.  That system makes anyone look good and he hasn’t shown anything before and he is close to 30.  Maybe you give him a little bump but that would just being nice by the 49ers.  I totally get why he’s doing it but he has zero leverage.  And I won’t trade anything higher than a 6th.  

honestly, rbs should get together before the first game and just refuse to play.  It’s like one of the coolest positions in sports and they get tried like prostitutes.  They get used and abused and then tossed away.  If I had won, I would never let him play rb and it’s such an awesome position. 

• Thank you (+1) 1