Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

Schools need money to keep the kids and their community safe. Where is this guy who said he is a deal maker? 

Another impasse on the rescue package. Imagine if the president were a dealmaker.

President Trump speaks to reporters outside the White House on Thursday.
President Trump speaks to reporters outside the White House on Thursday. (Demetrius Freeman/The Washington Post)
80600f48-c5c8-43d8-b2fb-80eb5b5721f2.png&w=80&h=80
Opinion by 
Columnist
August 7, 2020 at 1:06 p.m. EDT
Add to list

The country faces an economic crisis on top of a public health crisis, and Congress is at an impasse in negotiations over a rescue package. Democratic leaders said on Friday that in the latest round, they offered to reduce their proposal by $1 trillion if Republicans would add $1 trillion to their far smaller proposal, but Republicans rejected it.

Meanwhile, White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows told Republicans the biggest sticking point is the money Democrats want to give to state and local governments to help deal with their budget crises, which are already causing mass layoffs and service cuts.

What this deadlock needs is a master negotiator, someone whose extraordinary skills can break through the parties’ differences and craft a deal both sides can live with, giving Americans the help they need.

Are we instituting a national lockdown on kids ages 5-24?  We don't want them out getting the Covid and bringing it back to mom and dad or the grandparents.  

It is just beyond incredibly stupid keeping schools closed.  The rationale that NOT putting these kids in the best situation to continue their growth and development because it puts them more at risk then anything else they're doing every single day is absurd.  

At the very least at school, we can contact trace and know exactly where everyone is everyday.  

And the data continues to say.....stop being scared.  But if you are, by all means retire, stay home, hide, or let your kid take the virtual option.  

There is no longer ANY justification letting mine, or anyone else's kids suffer (and they are you're completely obtuse to think otherwise) that want and need to be back at school.

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Are we instituting a national lockdown on kids ages 5-24?  We don't want them out getting the Covid and bringing it back to mom and dad or the grandparents.  

It is just beyond incredibly stupid keeping schools closed.  The rationale that NOT putting these kids in the best situation to continue their growth and development because it puts them more at risk then anything else they're doing every single day is absurd.  

At the very least at school, we can contact trace and know exactly where everyone is everyday.  

And the data continues to say.....stop being scared.  But if you are, by all means retire, stay home, hide, or let your kid take the virtual option.  

There is no longer ANY justification letting mine, or anyone else's kids suffer (and they are you're completely obtuse to think otherwise) that want and need to be back at school.

Liberals are fine with raising a generation of idiots, it just means more democratic voters

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bilzfancy said:

Liberals are fine with raising a generation of idiots, it just means more democratic voters

That’s funny - blue states are more educated - have better high school and graduation rates than red states.

In addition - red states have more poverty and are more federally dependent.

Nice try bro

Edited by BillStime

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Unless I'm somehow reading that chart wrong it would appear that "new math" is being used to calculate the percentage of deaths. In the 85 and older group 2716 deaths out of 13075 is not 33%, nor would it work for that many deaths vs hospitalizations. 

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

Yet the areas of our country with the lowest educational achievement in public schools is exclusively owned by Dems. As a person who understands math, my students are more at risk of dying of the flu this year than of Corona. But keep trying you might get one that sticks eventually

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Yet the areas of our country with the lowest educational achievement in public schools is exclusively owned by Dems. As a person who understands math, my students are more at risk of dying of the flu this year than of Corona. But keep trying you might get one that sticks eventually

False - Students in Blue states are better educated - higher graduation rates - and see less poverty when compared to Trump states 

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Virtual Education Could Leave Millions of Students With Special Needs Behind

Money for nothin’

03-Teach-Demands-LI-600a.jpg

For more 

I teach special needs kids and the fact that "my union" is right now suing to keep us online all year to appease the lazy teachers is so frustrating. All students need the face to face but they are running on the concept of " one death is too many" of course when a football player dies or someone dies of the flu we have different standards. I am just glad I am not part of the union, which knows it represents our worst teachers much more than the best.

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

False - Students in Blue states are better educated - higher graduation rates - and see less poverty when compared to Trump states 

You think NYC and LA are better educated? How about DC or Chicago? The only good educations there are the private schools, which is why they want to shut them down. Look at Buffalo alone- you have city honors and private schools and the rest are terrible. But keep running on rankings where the amount spent is more important than results.

1 hour ago, bilzfancy said:

You posted this??? This is a rant against the rich running our system and cheating the people. 

11 minutes ago, BillStime said:

And smoke less, eat better food, live longer and produce more! Look at California and look at Mississippi, which state is doing right by their citizens? 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You think NYC and LA are better educated? How about DC or Chicago? The only good educations there are the private schools, which is why they want to shut them down. Look at Buffalo alone- you have city honors and private schools and the rest are terrible. But keep running on rankings where the amount spent is more important than results.

The stats back me up bro - Trump states aren’t bright.

And to quote you: “teachers are lazy?” And you’re a special education teacher? Make that comment to your colleagues faces - I dare you keyboard warrior. 

Edited by BillStime

Keeping schools closed shouldn't be the default. It has terrible consequences for children

Opinion: In-person instruction is essential for most students. Don't take my word for it. Ask the American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC director.

Jon Gabriel

30 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I teach special needs kids and the fact that "my union" is right now suing to keep us online all year to appease the lazy teachers is so frustrating. All students need the face to face but they are running on the concept of " one death is too many" of course when a football player dies or someone dies of the flu we have different standards. I am just glad I am not part of the union, which knows it represents our worst teachers much more than the best.

