Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DefenseWins

NBA players to wear monitoring rings

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I was trying to invest in it assuming that it will jump in value with the exposure from the NBA. It’s not publicly traded though (at least that I’m aware of).

It’s all the same. Generally, if John Q Public has the information, it isn’t likely to move the market very much as it will already be priced in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Big brother wants to know what sexy dreams the players are having at night...It’s a little kinky, but I like it- it’s good, wholesome fun...?

Edited by JaCrispy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

It’s all the same. Generally, if John Q Public has the information, it isn’t likely to move the market very much as it will already be priced in. 

There’s a pretty good chance kirb knew about it before most of the public as he’s worked in the nba 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, disco said:

I actually have used an Oura ring for awhile. It's nothing magical, it's basically just a Fitbit or Apple Watch that also tracks heart rate variability. It's a cool device but I'm skeptical they've been reliably able to identify signals/indicators of COVID (they've been collecting data to  try and do so since ~April)

 

Apple Watches track HRV.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

 

Apple Watches track HRV.  

 

As I understand it Apple Watch checks HRV only a few times daily vs continuous tracking from Oura (at least overnight - not sure about during the day)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2020 at 5:26 PM, dwight in philly said:

Seriously?

Looks like quackery to me.

 

I'm surprised these leagues don't heat up a branding iron and sear their logos into the flesh of the players at this point.


They are like slabs of meat.  

 

Highly paid meat.

 

?

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2020 at 6:04 PM, Doc said:

 

No one is getting burned at the stake or branded if they get COVID.  But billions of dollars are at stake and athletes, and people in general, just don't listen.

No one is getting burned at the stake, but we’re using a test that has extremely questionable accuracy to determine who is safe vs unsafe to leave their home. That has some of the markings of a witch hunt to me. I wish more “experts” would begin to speak out about how inaccurate the COVID 19 test is. A positive test can alter someone’s life, and it’s not even reliable, nor do we have enough knowledge to really know when someone is no longer contagious, but simply colonized with the virus. I have a major issue with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

No one is getting burned at the stake, but we’re using a test that has extremely questionable accuracy to determine who is safe vs unsafe to leave their home. That has some of the markings of a witch hunt to me. I wish more “experts” would begin to speak out about how inaccurate the COVID 19 test is. A positive test can alter someone’s life, and it’s not even reliable, nor do we have enough knowledge to really know when someone is no longer contagious, but simply colonized with the virus. I have a major issue with that. 

Witch Hunt? Who exactly is the witch being hunted? This is global

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Plano said:

Witch Hunt? Who exactly is the witch being hunted? This is global

The fact that you get placed on a potentially endless quarantine (unable to work) based on a test with questionable accuracy, feels like a witch hunt. I’m not saying it is, I’m just saying that we are using limited scientific knowledge to make big decisions that impact people’s lives. The accuracy of the Covid 19 swab test is terrible, but you rarely hear that in the media. I expect my position on this to be very unpopular, but the reliability of the test is a joke. 

Edited by SirAndrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

The fact that you get placed on a potentially endless quarantine (unable to work) based on a test with questionable accuracy, feels like a witch hunt. I’m not saying it is, I’m just saying that we are using limited scientific knowledge to make big decisions that impact people’s lives. The accuracy of the Covid 19 swab test is terrible, but you rarely hear that in the media. I expect my position on this to be very unpopular, but the reliability of the test is a joke. 

I can't argue with that. The reliability is less than stellar, that's for sure. 

 

I think we're just rolling with the best possible "guesses" at this point, which is absolutely frustrating. Hoping for a bigtime breakthrough coming soon. This has to end. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Plano said:

I can't argue with that. The reliability is less than stellar, that's for sure. 

 

I think we're just rolling with the best possible "guesses" at this point, which is absolutely frustrating. Hoping for a bigtime breakthrough coming soon. This has to end. 

Exactly, it’s just frustrating that we know so little about this virus, and sometimes it seems like people forget that. No one knows what a positive a month after the first positive means. Are you still contagious? Or is it dead virus ? False negatives are a huge problem because the test is miserable. People flinch, or the healthcare provider doesn’t administer it correctly.
 

Additionally, those placed on quarantine as asymptomatic people (potentially longer than a month, if they keep testing positive), only result from people being tested by their employer, or for a medical procedure. What about the millions of young people, unemployed, and those who aren’t required by work to be tested ? They are all running around as asymptomatic carriers, and the only people being forced into quarantine are the ones who were made to tested. That’s not how you eliminate the virus from society. It’s everywhere at this point, I wish we’d quit acting like testing is going to stop it. Testing only gives us numbers, but isn’t really stopping anything. Wear a mask, maintain social distance, and be smart. That’s the best we can do. It’s too late for testing to eradicate the virus. 

