Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

What the hell is going on?

First Trump claims at his July 3rd Mount Rushmore speech that kids are being "indoctrinated" these days by those damn evil liberals.

Now he's pushing about as hard as possible for schools to reopen fully. Not partially. Not 2 days or 3 days a week as his press secretary today questioned. But fully.

It's about as transparent as he can possibly be. And yet some will view "opening fully" as the only answer.

It's obviously not.

I'm a teacher and I actually very much prefer to be in the classroom. I am one of the lucky ones who knew what he wanted to do as a career at a pretty young age--9th grade--and never wavered, which was what helped me earn my undergraduate degree in Secondary English Education and Master's degree in English literature in 5 years.

(That's a statement about my dedication to both my Profession and my subject rather than whatever tomfoolery someone will dish out that I just said I was better than you... though I very likely am in Secondary English education and English Literature... can't wait for the grenades on that very true statement. :flirt:)

Regardless of the fact that I prefer and am very willing to be fully back in the classroom in 3 1/2 weeks (because Hawai'i students are scheduled to go back August 4th), I also very much understand teacher, student and parent concerns otherwise.

I have coworkers who are elderly, or obese with heart disease, or with diabetes who have already said they won't go back into the classroom. These are, for the most part, very good teachers who care about their students.

But should they be expected to put their lives at risk in a 400 square foot box with 30 other kids who might look healthy but might be asymptomatic carriers of what would be a deadly disease for them?

It's understandable why Trump is pushing for a full go at schools. Hell, it's transparent. Our economy can't fully start without teachers being the glorified babysitters we're viewed as. You can't watch your kids while you work, so we better do it, along with giving them a damn good education and making sure they're learning social skills and keeping them safe and making sure they continue to learn things like discipline and time management and... etc.

That's fine. I love my job. Believe it or not I really want to get back into the classroom. Distance learning is going to be harder than in-class learning because I, like most teachers, care about my students and really want them to excel, despite the fact that distance learning is ultimately no substitute for the classroom.

But it's a choice at this point between safety and education at this point, honestly. 

Trump wants to throw the economy in as the 3rd choice, but how many kids' lives are actually worth the economy to you? And once students start to get sick, doesn't the inevitable become school closures?

No easy answer. And I'll repeat, I want to and am willing to get back into the classroom fully. I just think it's becoming less and less likely. It makes me sad. I also think it's an indication of the direction of our NFL season, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If the stories about schools in European countries are true, and kids attending don't tend to spread it, then it seems to make sense to free up more of the workforce. The concern would absolutely be any at risk teachers. I think perhaps the option to teach remotely would be good. Not too different from current distance learning except the kids are in the classroom together. It certainly eliminates any issues of substandard internet and probably engages the kids a bit more than being home. If a teacher needed to be remote, the classroom would likely need a supervisor of some kind who is less at risk than the teacher. Whether that is able to be funded or a volunteer service is a separate and equally tricky conversation. 

• Like (+1) 2

Well at least we now know Transplant is a teacher. That explains so much. I wish him well. As we’ve done in my office for weeks now, if you don’t feel safe coming back to work....don’t! That was true before Covid 19 by the way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If the stories about schools in European countries are true, and kids attending don't tend to spread it, then it seems to make sense to free up more of the workforce. The concern would absolutely be any at risk teachers. I think perhaps the option to teach remotely would be good. Not too different from current distance learning except the kids are in the classroom together. It certainly eliminates any issues of substandard internet and probably engages the kids a bit more than being home. If a teacher needed to be remote, the classroom would likely need a supervisor of some kind who is less at risk than the teacher. Whether that is able to be funded or a volunteer service is a separate and equally tricky conversation. 

They have spent money to get their schools ready. Where is the bill to increase school health standards here?  In Mitch’s graveyard. 

Just criminal 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

They have spent money to get their schools ready. Where is the bill to increase school health standards here?  In Mitch’s graveyard. 

Just criminal 

Education is not and should not be funded at the federal level!!! It’s provided by and paid for at the State and local level. Unless of course you want Mitch to send the Army into your schools. 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Just criminal 

I admittedly don't know much about the European schools other than the results that they didn't really impact the overall cases after going back. What prep did they do? Or was it more just policies and procedures? 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I admittedly don't know much about the European schools other than the results that they didn't really impact the overall cases after going back. What prep did they do? Or was it more just policies and procedures? 

