Josh Norman speaks live in Buffalo about social injustice ; Cole Beasley opens up about current unrest in new song

Every form of American music is rooted in the blues, which black people basically invented.

Take a blues song and:

• speed it up - rock and roll
  • use acoustic instruments - folk
  • crank it up and add distortion - heavy metal
  • change the emphasized beat - reggae
  • add a southern accent and maybe a pedal steel guitar - country
  • throw in a banjo and/or mandolin - bluegrass
  • adjust the groove - R&B
  • use only the "magic" I-IV-V-vi chord progression and some vapid lyrics - pop
  • emphasize the beat and talk instead of singing - rap

You can argue that the music industry didn't think much of these genres until white people started recording them, but that's just acknowledging that the industry was (and to a large extent, still is) racist.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, HappyBillsFan said:

The Beasty Boys were key to getting Def Records off the ground, strictly because they were white... they need credit for the whole genre... without them, who knows what would have happened. 

The one that came even before them was Blondie... a white, woman rapper.

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Every form of American music is rooted in the blues, which black people basically invented.

Take a blues song and:

You can argue that the music industry didn't think much of these genres until white people started recording them, but that's just acknowledging that the industry was (and to a large extent, still is) racist.

Way oversimplified. 
You're way overlooking the huge influence of Scots/Irish music on Appalachian music, and the huge influence of Appalachian music on Folk, early country, and bluegrass.

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Way oversimplified. 
You're way overlooking the huge influence of Scots/Irish music on Appalachian music, and the huge influence of Appalachian music on Folk, early country, and bluegrass.

Oversimplified, yes, and I agree about other influences. But at the core, all those styles, including Appalachian, are offshoots of the blues.

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

While Elvis invented rap as everybody knows, the black community really drove the direction and advancement of rap until Vanilla Ice entered the scene and made the genre completely uncool for a number of years.  DMX and his provocative barking ultimately revived rap music as a legitimate art form in 1998 but it has been all down hill from there.  Cole Beasley is also a rapper and confessed person who loves to rap.

The more you know.  

Budgie of Caninus revived provocative barking...

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

While Elvis invented rap as everybody knows, the black community really drove the direction and advancement of rap until Vanilla Ice entered the scene and made the genre completely uncool for a number of years.  DMX and his provocative barking ultimately revived rap music as a legitimate art form in 1998 but it has been all down hill from there.  Cole Beasley is also a rapper and confessed person who loves to rap.

The more you know.  

Where does Al Gore fit in? I think I’m missing out on some stuff.......

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, HappyBillsFan said:

You are personally responsible for giving people infractions for this kind of political nonsense that you are doing. If you are left and woke, this board is all for it. But if you have a counter argument, you will be suspended and banned... communism here we come, yikes 

Dude, if you freakin' clicked, you would see it links to football player Von Miller's piece in Time Magazine.

The quote is by football player Von Miller, from that piece.

PS: Maybe it's not your political views....maybe it's the things you do, and the manner in which you choose to express them. 

18 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The more you know.  

What about Colt Ford ? ?

19 hours ago, HappyBillsFan said:

The Beasty Boys were key to getting Def Records off the ground, strictly because they were white... they need credit for the whole genre... without them, who knows what would have happened. 

I honestly can't tell if your posts are serious or sarcasm but either way you are a clear TROLL. I honestly never thought I would say this but WELCOME TO MY IGNORE LIST! I've been on Bills message boards over 15 years and you are the first and probably last person I block. Im sure a **** like you will get a kick out of that.

19 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Take a blues song and:

I think country came from folk music which may be rooted elsewhere. But i do see your point. 

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was hoping Norman would call out Beasley for committing the most atrocious act of cultural appropriation since Al Jolson.

I mean he does have a black wife and he can dunk too.  And this is why stereotypes are wrong because this is not who I though a dude named Cole from Texas would be like.  One of my favorite Bills. Great signing. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean he does have a black wife and he can dunk too.  And this is why stereotypes are wrong because this is not who I though a dude named Cole from Texas would be like.  One of my favorite Bills. Great signing. 

Beasley can dunk!?  Just had to look up his height (5' 8")...that's crazy athleticism.

3 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Beasley can dunk!?  Just had to look up his height (5' 8")...that's crazy athleticism.

https://www.stack.com/a/5-foot-8-cole-beasley-throws-down-massive-dunk-on-instagram

there are people that look at a guy like Beasley and think they can play in the nfl.  No you can’t.  These guys are another level.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

https://www.stack.com/a/5-foot-8-cole-beasley-throws-down-massive-dunk-on-instagram

there are people that look at a guy like Beasley and think they can play in the nfl.  No you can’t.  These guys are another level.  

Agreed.  Man that is impressive.  I can dunk on my son's fisher price rim.  But that is also only 3 feet tall lol.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Agreed.  Man that is impressive.  I can dunk on my son's fisher price rim.  But that is also only 3 feet tall lol.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" 

keep practicing and you’ll be in the nba dunk contest in no time. ?

• Haha (+1) 1