Davis Webb running the FL workouts?

eball

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

Because of his arm strength?  He can probably improve it to the point where it’s not a complete detriment. And if he knows his limitations he can avoid throws that he shouldn’t be making.

Fromm is a lock if he looks halfway decent. If not they can cut him and put him on the practice squad with no problem or just move on from him.  And if all he ever becomes is a back up quarterback, that’s still not bad for a fifth round pick.

And if Webb is as much of a student of the game as they’re saying, I agree that Barkley is probably a goner.

They aren’t going to risk TRYING to sneak him to the PS. If he looks horrible it’s a risk that they aren’t willing to take. That holds especially true with an abbreviated offseason. 

His arm strength won’t improve much. He’s a big, experienced, developed prospect. He is smart though. He won’t be Peterman with a lack of arm strength making mind-numbing decisions. I agree it would be a good use of a 5th round pick. If he had Case Keenum’s career we’d be happy. He would insulate this team.

Webb on the PS could be the end of Barkley. They both could be gone. Barkley is an okay backup imo. He’s one of Josh’s closest friends and by all accounts a great teammate. I could see him cut and getting added back if Josh gets hurt too. Barkley could end up in a lot of different spots this offseason.

I’d probably keep him though if I had a choice. This team is ready to compete IMO and the last thing that they need is uncertainty in that room. If Josh misses a month they need to go 2-2. Fromm may end up getting the ball but Barkley is capable of being 2-2 with this team. 

On 5/31/2020 at 7:14 AM, tumaro02 said:

It speaks to the argument he may one day be headed to the coaching ranks. It also allowed Josh who organized the workouts to concentrate on running the plays correctly and teaching Diggs and the rooks exactly what he wanted done. It was also nice to see Smoke and Beasley to help Diggs. Kudos to Webb. Backup QB will be real interesting. I wonder if Fromm had a conventional off season if he had a real chance of supplanting Barkley but with the strange off season its hard to see that. Then what does that mean for Webb? Will they keep Fromm on the 53 and keep Webb on the practice squad?

this is what I would do.  I think Fromm gets poached if we put him on the practice squad, I don't think that happens with Webb.  

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think Fromm is a lock. Barkley is the one fighting for the roster spot imo. If the Bills think that Fromm is ready for the #2 role (which he might be) Barkley could be gone.

I’m on record as Fromm won’t be more than a backup in the NFL. With that being said, one of Fromm’s biggest strengths is his floor. He isn’t some guy that’s going to come into the league and take giant leaps forward. He’s a cerebral, experienced, SEC quarterback. His learning curve is as small as just about any rookie can have. His ceiling just isn’t that high.

I remember when we had a similar type QB in the early 90's.  High floor, perhaps lowish ceiling.  Worked out well then.  

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They aren’t going to risk TRYING to sneak him to the PS. If he looks horrible it’s a risk that they aren’t willing to take. That holds especially true with an abbreviated offseason. 

His arm strength won’t improve much. He’s a big, experienced, developed prospect. He is smart though. He won’t be Peterman with a lack of arm strength making mind-numbing decisions. I agree it would be a good use of a 5th round pick. If he had Case Keenum’s career we’d be happy. He would insulate this team.

Webb on the PS could be the end of Barkley. They both could be gone. Barkley is an okay backup imo. He’s one of Josh’s closest friends and by all accounts a great teammate. I could see him cut and getting added back if Josh gets hurt too. Barkley could end up in a lot of different spots this offseason.

I’d probably keep him though if I had a choice. This team is ready to compete IMO and the last thing that they need is uncertainty in that room. If Josh misses a month they need to go 2-2. Fromm may end up getting the ball but Barkley is capable of being 2-2 with this team. 

True, the abbreviated off-season may force them to keep him on the roster.  But in any other year, a late-round QB who looks horrible wouldn't be kept.

I disagree on arm strength not being able to be improved but obviously agree that he won't put himself in bad situations like Peterman did.  At least that's what I believe and will continue to believe until I see otherwise.

If Josh can rely on Webb like he does Barkley, I'd PS Webb and have just Josh and Fromm on the roster, and allow Webb to be on the sidelines during games.  But Webb's never played in a real game before so that gives me pause.

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

True, the abbreviated off-season may force them to keep him on the roster.  But in any other year, a late-round QB who looks horrible wouldn't be kept.

