RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

But I read here more than once that he was the rookie who would have gotten the Packers that SB win.....

And you swore that the Packers wouldn't even sniff the NFCCG again, so...

17 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Was having young Shaq Lawson flashbacks watching him rip too far upfield and whip past Mahomes unblocked, missing the sack.

I noticed this too. I would have to go back and see if he was actually overpursing or getting bumped off by the OT.

I was thinking it might be the reason that they had him line up at RDE and Hughes at LDE so often. Somebody had to keep contain on Mahomes front side because he is a good enough runner. But I didn't get why they didn't just dress Murphy in that case. Granted it is waaaaay more important with Lamar, but it worked well, and Hughes had a great day doing it that way. 

Either way I did notice Epenesa seemed to be in the backfield quite a bit, just never making a play or getting his hands on the QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

And you swore that the Packers wouldn't even sniff the NFCCG again, so...

Yeah I was wrong about that one.  Honestly, I was not expecting Aaron Rodgers to have such a year.  But he certainly put to rest the notion that he needed  some rookie weapon (who was it now? Tee Higgins?)to get back to the NFCC game/SB.

Bad 4th Q decisions by him and his coach (not the Packers FO last April) doomed his SB bid.

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah I was wrong about that one.  Honestly, I was not expecting Aaron Rodgers to have such a year.  But he certainly put to rest the notion that he needed  some rookie weapon (who was it now? Tee Higgins?)to get back to the NFCC game/SB.

Bad 4th Q decisions by him and his coach (not the Packers FO last April) doomed his SB bid.

Maybe if Tee Higgins was hired as HC, he doesn’t kick the game losing FG.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Rodgers was the one clamoring for more receiving help.  I was saying he needed more defensive help after what the 49'ers did to them, figuring they'd still be as good as last year.

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Maybe if Tee Higgins was hired as HC, he doesn’t kick the game losing FG.

Maybe Tee would have jogged untouched into the EZ on 3rd and 8 for the tying score....

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Rodgers was the one clamoring for more receiving help.  I was saying he needed more defensive help after what the 49'ers did to them, figuring they'd still be as good as last year.

The receiving helpp was right there on the roster, as was made very obvious this season.  Adams and Tonyan alone accounted for 29TDs--that's 3 more than Rodgers threw last year!  M V-S accounted for another 6.  48 passing TDs.  16 rushing TDs.  Last year the Packers scored 376 points.  This year, 509--a massive 35% increase.....somehow without a rookie weapon!

There was no more room for "weapons" on that Offense as it was tearing up the league.

As for the Defense, it went from 18th to 9th.  Last year they got beat up in the NFCC game.  This year their D forced 3 picks from Brady in that game.....but in the end, they pissed their chance away with bad decisions that had nothing to do with what transpired on April 25th.

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I didn’t (and don’t) even think AJ was the BPA there.

i hope i get proven wrong, and he just burst out soon.  he was a 5 star DE (how many of those every year?) and had huge college production, he just measured horribly on the athletic metrics, but sadly i think you are right and he just wasn't a good enough guy.

i honestly think if you stick a premier pass rusher on our DL, fix our 2nd cb situation (not a star, just a good guy) add in a top 12 TE (which IMO can be signed for less than what we pay murhpy and kroft combined) and a solid back (and the nfl just seems to be awash in these guys) we walk out of KC w a W.

chris simms broke down the game, and said "there is no difference maker in the front 7, diggs is special, and beez is good in his small role".  given our WRs were hurt, and our best rb (who is like JAG level+ at this point) was out, that's a shocking star "star" differential.

the more i think about it, since we have this like mesh D where every part has to be in place, and we won like 5 match ups all night (where guys flew buy mahomes cuz they were not confident and were pressing) i don't think our D is anything but a liability unless we can get 1 or 2 actual pain bringers in the front 7.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, colin said:

i hope i get proven wrong, and he just burst out soon.  he was a 5 star DE (how many of those every year?) and had huge college production, he just measured horribly on the athletic metrics, but sadly i think you are right and he just wasn't a good enough guy.

