Davis Webb running the FL workouts?

eball

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Barkley’s start was so bad last year there is a chance he will be always be available even if he’s not on the 53.  

Wasn’t Barkley a FA pickup mid season in 2018? 
Nice to hear about Webb. I think he sticks to the practice squad, or maybe the third qb if the staff decides to keep 3.
I have a feeling McDermott is going to love Fromm. I also would rather have Fromm as the backup if they only keep 2 quarterbacks. Fromm has one of his best seasons as a true freshman at UGA. Came in for Jacob Eason and never gave the job back. Fromm is built for the backup role. Cool under pressure, limited talent, but smart and likable. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I wonder how much the coaching staff was actually in on this. 

They aren’t allowed to be so I’d say none. These guys have mostly been in the system and are pros. They know how to work on their own. That’s the expectation these days. It used to be you come to training camp to get in shape to play. Now you come to training camp ready to play. 

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

I’ll bet SM is running practices thru Webb, and giving them specific things to work on, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

I wouldn’t be so confident in that. If that ever comes out you are violating the CBA. Teams don’t do that. The players have the playbooks and know the expectation. They don’t need a coaching staff to run routes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I live an hour and 15 mins from Met life stadium. This guy (Webb) just flat out never got a look and it was completely puzzling to Giant fans. Eli was done for the last 3 or 4 years but the team just refused to offend him by ever taking him out. Even in lost seasons, they kept trotting out the guy just to appease his ego. Webb was a guy that a lot of fans and even some of the media, were clamoring for. He certainly has potential and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he could play. I think now thought, you are running into the Fromm deal. This staff absolutely loves the guys they draft and if history taught us anything...the guys they draft WILL play. I got to believe the backup job is borderline Fromm's for good.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They aren’t allowed to be so I’d say none. These guys have mostly been in the system and are pros. They know how to work on their own. That’s the expectation these days. It used to be you come to training camp to get in shape to play. Now you come to training camp ready to play. 

I wouldn’t be so confident in that. If that ever comes out you are violating the CBA. Teams don’t do that. The players have the playbooks and know the expectation. They don’t need a coaching staff to run routes.

I understand the CBA limits, I still would not be surprised if something like a a modification to the playbook, Emailed to their I pads without incriminating verbiage etc etc...

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

McDermott wouldnt. I could see Daboll though trying to “face time them with his fat face” while they are there so he can watch the drills. I can’t remember which player made that comment about Daboll last year ?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I’ll bet SM is running practices thru Webb, and giving them specific things to work on, jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

I don’t think so in any direct way.  I am sure SM gave them all specific things to work on and most likely a bunch of plays that they need, but my guess is Webb in working with Josh and Matt is running the workout based upon the plays and plans given and then their own take to have fun.

I think they are running it how they want, but using the specifics given to them in the off-season planning.

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I understand the CBA limits, I still would not be surprised if something like a a modification to the playbook, Emailed to their I pads without incriminating verbiage etc etc...

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

McDermott wouldnt. I could see Daboll though trying to “face time them with his fat face” while they are there so he can watch the drills. I can’t remember which player made that comment about Daboll last year ?

Just don’t think that the juice is worth the squeeze. The players don’t need to involve the coaches to run passing drills. If they can’t handle that as pros we have a bigger problem. These QBs have been in the system for a few years. They know the plays. Based on all of the videos though it was just passing drills. The receivers run the route tree while the QBs throw the route tree. It’s much more of a light workout than a football practice. This isn’t when they are installing offense. Just throwing and catching. Teams though do these kinds of things every offseason. 

3 hours ago, wppete said:

Hes a Cal grad after all. Heard Beane in an interview after the draft and was praising Davis Webb for his smarts, professionalism and the support he gives Josh Allen every week.Its going to be a tough call for the Backup QB cuts. Cant believe we even talking about a tough QB cut in training camp. Such a good feeling that we have our franchise guy and 3 solid backups with promise. 

He also grew up in Dallas and was a big Stars fan when they won the cup against the Sabres. He thinks "No Goal" was a good goal. Boo that man!

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t think so in any direct way.  I am sure SM gave them all specific things to work on and most likely a bunch of plays that they need, but my guess is Webb in working with Josh and Matt is running the workout based upon the plays and plans given and then their own take to have fun.

I think they are running it how they want, but using the specifics given to them in the off-season planning.