I disagree on arm strength not being able to be improved but obviously agree that he won't put himself in bad situations like Peterman did.  At least that's what I believe and will continue to believe until I see otherwise.

If Josh can rely on Webb like he does Barkley, I'd PS Webb and have just Josh and Fromm on the roster, and allow Webb to be on the sidelines during games.  But Webb's never played in a real game before so that gives me pause.

Andy Reid never played in a real game either and he’s a pretty good QB coach. I don’t worry about that if his role is mentor. Webb wouldn’t need to play here. If Allen goes out for an extended period of time Fromm will get the ball and a vet will be signed to back him up (presumably Barkley). This is assuming that Barkley is released which neither of us thinks is likely.

I honestly don’t worry that much about experience when it comes to playing. Everyone will play their 1st game at some point. Just because you’ve played doesn’t mean you can be successful. Peterman has played and I would take dozens of guys that haven’t over him tomorrow. In the backup role for me it’s more about the ability to go .500 over a month. That’s all that matters to me. You don’t need to win games you just need to not lose them. Fromm feels like a guy that has done that at a high level.

Game manager carries such a negative connotation but it shouldn’t. Fromm is that and in a good way. I felt that way about Tyrod. There’s a reason that he had a winning record here and it isn’t because he went out and won a lot of games. He just didn’t lose them. This Bills team has a lot of talent (and pretty much everywhere). If Josh goes out for a month they’ll need to play good d, run the ball, not turn it over and make a few plays on 3rd down. If they do that they can escape that month without too much damage. It’s what the Saints and Teddy did last year (they actually thrived like that).

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Andy Reid never played in a real game either and he’s a pretty good QB coach. I don’t worry about that if his role is mentor. Webb wouldn’t need to play here. If Allen goes out for an extended period of time Fromm will get the ball and a vet will be signed to back him up (presumably Barkley). This is assuming that Barkley is released which neither of us thinks is likely.

I honestly don’t worry that much about experience when it comes to playing. Everyone will play their 1st game at some point. Just because you’ve played doesn’t mean you can be successful. Peterman has played and I would take dozens of guys that haven’t over him tomorrow. In the backup role for me it’s more about the ability to go .500 over a month. That’s all that matters to me. You don’t need to win games you just need to not lose them. Fromm feels like a guy that has done that at a high level.

Game manager carries such a negative connotation but it shouldn’t. Fromm is that and in a good way. I felt that way about Tyrod. There’s a reason that he had a winning record here and it isn’t because he went out and won a lot of games. He just didn’t lose them. This Bills team has a lot of talent (and pretty much everywhere). If Josh goes out for a month they’ll need to play good d, run the ball, not turn it over and make a few plays on 3rd down. If they do that they can escape that month without too much damage. It’s what the Saints and Teddy did last year (they actually thrived like that).

I agree with all of that and it's true that maybe game experience is  over-rated.  I'd just rather have a backup QB with it than not.  If they feel it's not that important or that Dorsey can provide enough of it as QB coach, I'd just keep Allen and Fromm on the roster, PS Webb, and have him on the sidelines during games.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I agree with all of that and it's true that maybe game experience is  over-rated.  I'd just rather have a backup QB with it than not.  If they feel it's not that important or that Dorsey can provide enough of it as QB coach, I'd just keep Allen and Fromm on the roster, PS Webb, and have him on the sidelines during games.

FWIW I’m with you here to an extent. This holds especially true with a young QB. If I’m the Bills I like having a voice that’s been in QB meetings for a while to help. It’s more about the preparation than the playing for me. Josh is still young enough that a guy like Barkley is important. If I’m the Saints, Tampa or GB though I really don’t care. Give me the best guy behind Brees, Brady and Rodgers. Barkley is as valuable for Allen’s development as he is on the field. We saw that with Darnold last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

He didn't. Allen did.

• 1st & 10 at BUF 41

(8:34 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short left to F.Gore to BUF 46 for 5 yards (J.Burgess). Screen pass, caught at BUF 35.

• 2nd & 5 at BUF 46

(7:51 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to I.McKenzie to BUF 41 for -5 yards (J.Jenkins). Screen pass, caught at BUF 41.

• 3rd & 10 at BUF 41

(7:16 - 1st) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete short left to D.Williams. Underthrown, receiver near sideline at NYJ 45.

Two screen passes too.

I must have already had a good buzz that game.