Jay Fiedler predicts JA break out in shortened season

The interesting observation from the article below is "However, with continued uncertainty about the future and when life will return to normal, there remains a possibility that training camps could be altered, shortened or even scrapped ahead of the 2020 NFL campaign.

That would limit the amount of time teams have to work with their own players, and on gameplans for their opponents, which Fiedler feels would benefit quarterbacks who tend to go off script like Allen."

https://www.puntsports.com.au/2020/04/22/playmaker-josh-allen-backed-to-breakout-if-nfl-offseason-is-disrupted/

I have heard people discuss the advantage of having a stable coaching staff, but not the fact that people will have less time to be prepared for playmakers. This would also bide well for Lamar Jackson.

52 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I don’t know.  I think Josh still needs to practice and develop.  I’m not sure an abbreviated preseason is an advantage for him. 

Yeah, Josh has a brand new lead WR he needs to build timing with, and more importantly that same new WR has a very complicated offense to learn as well.  

Im not seeing this as and advantage for Allen.  Not really a disadvantage as a lot of teams have plenty of things their QB's and offenses need to work on.  But to say it gives Allen an edge doesn't make a lot of sense to me when he is just entering his 3rd year and has a new shiny toy to get used to.

• Like (+1) 2

I think Fiedler is right that Josh will gain a small advantage in such a season. I just think he chose the wrong reason as to why. Josh has the stability / continuity of the same offensive scheme, coaching staff and probably only one new offensive starter this coming season. The off the cuff stuff not so much.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, Josh has a brand new lead WR he needs to build timing with, and more importantly that same new WR has a very complicated offense to learn as well.  

Im not seeing this as and advantage for Allen.  Not really a disadvantage as a lot of teams have plenty of things their QB's and offenses need to work on.  But to say it gives Allen an edge doesn't make a lot of sense to me when he is just entering his 3rd year and has a new shiny toy to get used to.

IMO a normal offseason benefits Allen more than a shortened/non-existent one. I completely agree he needs to build timing (especially with Diggs) and continue to work on his game.  With that said, I suppose no offseason may help the QBs who can freelance and have the skill to do it well. 

Not my ideal situation for Josh, but perhaps a comparative advantage over some other QBs. Now if this happened a few years down the line in Allen's growth, I'd say "Hell ya! Bring it on."

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

For all the head scratching Josh endured trying to find a Div 1 school to play for, which made him the rawest QB prospect in ‘18, what finally got him a gig is what he can do when a play breaks down.

21 minutes ago, The Dean said:

IMO a normal offseason benefits Allen more than a shortened/non-existent one. I completely agree he needs to build timing (especially with Diggs) and continue to work on his game.  With that said, I suppose no offseason may help the QBs who can freelance and have the skill to do it well. 

Not my ideal situation for Josh, but perhaps a comparative advantage over some other QBs. Now if this happened a few years down the line in Allen's growth, I'd say "Hell ya! Bring it on."

He’s incredibly nimble evading pass rushers and quick enough to then burst to an open area to look downfield. Then, he threw to whoever was open and his field vision is an underrated asset. Brown, Beasley & Diggs are known best for their ability to separate from coverage. I’m with the OP on this. I believe he’d excel in this scenario.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Raleigh • √eff said:

What in the hell is Cody Ford doing on the Allen TD run vs Dallas in that clip? It's like he was gonna do a cut block against a ghost then decided to try and block the DE, who just ran right past him. Super odd. 

We will never have a great O line with him on the outside imo...dude's got cement in his shoes...