I agree with both of you guys.  I would be amazed if teams don't have a section of the team tablet with "suggestions" on off season training, workouts,

diet, etc along with a "how to" section for group workouts.  None of this would go against the CBA rules.  Plus these guys have been through

training camps and practices to know how it's done.  It even makes the rumors of Webb running the sessions even more likely.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree with both of you guys.  I would be amazed if teams don't have a section of the team tablet with "suggestions" on off season training, workouts,

diet, etc along with a "how to" section for group workouts.  None of this would go against the CBA rules.  Plus these guys have been through

training camps and practices to know how it's done.  It even makes the rumors of Webb running the sessions even more likely.

They are allowed to work with the strength and conditioning team and the medical team. Just not the coaches.

Anyone who thinks that THIS staff is breaking the rules of the CBA are nuts. They are like boy scouts, and it would be incredibly stupid of them because it isn't even remotely worth it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

They are allowed to work with the strength and conditioning team and the medical team. Just not the coaches.

Anyone who thinks that THIS staff is breaking the rules of the CBA are nuts. They are like boy scouts, and it would be incredibly stupid of them because it isn't even remotely worth it.

They could be.  How could anyone really prove it?

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Nobody’s trading anything for Barkley.?

The opinion of Barkley seems to be diminishing by the hour with some fans.

Not saying he's a good backup, but it's not like he's the worst QB in the history of the game or anything. Last year fans were pretty happy to go into the season with Allen and Barkley as the QB's. Fans saw Barkley come in and beat the Jets.

If Beane can get draft capital for AJ McCarron, he might be able to for Barkley.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

They could be.  How could anyone really prove it?

All it takes is a player or two complaining to the player's association. Everything is virtual so there is a virtual trail. If the coaches are sending them things on their tablets or phones that would be evidence. There's a million ways they can get caught.

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

All it takes is a player or two complaining to the player's association. Everything is virtual so there is a virtual trail. If the coaches are sending them things on their tablets or phones that would be evidence. There's a million ways they can get caught.

I think they could just run it all through Webb, who they could have, say, promised a PS spot at least.  Players showing up is voluntary and no one would have to be the wiser.

Edited by Doc

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'll type slow so all can hear what I'm saying.  I'm not saying the coaches are watching and talking to the guys while they practice.

I am saying that what they are doing (the same stuff as in practice) is known to all.

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Not being naive or homer-ish but this team doesn’t show any signs of player vs coach strife.

The Bills seem like a “ team” in the sense of the SuperBowl era where everyone is on the same page.

My original question wasn’t suggesting anything more than a “ check in” between Webb and Roman and/ or a position coach or two. A quick chat without a bunch of specificity.

I would be Shocked  if anyone at these workouts narced out a coach. I can clearly imagine Allen or Webb reminding everyone to keep it on the down low if any coach input was discussed.

Honestly, the coaches have nothing to do with these workouts. These guys are professionals. They work at their craft. I’ve been working from home for almost the last 3 months. No one has to call me to tell me what to do. I understand the expectation of my job. I understand how to do the job. This is no different.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Honestly, the coaches have nothing to do with these workouts. These guys are professionals. They work at their craft. I’ve been working from home for almost the last 3 months. No one has to call me to tell me what to do. I understand the expectation of my job. I understand how to do the job. This is no different.

Exactly Kirby, they are doing the exact drills they have done at OTAs and TC a hundred times.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Not being naive or homer-ish but this team doesn’t show any signs of player vs coach strife.

The Bills seem like a “ team” in the sense of the SuperBowl era where everyone is on the same page.

My original question wasn’t suggesting anything more than a “ check in” between Webb and Roman and/ or a position coach or two. A quick chat without a bunch of specificity.

I would be Shocked  if anyone at these workouts narced out a coach. I can clearly imagine Allen or Webb reminding everyone to keep it on the down low if any coach input was discussed.

Out of curiosity what specifically do you think that the coaches could contribute to this that the player’s couldn’t handle on their own? They are running routes and throwing to them. There are 9 routes in the route tree and then 2 or 3 others that can be incorporated. It’s not like it’s complicated. They weren’t out there doing route combinations or playing against defenses or anything. They are running those 9 routes vs. air and the QBs are throwing them the ball. You don’t need coaches for that. You certainly don’t need them with the threat of a CBA violation penalty. Teams have been running these QB passing drills in the offseason for as long as I can remember. This isn’t unique to us or now. It’s everyone doing it.

With that being said I could absolutely see the value in having a trainer on hand. If someone tweaks a hamstring or something you’d want to start working on it. You want to make sure that they are taped, etc...

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1