Saints and Panthers violated draft rules

I gotta assume they didn't know of this rule. But I'm not sure what's worse...them not knowing about a rule that was just emphasized in a memo LAST WEEK, or, them knowing about the rule but being foolish enough to tell on themselves while bragging about how they stuck it to the Panthers.

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I gotta assume they didn't know of this rule. But I'm not sure what's worse...them not knowing about a rule that was just emphasized in a memo LAST WEEK, or, them knowing about the rule but being foolish enough to tell on themselves while bragging about how they stuck it to the Panthers.

oh they all know the rule - just very hard to get caught unless you are stupid enough to blab trying to show how smart you are.

• Like (+1) 2

The league will throw the book at them, but won’t touch the patsies...

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The league will throw the book at them, but won’t touch the patsies...

The only impact might be if they get another comp pick, I’m guessing.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

What strikes me about this is the kid isn't making the roster anyway. It will be Drew, Jameis and Taysom Hill. So in September if the Panthers like him that much they can just take him off waivers. 

I immediately thought that when this stuff became known.

The one significant difference being, that it will tie up a roster spot.

At this current time, I think anything much in the way of a penalty, will amount to little more than a slap on the wrist.

As the Saints drafted the kid, I don't think they are in the frame anyway, it would just be the Panthers, unless the NFL cry shenanigens about how the Saints came by the info.

The reality is that even in a 'normal' draft, teams are preparing the ground with agents and possible UDFAs, well before the end of the draft. Numbers will also get mentioned, although whether or not that constitutes a 'deal', is a moot point.

Beane talked some about the UDFA 'process' the other day, either on PFT or in his conference call, and alluded to the fact that they might have a couple of offers out there for different guys at the same position, and if one takes the offer, they end up having to pull the other offer, due to only having so much money to spend on UDFAs. (He didn't say this was happening when the draft was still occurring though;) )

About the only thing fundamentally 'wrong', would be the timing of how things went down, and the fact it got talked about.

Seems like a dumb rule. What's the point?

But if it's a rule and you break it, you deserve to be punished. You deserve to be double punished for it for being stupid enough not to just get caught, but to get caught by bragging about it publicly.

And I don't accept the idea that if these two teams broke the rule, all the teams must be doing the same thing. That's a fallacy. It's the same fallacy used by Patriots fans when the Pats got caught cheating. "Everyone cheats and everyone does the same thing as the pats." It's a way of justifying and deescalating bad behavior. People who regularly steal things believe that everyone else is stealing things too. It's how they live with themselves.

9 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I immediately thought that when this stuff became known.

The one significant difference being, that it will tie up a roster spot.

At this current time, I think anything much in the way of a penalty, will amount to little more than a slap on the wrist.

As the Saints drafted the kid, I don't think they are in the frame anyway, it would just be the Panthers, unless the NFL cry shenanigens about how the Saints came by the info.

The reality is that even in a 'normal' draft, teams are preparing the ground with agents and possible UDFAs, well before the end of the draft. Numbers will also get mentioned, although whether or not that constitutes a 'deal', is a moot point.

Beane talked some about the UDFA 'process' the other day, either on PFT or in his conference call, and alluded to the fact that they might have a couple of offers out there for different guys at the same position, and if one takes the offer, they end up having to pull the other offer, due to only having so much money to spend on UDFAs. (He didn't say this was happening when the draft was still occurring though;) )

About the only thing fundamentally 'wrong', would be the timing of how things went down, and the fact it got talked about.

What strikes me about this is the kid isn't making the roster anyway. It will be Drew, Jameis and Taysom Hill. So in September if the Panthers like him that much they can just take him off waivers. 

Nope - Sean admitted they and the Panthers were in a bidding war for the player.  Both were offering money compensation- which is against the rules.  The difference is it sounded like the agent and the player preferred Carolina - so the Saints made a trade back into the 7th round to get him and keep him away from the Panthers.

The Rule as clearly stated is teams can talk to players/agents before the draft is complete, but they are not allowed to discuss any compensation until the draft is complete.  This has been the case for years - and I am sure it happens all of the time where teams break or at least sidestep the rule - the difference is one coach this time decided to brag about screwing over a division rival and in doing so entrapped both teams.