I actually just read about it myself. This is just a snip from a NYTimes article 

Two, some of those other countries have allocated new money for schools, as I heard after surveying some of my Times colleagues around the world.

Hong Kong is covering the cleaning costs for its schools, Bella Huang told me. South Korea is helping schools open day care centers from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. or longer, Su-Hyun Lee, who’s based in Seoul, said. Germany is subsidizing laptop purchases for low-income students, to help them combine remote and in-person learning, according to Christopher Schuetze in Berlin. And Italy has sent money to schools to pay for more teachers, student desks, masks and other equipment, Elisabetta Povoledo, a reporter in Rome, told m

I watched something on CNN and in Germany they bought all these plexiglass separators between students. Crazy. I think NY should open in August so they can use tents, teach outside more, leave windows open etc, and then close in October before you have to use heat. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I actually just read about it myself. This is just a snip from a NYTimes article 

I watched something on CNN and in Germany they bought all these plexiglass separators between students. Crazy. I think NY should open in August so they can use tents, teach outside more, leave windows open etc, and then close in October before you have to use heat. 

As a hands on learner, I really like the outdoors idea. It wouldn't work for everything, of course, and wind can be a real jerk. I think ensuring proper distancing will definitely be key. Not too many kids per classroom. The idea of teachers being remote plays well with that, as the class could be broadcast to multiple rooms simultaneously. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I really can't remotely :lol: see that working.

First of all, it requires more money. You need money for each position you have "supervising" the class.

And who are the supervisors? Substitute teachers? EAs? Security Guards?

That adds more money to those positions being taken away from their other jobs.

And we haven't even talked about the classroom management nightmare that would be having 20-30 students sitting in a room with their teacher not physically present. It could actually be a safety and liability issue, honestly

• Haha (+1) 1

The schools need to be fully re-opened by the start of the new school year. This is borderline child abuse.

I realize the school year starts before November, but that's too damn bad.

Everything's about the children unless we can compromise their well-being for political gain.

• Like (+1) 6

On 7/9/2020 at 2:30 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Well at least we now know Transplant is a teacher. That explains so much. I wish him well. As we’ve done in my office for weeks now, if you don’t feel safe coming back to work....don’t! That was true before Covid 19 by the way. 

I never hid being a teacher.

In fact I mention it all the time and many have already been critical of me and my profession.

And the last statement is silly. We're in the middle of a worldwide pandemic that in the US alone has infected nearly 1.5 million and killed over 135,000 people despite efforts to quarantine, wear masks, and not have large gatherings for months now.

Schools would be the canary in a coal mine.

And having all schools across the country go fully back into the classroom with 20-30 (and often more) students per classroom would likely wind up having pretty serious consequences.

And as I said in the OP and to be very clear: I want and am willing to go back into the classroom. I love and miss my job.

I just think the best anyone can clearly hope for is a mixture of in-class teaching and at home distance learning, often depending on school size.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

The schools need to be fully re-opened by the start of the new school year. This is borderline child abuse.

Everything's about the children unless we can compromise their well-being for political gain.

alternatively it could be seen as abusive to have children gather in large numbers sitting next to each other in government buildings as a pandemic sweeps across our nation.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

As a hands on learner, I really like the outdoors idea. It wouldn't work for everything, of course, and wind can be a real jerk. I think ensuring proper distancing will definitely be key. Not too many kids per classroom. The idea of teachers being remote plays well with that, as the class could be broadcast to multiple rooms simultaneously. 

"Not too many kids per classroom"

That's the problem.

My school has classes that have had 40 students in a single classroom. I haven't seen that in my room, but 30+ multiple times. 

So how exactly does a public High School campus with 2,000+ students on campus limit students in classrooms AND not split the student body into staggered learning with a certain % on campus at a time and the rest doing distance learning?

• Haha (+1) 1

I didn’t bother reading that endless diatribe at the start of this thread, but yeah, we need to open schools, period.

