Minority HC or GM could improve team’s draft position with new proposed resolution

Now in perhaps its most aggressive and controversial attempt to address the issue, the league will present a pair of resolutions this coming Tuesday during the owners' virtual meeting that it hopes will level the playing field.

The first would remove the longstanding anti-tampering barrier that permits clubs to block assistant coaches from interviewing for coordinator positions with other clubs, even though having coordinator experience is typically the final and most significant step in becoming a head coach. The other would incentivize the hiring of minorities as head coaches or primary football executives by rewarding teams with improved draft slots, multiple sources told NFL.com.

I thought the Rooney Rule is misguided (though well meaning) because it is nothing more than a box to check where some minority coaching candidates don't even want to be interviewed since it is a waste of their time.  This takes things a step too far as it demeans minority candidates and creates an uneven playing field; each candidate should be considered on his abilities, and nothing else.

• Like (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

How stupid. 

Congratulations Mr. Black candidate, you’ve got the job and it definitely has nothing to do with us getting a bonus because of your melanin. 

60 years of social engineering through education and the media has dimmed the intellect appreciably. Saw a high school textbook from the early sixties in a Goodwill book sale a number of years back. The vocabulary was way beyond what folks normally imbibe and treat as typical for literacy today. How far we have drifted from MLK's desire for merit and character to become the true basis for discernment.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I wonder how this is going to go on this board. ? it’s a very diverse group here.

and yes forcing people to get hired is a problem.  But the lack of diversity at the top levels in the nfl is a serious issue.  And I don’t think it’s racist but rather the buddy buddy system in NFL front offices.  Crappy coaches and executives get passed around because of who they are friends with.  While being a player is a meritocracy, nfl jobs are the opposite of that. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Another good year for this D and Frazier will be gone I fear. Would like to keep him but good for him. 

I wonder about him. I think he will as well, but defensive re-treads don’t seem to get as many shots as offensive re-treads.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Another good year for this D and Frazier will be gone I fear. Would like to keep him but good for him. 

I really like Frazier but I don’t think he will ever be a good head coach.  Seems like a great guy but a little Dick Jauron ish.  Plus, McDermott has such an impact on the defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I wonder how this is going to go on this board. ? it’s a very diverse group here.

and yes forcing people to get hired is a problem.  But the lack of diversity at the top levels in the nfl is a serious issue.  And I don’t think it’s racist but rather the buddy buddy system in NFL front offices.  Crappy coaches and executives get passed around because of who they are friends with.  While being a player is a meritocracy, nfl jobs are the opposite of that. 

Is diversity required to point at an idiotic idea and ridicule it?

I think you have an interesting perspective though, I just don’t see stuff like this as helping the overarching problems that are present. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We'll chalk you up for supporting  "hire token black guys to increase draft position."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

Is diversity required to point at an idiotic idea and ridicule it?

I think you have an interesting perspective though, I just don’t see stuff like this as helping the overarching problems that are present. 

But what are the other options?  Ozzie Newsome and Mike Tomlin are the best at what they do and it has caused no traction at all.  And you have dudes who are terrible at their jobs who constantly get opportunity after opportunity.  

• Like (+1) 2

What a blatantly racist idea.

If you believe the United States has a problem with RACISM, then you don't FIX IT by giving bonuses/perks to organizations for HIRING BASED ON RACE.  

It's completely ass-backwards.  Honestly, I don't know how people come up with this ridiculous garbage.  Maybe instead of testing the players for CTE, they need to check the folks in the NFL offices for brain damage.

By the way, African Americans make up 12-14 percent of the U.S. population, according to the latest census figures.

If you took that percent and multiplied it by 32 teams, that comes to exactly 4.48.  Which means you would expect to see 4-5 African American head coaches in the NFL at any given time.  There are currently FOUR in the league.  

This is a completely made-up and manufactured "problem."

• Like (+1) 20
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But what are the other options?  Ozzie Newsome and Mike Tomlin are the best at what they do and it has caused no traction at all.  And you have dudes who are terrible at their jobs who constantly get opportunity after opportunity.  

Let teams that care to win do what they need to be able to win. The Steelers hired a black guy and have been well rewarded for it. Same with the Ravens, same with the Colts. Meanwhile, the bills hired a black guy to run their team and he was a disaster. The broncos hired a black coach and he was awful. The jets rode with a black coach for about 3 years too long, and now he’s back in the spot he belongs and thriving. 
Meanwhile, the bills hired a bunch of garbage white guys for 20 years and constantly lost because of it. Winning is the only equalizer in this league. Look at the quality of the football mind, not the color. Deciding who to interview or hire based on race is the very definition of racism. 

Forcing equality is not equality. I’m fine with equal opportunity, that ain’t what this is. 

Furthermore, as I’ve debated this before (maybe with you?), you can’t assume causation because of correlation. You can’t say “there’s only x# of black coaches, therefore there’s a racist action against black coaches. That doesn’t work in a vacuum. You have to demonstrate the black (or any other minority, not just black) candidates that are getting passed over exclusively for their race.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, mjt328 said:

What a blatantly racist idea.

If you believe the United States has a problem with RACISM, then you don't FIX IT by giving bonuses/perks to organizations for HIRING BASED ON RACE.  

It's completely ass-backwards.  Honestly, I don't know how people come up with this ridiculous garbage.  Maybe instead of testing the players for CTE, they need to check the folks in the NFL offices for brain damage.

By the way, African Americans make up 12-14 percent of the U.S. population, according to the latest census figures.

If you took that percent and multiplied it by 32 teams, that comes to exactly 4.48.  Which means you would expect to see 4-5 African American head coaches in the NFL at any given time.  There are currently FOUR in the league.  

This is a completely made-up and manufactured "problem."

It’s complicated for sure.  It would nice to have a rational conversation but it’s like discussing the best rap song on a country music board.  

the number of black players in the nfl is ~70%.  So when you understand it that way, the number of Black guys in leadership positions is extremely low.  

again this is different than being a player where you can judge how they perform on their field.  These jobs are very subjective and they are based on who you know.  It’s like a country club and it’s hard to become a member. 

not sure this is the right way but if you were a minority, it’s a start I guess. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2