@GunnerBill you summed it up perfectly - I just do not get the Saints obsession on this.  I can not see them keeping 3 QBs and Hill as a gadget guy on the roster.  If they waive him for the practice squad - Carolina can pick him up for nothing and probably at a lower cost as many 7th round picks get paid less than the more coveted UDFAs.

This was just stupid and petty on the Saints part and I hope the fine and perhaps loss of a pick was worth it for a guy they did not need.  The Ego is just unreal with Sean.

The player had nothing to do with it. It was a pissing contest / power trip. They could cut him tomorrow and still be proud of themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Seems like a dumb rule. What's the point?

But if it's a rule and you break it, you deserve to be punished. You deserve to be double punished for it for being stupid enough not to just get caught, but to get caught by bragging about it publicly.

And I don't accept the idea that if these two teams broke the rule, all the teams must be doing the same thing. That's a fallacy. It's the same fallacy used by Patriots fans when the Pats got caught cheating. "Everyone cheats and everyone does the same thing as the pats." It's a way of justifying and deescalating bad behavior. People who regularly steal things believe that everyone else is stealing things too. It's how they live with themselves.

I get the point - as top UDFAs might get more money than a 7th round pick because of the bidding - you do not want these players pissed they were drafted.  It is also supposed to keep the competitive advantage limited as teams that are still drafting would have to focus on picks giving advantages to teams that are done.

I am sure it happens all of the time - even if it is stupid things like you would be a top priority- there by insinuating you would get top money, but to be open about bidding and the Panthers coming to an agreement is just wrong.  I totally agree some teams just assume everyone cheats and justifies their actions and that is the wrong way to do this.  Both teams should get hammered for this - just as they should of hammered the Pats.

A non-issue. The Panthers shouldn’t have agreed on a free agent contract with the guy before the draft was over, which allowed the Saints to get wind of what was going on and swoop in and take him.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nope - Sean admitted they and the Panthers were in a bidding war for the player.  Both were offering money compensation- which is against the rules.  The difference is it sounded like the agent and the player preferred Carolina - so the Saints made a trade back into the 7th round to get him and keep him away from the Panthers.

The Rule as clearly stated is teams can talk to players/agents before the draft is complete, but they are not allowed to discuss any compensation until the draft is complete.  This has been the case for years - and I am sure it happens all of the time where teams break or at least sidestep the rule - the difference is one coach this time decided to brag about screwing over a division rival and in doing so entrapped both teams.

@GunnerBill you summed it up perfectly - I just do not get the Saints obsession on this.  I can not see them keeping 3 QBs and Hill as a gadget guy on the roster.  If they waive him for the practice squad - Carolina can pick him up for nothing and probably at a lower cost as many 7th round picks get paid less than the more coveted UDFAs.

This was just stupid and petty on the Saints part and I hope the fine and perhaps loss of a pick was worth it for a guy they did not need.  The Ego is just unreal with Sean.

Ok, this makes a little more sense as to why the Saints were also punished. I was wondering why they were getting fined for drafting a player the Panthers wanted and were negotiating with. Makes sense that they were both making offers and it sounded like the Saints wanted him and since they were losing the bidding war they decided to get a pick to take him in the 7th instead.

It doesn't make sense however why they wanted him so badly to have 4 QBs on the roster. I think they say he is a similar QB to Hill, but it wasn't long after the draft they also took Winston. Either there's a chance that Brees may not make it past Training Camp and retires, they plan on using/keeping Hill on the roster less as a QB and more as a gadget player WR/RB, or they are cocky/Dumb enough to think they can sneak him onto their PS. Or they think that Brees and their staff can turn around Winston during training camp and make him a good trade chip before the season starts......

46 minutes ago, Doc said:

A non-issue. The Panthers shouldn’t have agreed on a free agent contract with the guy before the draft was over, which allowed the Saints to get wind of what was going on and swoop in and take him.

Except it is not a non-issue.  Sean stated that both the Saints and the Panthers were discussing compensation with the agent and a bidding war erupted.  They maxed out compensation and the player and agent both felt Carolina was a better fit.  The Saints were well within their rights to then trade and draft him, but both teams were illegally offering compensation.

Both teams should be punished for breaking the rules.  The stupidest part is the Saints already had multiple QBs on the roster and were working out Winston- so why go that far and risk your reputation on an UDFA?  Especially one that now has almost no chance to make your roster.