What’s amazing is all the people screaming about hardships for POC in other threads now want to completely sabotage their education.

I live in one of the richest towns in the country and our district has completely lost track of 10% of enrolled students.  What do you think that % is in towns where few of any of the kids have a stable home, plenty to eat, tablet/laptop, reliable broadband, parents with the ability and desire to be involved, etc?

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

This shouldn't even be a political issue but Trump made it one, unfortunately.

He's obviously desperate.

And you're obviously one of his blind followers.

The reality is that most schools across the country will follow the fluid path of starting the year partially in person and partial distance learning to see how it goes and adjust from there.

Frankly, that's almost inevitably the right call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I didn’t bother reading that endless diatribe at the start of this thread, but yeah, we need to open schools, period.

What’s amazing is all the people screaming about hardships for POC in other threads now want to completely sabotage their education.

I live in one of the richest towns in the country and our district has completely lost track of 10% of enrolled students.  What do you think that % is in towns where few of any of the kids have a stable home, plenty to eat, tablet/laptop, reliable broadband, parents with the ability and desire to be involved, etc?

Bolded ends up telling me a lot.

And no, opening schools fully as the test subjects for a complete reopening without thought of student, teacher or family health is flat out stupid.

Kids that are in school are going to suffer educationally. I view that as inevitable this year. Good distance learning isn't even a close substitute for good in-class learning. Period.

However, measuring education or social skills lost by students as somehow more more important than the lives that might be lost--of students, teachers, and/or family members--is just plain cold-hearted.

This is not an easy answer, but forcing all schools to go back fully at this moment is the wrong one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

alternatively it could be seen as abusive to have children gather in large numbers sitting next to each other in government buildings as a pandemic sweeps across our nation.

The pandemic has already swept across the nation and presents an infinitesimal risk to children.

The charade is over. We saw the man behind the curtain when you dispensed with the lockdown to gather in massive groups across the country to protest police brutality for weeks on end.

The fear mongering political operatives posing as scientists have been wrong about everything, and are now back tracking, moving the goal posts, manipulating data, and generally bending over backwards to exploit this so-called pandemic to create as much misery and economic destruction as possible for the purpose of influencing an election.

It's telling that the people who are so determined to swallow this narrative are the same people who have swallowed every other bogus narrative the media's pushed for the last four years without so much as a hint of skepticism.

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

So you want to just completely open schools for POC how noble of you. Also just asking but how good do you think the healthcare is for the people of those communities you're so worried about?

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

The pandemic has already swept across the nation and presents an infinitesimal risk to children.

The charade is over. We saw the man behind the curtain when you dispensed with the lockdown to gather in massive groups across the country to protest police brutality for weeks on end.

The fear mongering political operatives posing as scientists have been wrong about everything, and are now back tracking, moving the goal posts, manipulating data, and generally bending over backwards to exploit this so-called pandemic to create as much misery and economic destruction as possible for the purpose of influencing an election.

It's telling that the people who are so determined to swallow this narrative are the same people who have swallowed every other bogus narrative the media's pushed for the last four years without so much as a hint of skepticism.

Charlie Day GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

oh right carry on then.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And no, opening schools fully as the test subjects for a complete reopening without thought of student, teacher or family health is flat out stupid.

Kids that are in school are going to suffer educationally. I view that as inevitable this year. Good distance learning isn't even a close substitute for good in-class learning. Period.

However, measuring education or social skills lost by students as somehow more more important than the lives that might be lost--of students, teachers, and/or family members--is just plain cold-hearted.

This is not an easy answer, but forcing all schools to go back fully at this moment is the wrong one.

No one (or at least I’m not) is saying open up as if there was no virus.  Obviously there needs to be significant workarounds.

But using the ‘kids might die’ excuse is b.s.  If a particular kid has a serious medical condition than that kid should stay home.  Otherwise, kids are not dying from COVID.

If individuals deem it too risky to family members to sent kids to school, they always have the option to home school.  If school districts want to accommodate distance learning for those people, great, have at it.  If a certain teacher is high risk, hire a sub.

But not opening schools because there is some risk or because it’s hard to manage or because certain teachers don’t want to come back is crazy.  If not now, when?  The risk profile will never approach zero until there’s a vaccine and that might be years away.

