Why doesn’t the NFL adjust the schedule to reduce team travel?

3 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Do they really need the AFC East playing the AFC West and NFC West this year?

Seems like the league should step in-easy fix. 

just the way it worked out this year.  It’s a once-every-twelve-years occurrence.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

There are business and sales people who fly all over this country every week of the year. Is flying an extra hour or two every other weekend really that challenging for a group of young, fit athletes? 

I agree with you under normal circumstances, but there is a pandemic. I think the league should try to minimize travel time/aircraft exposure as much as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

There are business and sales people who fly all over this country every week of the year. Is flying an extra hour or two every other weekend really that challenging for a group of young, fit athletes? 

On a chartered flight... with just them on it.  Where they get picked up by a bus, with just them on it.... taking them to a hotel.  

If anything i think players will have to be more focused on football as a lot of the distractions aren't going to be there.  Only thing i'd be really worried about this season is weed.  I don't think buffalo has a big weed problem, but with no clubs and weed not being tested in season?  I think it could be an issue for teams.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JetsFan20 said:

I agree with you under normal circumstances, but there is a pandemic. I think the league should try to minimize travel time/aircraft exposure as much as possible. 

What? You somehow believe that being on an airplane for an extra hour is more dangerous than a flight to Miami? If this really about the pandemic, then the NFL should shut down the Jets and Giants. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

On a chartered flight... with just them on it.  Where they get picked up by a bus, with just them on it.... taking them to a hotel.  

If anything i think players will have to be more focused on football as a lot of the distractions aren't going to be there.  Only thing i'd be really worried about this season is weed.  I don't think buffalo has a big weed problem, but with no clubs and weed not being tested in season?  I think it could be an issue for teams.

I mean, players have been doing this for years already.  Not sure what drastic change you think is going to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

teams travel in a bubble... I doubt chartered planes, chartered buses, and secure meeting rooms in hotels pose much, if any, risk to the players. 

The big change is that nobody will be allowed to leave the hotel when on the road, IMO. They will probably not want players interacting with the public in different cities all around the country. 

2 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I mean, players have been doing this for years already.  Not sure what drastic change you think is going to happen.

Well now they moved the testing window to a 2 week period, and there are no suspensions.  If you pass during that 2 week period you have 50 weeks of no testing for weed.  I think it can become an issue when bored players can't do anything else and just smoke all the time.  Hell, it may have already become an issue for guys during social distancing.  Just don't want your guys being fat and lazy - it's professional sports.  

32 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

That is where your argument falls apart. They don’t NEED to play at all. The NFL is not an essential business. It is a giant cash cow that is purely entertainment. 

42 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

especially on chartered planes where they have no responsibility except getting there on time and resting? I never understood the complaining about athletes traveling

27 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Well now they moved the testing window to a 2 week period, and there are no suspensions.  If you pass during that 2 week period you have 50 weeks of no testing for weed.  I think it can become an issue when bored players can't do anything else and just smoke all the time.  Hell, it may have already become an issue for guys during social distancing.  Just don't want your guys being fat and lazy - it's professional sports.  

Plenty of guys have been fat and lazy without weed. Plenty of guys have smoked weed without being fat and lazy. And everyone was already smoking weed to begin with. Nothing will really change there.

The bigger issue is guys being locked out of training facilities and stuck at home, whether they smoke weed or not.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Plenty of guys have been fat and lazy without weed. Plenty of guys have smoked weed without being fat and lazy. And everyone was already smoking weed to begin with. Nothing will really change there.

The bigger issue is guys being locked out of training facilities and stuck at home, whether they smoke weed or not.

Thats true - you end up a lot fatter if you can't work out.  And its easy to cheat on your diet when the nutritionist doesn't ever see you.  

1 hour ago, JetsFan20 said:

Can you explain what the increase in danger is by flying to Arizona vs NE? or Pitt?

And don't say going to San Fran is more dangerous due to more cases as while that's true, if the Bills aren't playing there, then some other team instead is going there.

I'd be more worried about flying to NYC and NE than say Denver

Just now, dneveu said:

I think in professional sports it can be a problem.  In general life - ehhh yes and no.  

Oh for sure - but if a player wants to get baked they can do it no matter what city they are in.

Back to the topic though - as echoed above I'd be more weary at the moment of traveling by plane to major cities like NYC from Buffalo than traveling somewhere further like Seattle. 

The airlines still do not have firm flight schedules) for the period over the normal NFL season.  Most of the teams charter with the airlines.  I wonder what the options will be, as far as charter availability will be concerned?