i honestly think if you stick a premier pass rusher on our DL, fix our 2nd cb situation (not a star, just a good guy) add in a top 12 TE (which IMO can be signed for less than what we pay murhpy and kroft combined) and a solid back (and the nfl just seems to be awash in these guys) we walk out of KC w a W.

chris simms broke down the game, and said "there is no difference maker in the front 7, diggs is special, and beez is good in his small role".  given our WRs were hurt, and our best rb (who is like JAG level+ at this point) was out, that's a shocking star "star" differential.

the more i think about it, since we have this like mesh D where every part has to be in place, and we won like 5 match ups all night (where guys flew buy mahomes cuz they were not confident and were pressing) i don't think our D is anything but a liability unless we can get 1 or 2 actual pain bringers in the front 7.

AJ has zero elite traits that translate at the next level. He has no burst off the line, no great pass rush moves.

His ceiling is Shaq Lawson. We don't need more of those guys, we need stars.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

AJ has zero elite traits that translate at the next level. He has no burst off the line, no great pass rush moves.

Could be, but regardless of whether Epenesa pans out or not we need a star DE. For now he is making next to nothing. Revisit this in 3 years.

24 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Could be, but regardless of whether Epenesa pans out or not we need a star DE. For now he is making next to nothing. Revisit this in 3 years.

It’s not about cap space. It’s about wasting assets. A second and two thirds on DE/RB and they are still our biggest needs. 

Gabe Davis was a 4th rounder and already had a brighter future than the rest of those dudes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I'd say you did alright if you got a guy with the 54th pick who is as good as a guy that was picked at 19.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The receiving helpp was right there on the roster, as was made very obvious this season.  Adams and Tonyan alone accounted for 29TDs--that's 3 more than Rodgers threw last year!  M V-S accounted for another 6.  48 passing TDs.  16 rushing TDs.  Last year the Packers scored 376 points.  This year, 509--a massive 35% increase.....somehow without a rookie weapon!

There was no more room for "weapons" on that Offense as it was tearing up the league.

As for the Defense, it went from 18th to 9th.  Last year they got beat up in the NFCC game.  This year their D forced 3 picks from Brady in that game.....but in the end, they pissed their chance away with bad decisions that had nothing to do with what transpired on April 25th.

That's all well and good for the regular season and the first playoff game.  But a 1st round pick at WR or on defense might have helped them score more points or limit points against the Bucs.  We don't know.  What he do know for sure, and there's no debate about it, is that Jordan Love did nothing to help the team this year.  And as a result, Rodgers wants out.

28 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It’s not about cap space. It’s about wasting assets. A second and two thirds on DE/RB and they are still our biggest needs. 

Gabe Davis was a 4th rounder and already had a brighter future than the rest of those dudes.

Well.. DE isn’t usually a position in which a player dominates in right away. As far as my opinion on Epenesa goes, I think he’s stronger and more athletic than people think. Too early to say he’s a wasted asset when players like Ford, Oliver and Edmunds get pass after pass. 

13 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Well.. DE isn’t usually a position in which a player dominates in right away. As far as my opinion on Epenesa goes, I think he’s stronger and more athletic than people think. Too early to say he’s a wasted asset when players like Ford, Oliver and Edmunds get pass after pass. 

Way too early.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, TPS said:

I'd say you did alright if you got a guy with the 54th pick who is as good as a guy that was picked at 19.

Shaq Lawson was a mismanagement of assets at 19. That wasn’t a good pick.

Besides, his CEILING is Shaq Lawson. His floor is, well, what we saw this year. A whole lot of nothing.

This is saying Jimmy Clausen was a good pick because he was better than Jamarcus Russell.

Edited by FireChans

2 hours ago, colin said:

I like this thinking. Not sure it's enough to beat KC but would definitely make us a lot lot better. Also, with Star back it improves our run D a lot. I know a lot of people don't care for him because he's not a stats guy but there's no doubt we were more solid with him in there. And Oliver should show up more as well.

A premier pass rusher could have the same effect on this D as DIggs had on the offense - make everyone else look so much better because teams are having to key on stopping him that it gives guys like Oliver the opportunity to make more plays.