Convince me that the 2020 Pats are good...

It's pretty stunning to watch the Pats play this poorly.

They're a genuinely bad team right now.  After 2 decades, it's long overdue.

They could be in for a big rebuild now.  Might be an Allen/Tua/Trevor division for awhile, as they reside in the cellar.

I'm not going to hold my breath on them also being bad next year.  Covid opt-outs returning, a lot of cap space to spend, and a better than usual draft spot.  It will be the perfect year for the football gods to screw us and have them actually hit on their picks when everyone thinks they finally are dead and buried.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I was really pulling hard for the Jets. That might have been the last chance to avoid seeing Trevor in the AFCE for the next decade slipped through our fingers.

Unless Trevor pulls the returning to school card or forces the Jets' hand by refusing to play there ala Eli Manning circa '04.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

Unless Trevor pulls the returning to school card or forces the Jets' hand by refusing to play there ala Eli Manning circa '04.  

We can but hope. I doubt a QB turns down New York though. This isn't like turning down San Diego or Elway turning down Baltimore.

7 minutes ago, H2o said:

He will be the #1 pick and with that comes a lot of $$$$. What if he gets hurt next year playing at Clemson? I think he will enter the draft and play for the Jets. If the Jags(the Jets most serious competition) and the Jets finish tied at 1-15 then who gets the #1 pick. Jacksonville's best shot at a victory was last Sunday vs Houston. Their schedule the rest of the way is brutal so they may very well go 1-15.

Just now, H2o said:

Yes, the Jets are totally appealing. :lol:

Tire Fire GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Haha, well quite. But where are the alternatives.... I don't see a route for him to get to New England now, or Atlanta which I thought was the dark horse. The choices are the Jets, the Jags, the Washington Football Team.....

Maybe if he waits a year the Bears really suck? Or Detroit? Are they that much more appealing?

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Haha, well quite. But where are the alternatives.... I don't see a route for him to get to New England now, or Atlanta which I thought was the dark horse. The choices are the Jets, the Jags, the Washington Football Team.....

Maybe if he waits a year the Bears really suck? Or Detroit? Are they that much more appealing?

Not really. Whatever team gets the #1 pick will have an entire new coaching staff coming in. We'll see how it plays out. I really hope he spurns the Jets though in some way, shape, or form if they land #1 overall. 

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

Not really. Whatever team gets the #1 pick will have an entire new coaching staff coming in. We'll see how it plays out. I really hope he spurns the Jets though in some way, shape, or form if they land #1 overall. 

If he does then get ready to here "With the #1 pick in the 2021 NFL draft the NYJ select Justin Fields". Many of the "experts' have him right there with Lawrence in terms of talent.

Cannot say the Patriots are a “GOOD” football.

but they are the perfect example of the NFLs dirty little secret...equating a good team to a good record.

for as old, slow and average as they look...all the covid opt outs, injuries and free agency loses.

Even with all that and a 3-5 record.

they are what?  Literally 4 plays, 4 better decisions from Cam Newton away from being 6-2.

It’s a credit to coaching and game planning.

Still think they are heading for 7-9 though.

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

If he does then get ready to here "With the #1 pick in the 2021 NFL draft the NYJ select Justin Fields". Many of the "experts' have him right there with Lawrence in terms of talent.

I think Fields is a good player, but @YoloinOhio would probably be the best one to ask about his pro prospects. Not sure if he's a system guy or a QB who is going to be legit in the NFL. We've seen many a QB put up gaudy numbers at Ohio St. and then not make it in the NFL. I think it will depend on the coaching staff a lot too.