I am trying to understand the two positions the teachers union has:  too dangerous to teach in person, won't teach remotely.

In addition to special needs the poorer children will be hurt: parents must work, don't have/poor broadband and not enough computers/tablets for the family.

Great teachers are wonderful and deserve more $, the poor teachers deserve to be replaced but that will not happen.

33 minutes ago, BillStime said:

The stats back me up bro - Trump states aren’t bright.

And to quote you: “teachers are lazy?” And you’re a special education teacher? Make that comment to your colleagues faces - I dare you keyboard warrior. 

Can you show me the stats that back you up? Because all the ones that does not have Florida in the top 4 use money spent as a criteria. 

But I appreciate you reminding me why I blocked you previously, when you are wrong you make up accusations whole cloth. I am certain I never called teachers lazy because I don't think that, but your lack of integrity shows again.

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Unless I'm somehow reading that chart wrong it would appear that "new math" is being used to calculate the percentage of deaths. In the 85 and older group 2716 deaths out of 13075 is not 33%, nor would it work for that many deaths vs hospitalizations. 

It is out of 8,000 deaths.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

appease the lazy teachers is so frustrating.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Can you show me the stats that back you up? Because all the ones that does not have Florida in the top 4 use money spent as a criteria. 

But I appreciate you reminding me why I blocked you previously, when you are wrong you make up accusations whole cloth. I am certain I never called teachers lazy because I don't think that, but your lack of integrity shows again.

Prove you’re not lazy and go do some research. 

Edited by BillStime

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

You posted this??? This is a rant against the rich running our system and cheating the people. 

Yes, that's the point, it's not Trump's fault, it's all of Washington, the Uber rich, politicians bought and paid for, George is right, George is usually right

"Like all the rich people leaving locked-down locales, parents removing kids from locked-down public schools have scared public officials."

"If just 10 percent of public-school kids homeschool or join a private school for two years, that is a watershed moment for the social undercurrent of animosity towards public schools.... This is dangerous to Democrats’ political dominance because the education system tilts voters their way through cultural Marxism, and because public education is a huge source of Democrat campaign volunteers and funds. Now Democrats have detached people from their conveyor belt. The consequences will be huge."

From "Why Democrats Have Started To Cave On Reopening Schools/The pressure to reopen schools is on everywhere now that New York is doing it. This means something else big: Their hard opposition to school reopenings is politically devastating for Democrats" 

On 8/11/2020 at 8:18 AM, B-Man said:

"Like all the rich people leaving locked-down locales, parents removing kids from locked-down public schools have scared public officials."

"If just 10 percent of public-school kids homeschool or join a private school for two years, that is a watershed moment for the social undercurrent of animosity towards public schools.... This is dangerous to Democrats’ political dominance because the education system tilts voters their way through cultural Marxism, and because public education is a huge source of Democrat campaign volunteers and funds. Now Democrats have detached people from their conveyor belt. The consequences will be huge."

From "Why Democrats Have Started To Cave On Reopening Schools/The pressure to reopen schools is on everywhere now that New York is doing it. This means something else big: Their hard opposition to school reopenings is politically devastating for Democrats" 

So, when students get sick, spread to teachers, staff and their family and the hospitals are overwhelmed again with COVID patients, that’s a good thing?

3 minutes ago, DumpTrump said:

So, when students get sick, spread to teachers, staff and their family and the hospitals are overwhelmed again with COVID patients, that’s a good thing?

Hospitals will not be overwhelmed because of schools unless the teachers don't do their job. Teachers will have to keep their distance from kids and stay on kids to do the right thing. 

On 8/10/2020 at 9:43 AM, Just Joshin' said:

I am trying to understand the two positions the teachers union has:  too dangerous to teach in person, won't teach remotely.

In addition to special needs the poorer children will be hurt: parents must work, don't have/poor broadband and not enough computers/tablets for the family.

Great teachers are wonderful and deserve more $, the poor teachers deserve to be replaced but that will not happen.

Let me explain.  Unions exist solely to create wealth and political power for themselves, and they do that by having their people do as little work as humanly possible so as to always have a hammer to extort ever more money and power out of the paying entity.  Teachers care if kids get educated.  But unions don't.  Not one tiny bit.

Then they go spend that money bribing politicians to keep perpetuating the system.

2 minutes ago, DumpTrump said:

Opening the schools is a bipartisan issue where, for the first time in a while, both sides agree it needs to happen.

Are you of the mindset that Governor Cuomo and Senator Schumer want students to get sick, spread to teachers, staff and their family? Is that what you're saying? You disagree with their assessment that schools should be open?

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Let me explain.  Unions exist solely to create wealth and political power for themselves, and they do that by having their people do as little work as humanly possible so as to always have a hammer to extort ever more money and power out of the paying entity.  Teachers care if kids get educated.  But unions don't.  Not one tiny bit.

Then they go spend that money bribing politicians to keep perpetuating the system.

Thank you for putting into words the truth. 80+% of teachers do a great job and go above and beyond but must deal with the union.

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Thank you for putting into words the truth. 80+% of teachers do a great job and go above and beyond but must deal with the union.

Which is why Democrats try so hard to eliminate freedom for employees with regard to union membership choice.  If you can force all workers to join, you can maximize your bribe income, er, campaign contributions.