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

But not the teachers who teach them or the families they go home to.

And putting 30+ kids in a clustered classroom might not hurt them, but you honestly and truly believe that's not a soup bowl spreading a virus from one person to another to eventually pass on to people who might suffer more than just "minor symptoms?"

Regardless of your opinion about the protests, what's been happening since them?

Have infections gone down?

Asking for a friend.

Yeah, we just care about destroying the economy, not the kids we teach or the colleagues we work with every day. Not to mention the kids' families.

But yeah, you go on believing the caution in starting schools back up is a conspiracy against your boy sitting in the White House. :doh:

No.

The people skeptical are probably the people most directly affected by this choice (teachers and parents of students) or people who actually care about those people.

Guessing you fall under the category of neither.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

No one (or at least I’m not) is saying open up as if there was no virus.  Obviously there needs to be significant workarounds.

Sounds like you've got one right in this thread actually. He's not too bright, but at least he doesn't seem to realize it because he sure is vocal.

But using the ‘kids might die’ excuse is b.s.  If a particular kid has a serious medical condition than that kid should stay home.  Otherwise, kids are not dying from COVID.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex

So you're sure those 100 something 18 or under kids who died from COVID all had serious underlying medical conditions?

Source?

What if a family has a child with an underlying health condition they don't know about or hasn't been diagnosed?

Just "oh well", yah?

If individuals deem it too risky to family members to sent kids to school, they always have the option to home school.  If school districts want to accommodate distance learning for those people, great, have at it.  If a certain teacher is high risk, hire a sub.

You seem pretty clueless about the logistics and money involved in all you've just proposed, so I will just brush past this and hope you take some time to do some REAL research into what would be needed based on what you propose.

But not opening schools because there is some risk or because it’s hard to manage or because certain teachers don’t want to come back is crazy.  If not now, when?  The risk profile will never approach zero until there’s a vaccine and that might be years away.

My God you sound like William Wallace in Braveheart.

You itching to go into battle?

Dude, you aren't just talking about "certain teachers." You're talking about a significant number of teachers where if you want to accommodate them most school districts across the country will still also be retaining them because many would be teachers those districts don't want to lose. And then if you think it's easy to also pay for a bunch of subs in this economic climate, you're crazy.

Rather than be so nihilistic and uneducated about the economics of the situation, take a breath and just think...

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Sounds like you've got one right in this thread actually. He's not too bright, but at least he doesn't seem to realize it because he sure is vocal.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex

So you're sure those 100 something 18 or under kids who died from COVID all had serious underlying medical conditions?

Source?

What if a family has a child with an underlying health condition they don't know about or hasn't been diagnosed?

Just "oh well", yah?

You seem pretty clueless about the logistics and money involved in all you've just proposed, so I will just brush past this and hope you take some time to do some REAL research into what would be needed based on what you propose.

My God you sound like William Wallace in Braveheart.

You itching to go into battle?

Dude, you aren't just talking about "certain teachers." You're talking about a significant number of teachers where if you want to accommodate them most school districts across the country will still also be retaining them because many would be teachers those districts don't want to lose. And then if you think it's easy to also pay for a bunch of subs in this economic climate, you're crazy.

Rather than be so nihilistic and uneducated about the economics of the situation, take a breath and just think...

266 kids 0-4 died of the flu last year. 211 5-17 year olds.

IMO, you should never go back to work and you should be fired and school cancelled until we cure the flu. Because if it saves one child...

Thanks for the support Transplant, learn to code!

• Like (+1) 5

I started school before the MMR vaccine. I caught measles and rubella.  My parents had mre get the vaccine so I didn't get mumps. It wasn't that prevalent as I don't remember anybody I knew getting it. The teacher would walk down the aisles  and pull the back of people''s clothes out so she could look down your back for the measles. I remember her sending people to the nurse   so they could be sent home.

4 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I started school before the MMR vaccine. I caught measles and rubella.  My parents had mre get the vaccine so I didn't get mumps. It wasn't that prevalent as I don't remember anybody I knew getting it. The teacher would walk down the aisles  and pull the back of people''s clothes out so she could look down your back for the measles. I remember her sending people to the nurse   so they could be sent home.

