Minority HC or GM could improve team’s draft position with new proposed resolution

Why do they continue to push this issue?  You hire the best man for what fits your organization.  Just like you draft best players regardless of race.  Last I looked, majority of players are not Caucasian.  So do we push for the league to draft Caucasians first?  NO, you simply go with who you think is best, and fits what your looking for.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Clay Travis right on time.  Gotta give him credit.  The dude who crieD about ESPN being political now has a platform that makes everything political.  

I thought it was a funny tweet. Apolitical too.

8 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

hasn't McD more than once taken away playcalling from Les?

As far as I can recall, I think the only game where he took over all defensive play calls was the second half of the 2018 Chargers debacle. I can't remember for sure but I think the word that came out after that was that McDermott would continue to have Frazier call the defense but McDermott can veto a call if he wants. I'm pretty sure they got on the same page after that, though. I'm sure there are times during games where Sean sees something and communicates to Frazier about it and may suggest certain calls, or just straight up tell him, "I want this on the next down." But yeah, Chargers game is all I can recall and the ol' Google didn't turn up anything else in that regard. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

For anyone legitimately interested in trying to understand the issue, this article does a pretty good job of breaking things down, though there's plenty of issues that can't really be accounted for.

https://www.bannersociety.com/2017/8/9/20726457/black-head-coaches

Essentially, the most likely pathway to becoming a head coach is: Playing QB/C --> QB/OLine Coach --> Coordinator --> Head Coach. Statistically, most minority QBs are moved to other positions when they move up from HS to college. Most minority offensive linemen are put at OT or OG rather than C. Why those position changes occur are highly highly debatable. There's certainly legitimate reasons to move guys out of those positions. For example, my high school team literally threw the ball less than 5 times a game. Our "QB" won regional player of the year, but he couldn't throw a ball to save his life, so he was recruited as RB/CB instead. This kind of thing could innocently impact minorities more than white QBs; it's a case-by-case thing that can't really be accounted for in those position change statistics. It's somewhat reasonable for centers as well, though I think the argument is probably weaker there and it's still a substantial gap. At the time the article was published, roughly 50% of offensive linemen were minorities, but only 9% of centers were.

Because minorities aren't playing QB/C outside of the high school level, they don't get the opportunity to become a QB or OLine coach, which means they don't get the opportunity to become a coordinator, which means they don't get the opportunity to become a head coach.

So bringing it back to this proposal, again, I don't think there's any chance it passes and I'm not sure I think it should pass in the first place. The issue begins much earlier than the NFL ranks but its effects certainly show up in the NFL. I wonder if a version of this proposal might make more sense: incentivizing teams to hire minorities as their QB/OLine coach and just leave the rest of it alone. It's not in the headline, but this proposal does incentivize hiring minority QB coaches in addition to the other levels that are getting more publicity.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If they really want to make a difference they should be focusing on incentivizing entry level and lower level coaching, management, and scouting positions and then provide additional training at those levels. Fill the pipeline and more will rise to the top and actually be QUALIFIED for those HC and GM positions.

Haven't seen the numbers, but I would guess the ethnic ratios are out of whack at all the levels, not just the highest.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I do wonder, for the sake of the conversation, would those who support (or lean that way at least) this proposition find the inverse to be racist? As in, teams getting a boost for hiring white candidates? 

Huh?  You want a boost for 98% of the white coaching/ front office candidates?

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Top of my head?

Kitchens, Judge, Kingsbury, Rhule

And they were hired without merit?

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Huh?  You want a boost for 98% of the white coaching/ front office candidates?

I’m asking if it would be racist if directed towards whites. 

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh I give him credit.  He picked a lane and a group to cater to and he’s made himself a bigger platform.  But he knows what he’s doing with his tweets.  

Pointing to a logical fallacy in the NFL rule proposition? Why is racial inequality acceptable at CB but not at Head coach?

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I do wonder, for the sake of the conversation, would those who support (or lean that way at least) this proposition find the inverse to be racist? As in, teams getting a boost for hiring white candidates? 

If it were the same exact situation, where the vast majority of the league is made up of white players but there's almost no white coaches, then yeah, I don't see why it would be wrong to try to do something about that. It'll never be a thing though.

And again, I tend to lean towards this not being the right proposal in this situation, but I think I'm more open to it than most of the posters here.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

If it were the same exact situation, where the vast majority of the league is made up of white players but there's almost no white coaches, then yeah, I don't see why it would be wrong to try to do something about that. It'll never be a thing though.

And again, I tend to lean towards this not being the right proposal in this situation, but I think I'm more open to it than most of the posters here.

You should pick up Ms Monopoly. Fun for the whole family!