Edited by SirAndrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Exactly, it’s just frustrating that we know so little about this virus, and sometimes it seems like people forget that. No one knows what a positive a month after the first positive means. Are you still contagious? Or is it dead virus ? False negatives are a huge problem because the test is miserable. People flinch, or the healthcare provider doesn’t administer it correctly.
 

Additionally, those placed on quarantine as asymptomatic people (potentially longer than a month, if they keep testing positive), only result from people being tested by their employer, or for a medical procedure. What about the millions of young people, unemployed, and those who aren’t required by work to be tested ? They are all running around as asymptomatic carriers, and the only people being forced into quarantine are the ones who were made to tested. That’s not how you eliminate the virus from society. It’s everywhere at this point, I wish we’d quit acting like testing is going to stop it. Testing only gives us numbers, but isn’t really stopping anything. Wear a mask, maintain social distance, and be smart. That’s the best we can do. It’s too late for testing to eradicate the virus. 

That's what masks, social distancing and stay home orders are for. We can see from the rest of the world that those things do in fact work. The US is only major country left that still hasn't figured this out.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The proposed resumption of the NBA and NHL seasons is a joke.  Just pack it in, and if they are lucky, the 20-21 seasons can start on time come October.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

No one is getting burned at the stake, but we’re using a test that has extremely questionable accuracy to determine who is safe vs unsafe to leave their home. That has some of the markings of a witch hunt to me. I wish more “experts” would begin to speak out about how inaccurate the COVID 19 test is. A positive test can alter someone’s life, and it’s not even reliable, nor do we have enough knowledge to really know when someone is no longer contagious, but simply colonized with the virus. I have a major issue with that. 

 

False positive RT- PCR tests are very rare.  It's the nature of the test.  The unreliability of the test lies in false negatives, which may not be the fault of the test - poor sample collection, poor sample storage, or simply virus hanging out somewhere else.

 

"Simply colonized with the virus" could still be a problem if shedding live virus.  Need studies to show whether such people (if they exist) are or are not infectious.  I'd like to know how many people are on "endless quarantine" though - got any source or data?

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 10:18 AM, PetermansRedemption said:

It’s all the same. Generally, if John Q Public has the information, it isn’t likely to move the market very much as it will already be priced in. 

Two economists walk down the street and seeing a $20 bill lying on the sidewalk. The first economist says, "Look at that $20 bill." The second says, "That can't really be a $20 bill lying there, because if it were, someone would have picked it up already."

 

So they walk on, leaving the $20 bill undisturbed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed that 3 pointer because of that ring.

21 minutes ago, nrenegar said:

Two economists walk down the street and seeing a $20 bill lying on the sidewalk. The first economist says, "Look at that $20 bill." The second says, "That can't really be a $20 bill lying there, because if it were, someone would have picked it up already."

 

So they walk on, leaving the $20 bill undisturbed.

I've heard of the poo dollar but the poo 20$ might work better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 9:40 AM, SirAndrew said:

The fact that you get placed on a potentially endless quarantine (unable to work) based on a test with questionable accuracy, feels like a witch hunt. I’m not saying it is, I’m just saying that we are using limited scientific knowledge to make big decisions that impact people’s lives. The accuracy of the Covid 19 swab test is terrible, but you rarely hear that in the media. I expect my position on this to be very unpopular, but the reliability of the test is a joke. 

 

The accuracy of the swab test is estimated to be 95% and the rapid test 89% that is not good to this type of thing where 99% or higher is needed. But 90% or higher accuracy still provides valuable information. Countries like South Korea and Japan used these tests as the backbone of their containment plan and it was a helpful tool.

 

So to dismiss these tests as having no value is simply not true.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 1:01 PM, SirAndrew said:

Exactly, it’s just frustrating that we know so little about this virus, and sometimes it seems like people forget that. No one knows what a positive a month after the first positive means. Are you still contagious? Or is it dead virus ? False negatives are a huge problem because the test is miserable. People flinch, or the healthcare provider doesn’t administer it correctly.
 

Additionally, those placed on quarantine as asymptomatic people (potentially longer than a month, if they keep testing positive), only result from people being tested by their employer, or for a medical procedure. What about the millions of young people, unemployed, and those who aren’t required by work to be tested ? They are all running around as asymptomatic carriers, and the only people being forced into quarantine are the ones who were made to tested. That’s not how you eliminate the virus from society. It’s everywhere at this point, I wish we’d quit acting like testing is going to stop it. Testing only gives us numbers, but isn’t really stopping anything. Wear a mask, maintain social distance, and be smart. That’s the best we can do. It’s too late for testing to eradicate the virus. 

based on studying real live infected people, the main WHO researcher determined that it was "very rare" for those without symptoms to spread the virus

However, this conclusion was quickly condemned for not fitting the narrative

 

The entire mask farce would be exposed since it would be clear that only sick people should wear them

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...