Stories about kids and polio are scary in comparison to this current virus.  And they had to live with it for 10-15 years?  Maybe longer.

On 7/9/2020 at 8:16 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Agent Orange wants schools re opened so parents can get back to work and not stay at home babysitting which will stimulate the economy (in time for the election) 

I do not know where you live but I live amongst people whose livelihood are reliant on an open economy and schools being open. Students who have underlying reasons are able to do online school and an open school is beneficial to all. 

Hong Kong will close all schools from Monday after the territory reported a spike in locally transmitted COVID-19 infections, the city's education minister said.

New Hong Kong cases stay high for third day
Hong Kong reported 38 new cases, edging down from Thursday's 42 but broadly in line with a sharp increase that the city has registered over the past three days.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/mexico-south-africa-post-record-coronavirus-cases-live-updates-200710000611381.html

They do not fool around there and they normally wear masks

7 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Of course the op wants to sit at home and collect checks ??‍♂️

That’s exactly what this is about, and he’s hiding behind the pathetic ‘if it saves just one life’ nonsense....

Somehow all this terrible risk is fine for doctors, nurses, dentists, nursing home staff, flight crews, bus drivers, etc......but we need to trash our education system rather than expect teachers to adapt.  

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

They have been charging people with terrorism for breathing on people. Students are going to do dumb things like that just because they are students. What do teachers and administrators do with that? If Sally goes home and tells her mother Tommy is breathing on her, the school HAS to to something. 

Buses? How would that work? 

If a kid refuses to wear a mask? 

All those young kids coming into a school with runny noses, wow! 

Sports? Our schools are like the center of the community in so many ways. 

I’d hate to be making decisions trying to make this work. 

God bless those in education. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

They have been charging people with terrorism for breathing on people. Students are going to do dumb things like that just because they are students. What do teachers and administrators do with that? If Sally goes home and tells her mother Tommy is breathing on her, the school HAS to to something. 

Buses? How would that work? 

If a kid refuses to wear a mask? 

All those young kids coming into a school with runny noses, wow! 

Sports? Our schools are like the center of the community in so many ways. 

I’d hate to be making decisions trying to make this work. 

God bless those in education. 

Two questions you  are easy, if kid is intentionally being unsafe he is suspended, second time he is put online for rest of year. Contact sports must be eliminated for this year at high school level, since they can not make an informed decision. But I appreciate you being reasonable and seeing that the answers are not one size fits all.

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I really can't remotely :lol: see that working.

First of all, it requires more money. You need money for each position you have "supervising" the class.

And who are the supervisors? Substitute teachers? EAs? Security Guards?

That adds more money to those positions being taken away from their other jobs.

And we haven't even talked about the classroom management nightmare that would be having 20-30 students sitting in a room with their teacher not physically present. It could actually be a safety and liability issue, honestly

Wow, it's almost as if I addressed and acknowledged all of this in the second half of my post ?‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo Timmy said:

Two questions you  are easy, if kid is intentionally being unsafe he is suspended, second time he is put online for rest of year. Contact sports must be eliminated for this year at high school level, since they can not make an informed decision. But I appreciate you being reasonable and seeing that the answers are not one size fits all.

I honestly feel sorry for the people who have to make the decision about sports. It’s so big for so many reasons. I know it was my whole life when I was in school, and it’s a reason many kids go to school. And parents are insane to begin with, telling a gang ho parent their kid won’t get to play, when they were planning on scholarships or just totally into sports won’t be fun. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

"Not too many kids per classroom"

That's the problem.

My school has classes that have had 40 students in a single classroom. I haven't seen that in my room, but 30+ multiple times. 

So how exactly does a public High School campus with 2,000+ students on campus limit students in classrooms AND not split the student body into staggered learning with a certain % on campus at a time and the rest doing distance learning?

Class size is something that has mattered to me long before the pandemic, and it is an issue imo. What would you say the average dimensions of a classroom are for your school? Is every room in the school being utilized concurrently? 

I could see allowing students that are excelling across the board to continue learning from home as an option to reduce the population a bit. I think there are options.