Covid 19 vs Trump

50 minutes ago, SoTier said:

What has any of that to do Covid Donnie's lies about the seriousness of the Covid-19 pandemic?

My assumption is that if you take the time to consider the government's reaction to the seriousness of the COVID-19 pandemic, and feel it is reasonable to make derogatory comments about folks who disagree with you, then it would seem reasonable that you would consider the totality of the response. 

I consider the big picture on most issues, especially as it relates to the modeling of appropriate behavior as defined by those in charge.  It seems to me there is a major disconnect in the approach to addressing the 'seriousness of the COVID-19 pandemic' when those in charge flex legislative authority on hair dressers/barber shops/plumbers/swimming pool repair firms/attorneys/title companies/school teachers/movie theaters/gyms and other industries, yet full-throatedly support and often participate in outdoor gatherings/protests with thousands of people converging on one spot at a designated point in time.  

I'm guessing you don't see that disconnect, or don't see it as a disconnect at all.  It bothers me because based on what our political leaders are saying, maybe:

1. They believe COVID-19 is much more transmittable in St. Paul the Apostle Church parking lot during a socail-distanced prayer-in than it would be in Times Square with 22,000 people milling about; or
  2. They encouraged the protests with an eye toward some sort of social engineering to cull out the weakest of the herd and their extended families, because for several months the message was 'be out and about and you or someone you know dies', but then suddenly it wasn't.
  3. They don't think it's as serious as they originally claimed, but that doesn't make sense because they keep saying it's a life or death issue;

I just wondered how you saw it, but since you didn't see it, I humbly withdraw the question to avoid putting you on the spot.  

Just now, Gene Frenkle said:

In infinite alternate universes.

None of which even remotely resemble the one in which the United States of America exists in 2020.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

July 7, 2020 - US sets single day record of 55,274 new cases of Covid-19 while Covid Donnie claims "we're in a good place" in regards to the pandemic.

Please explain how this "record" matters, in light of the death rate being so low...

July 9, 2020 -- the positivity rate for coronavirus in NY over the last 7 days has fallen to 1.13% while the positivity rate in Arizona for the same period is 26.81%, in Florida 19.06, and in Texas 15.59.

Multiple states report record deaths and coronavirus hospitalizations. 

Trump continues to claim that the rising coronavirus cases are because of increased testing despite the fact that the number of positive case are rising faster than the rising number of tests.  

Trump -- "We did everything right."  "We saved millions of lives."

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

July 9, 2020 -- the positivity rate for coronavirus in NY over the last 7 days has fallen to 1.13% while the positivity rate in Arizona for the same period is 26.81%, in Florida 19.06, and in Texas 15.59.

Trump continues to claim that the rising coronavirus cases are because of increased testing despite the fact that the number of positive case are rising faster than the rising number of tests.  

You have to be the worst kind of partisan to not understand that the President has near ZERO power in a pandemic.  

The States have to make the decisions and go to the Feds when help (ppe production, etc) is needed.  

The Task Force advises.  It was formed in January.  Every decision is made by the States using its guidelines.  

If the President were to do the things Team Apocalypse wants him to do the Executive Branch will have assumed powers I don't want to see it come close to having.  

It isnt Trump v Covid.  It's the States.

So what would you have wanted Trump to do?  I'm curious what new powers you are willing to give him.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

I often do the thought experiment where theoretically Trump issues a strict stay-at-home order nationwide for 3 weeks back in mid March, then (sanctimoniously, like Cuomo) tells everyone to wear a mask if they UGH ABSOLUTELY HAAAAAAVE TO go out in public.  I’m sure everyone who is constantly reminding us how poor of a job he’s doing would have happily went along with his edicts... right?  RIGHT???

• Haha (+1) 1

The scary thing is as poorly as the federal and state government has handled the response to this virus, can you see a President HR Clinton doing anything uniquely different besides possibly a lot less tweeting that would have presented a better outcome today?

Do you still get all the same poor decisions in that alternate 2020? Is government just incompetent, no matter whos at the podium?

My fear is that we've reached a level of incompetency where there's no hope for a vaccine. We, as in the human race, no longer possess the chops to get it done, no matter the money we throw at it. 

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Let's not let facts get in the way of hyperbole though. Notice this graph shows a seasonal baseline that includes Pneumonia and the flu along with Covid. Alas, it must suck seeing we are back to a normal baseline for deaths of these three COMBINED!

This graph shows pneumonia and influenza (P&I) mortality data provided to CDC by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) Mortality Reporting System.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

Just now, dpberr said:

My fear is that we've reached a level of incompetency where there's no hope for a vaccine. We, as in the human race, no longer possess the chops to get it done, no matter the money we throw at it.

Don't worry, the liberal egghead scientists will bail us out. Given the technology and computing power available today, we'll manufacture a vaccine faster than at any time in the past. It's a matter of time.

Yes, I'm sure all the idiots here and their lefty heroes in Washington who are blaming Trump would have lined right up to praise him if he'd ordered a full lock down in late January, canceled the Super Bowl, etc.

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

I often do the thought experiment where theoretically Trump issues a strict stay-at-home order nationwide for 3 weeks back in mid March, then (sanctimoniously, like Cuomo) tells everyone to wear a mask if they UGH ABSOLUTELY HAAAAAAVE TO go out in public.  I’m sure everyone who is constantly reminding us how poor of a job he’s doing would have happily went along with his edicts... right?  RIGHT???

My only issue would be that a politician I don't agree with would be more likely to get reelected but I'd swallow that bitter pill because he actually did the right thing and not the easy thing. Let's not forget he wouldn't of just been saying it himself all his experts that he's been contradicting in our timeline would be there supporting him.

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

The scary thing is as poorly as the federal and state government has handled the response to this virus, can you see a President HR Clinton doing anything uniquely different besides possibly a lot less tweeting that would have presented a better outcome today?

Do you still get all the same poor decisions in that alternate 2020? Is government just incompetent, no matter whos at the podium?

So are you saying our government is fundamentally broken in such a way that it can't deal with a crisis such as this like so many other countries have?

• Thank you (+1) 1