I think I now know what Beane has been up to and what to expect in the draft.

I know a lot of you guys follow Astro, Dean Kindig (aka the dRAfT DoCtoR), his breakdowns and analysis on draftees is impressive.    No offense to the OP, I like your take here, but Astro is so far ahead of everyone else in terms of breaking down players and strategies that if you aren't following the guy you're missing out.   

https://twitter.com/tcbills_astro

This is a good place to start.  It's current and comprehensive and so far ahead of what the national draft guru's know about our team/GM it's laughable

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

I know a lot of you guys follow Astro, Dean Kindig (aka the dRAfT DoCtoR), his breakdowns and analysis on draftees is impressive.    No offense to the OP, I like your take here, but Astro is so far ahead of everyone else in terms of breaking down players and strategies that if you aren't following the guy you're missing out.   

https://twitter.com/tcbills_astro

This is a good place to start.  It's current and comprehensive and so far ahead of what the national draft guru's know about our team/GM it's laughable

Thanks for the link. Wow, he sure breaks things down! I checked out his take on RBs from January and it looks like he likes Perine. I posted about him last week, I put up a 4 minute highlight reel of him. I would love to see the Bills add him anywheres from the 3rd rd and back, I think that him and Singletary would make one heck of a tandem. Thanks for posting.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

I feel like a lot of the O-line guys they are interviewing are available later in the draft - Robert Hunt, Cameron Clark, John Simpson, Prince Tega Wanogho. I could be wrong but I don’t think I’ve seen any of them mocked in round 2.

Also, don’t expect any Tight Ends picked, it’s an awful draft for them and we doubled down last year on Knox/Sweeney. Bills have barely had any interviews for TE.  

My feeling is we go CB/S with our first pick, someone good could fall into our laps at 54, Kyle Dugger anyone? I’d rather RB myself but just don’t think that happens in RD 2.

Of those Simpson and Prince are possible round 2 guys but neither are locks. Hunt and Clark are more day 3 players. 

13 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I just read a great article that made me realize some of Beane’s pattern. I believe that OL will be our 1st pick in the draft, maybe even move up a bit in the 2nd rd to secure a solid OL and here is the reasoning behind that.

We all know that our OL has great depth but some of the OL starters could stand an upgrade, OT in particular. With the new signing of OL Evan Boehm it gives me the impression he’s insurance for Morse. They played at the same college and Morse was the “dad” of the OL, meaning Boehm is cut from the same cloth. 

As far as our Gs go I believe we are all set there as well. Spain signing a new 3 year deal indicates that we are set at the LG position. Well Feliciano has anchored the RG position I believe that the Bills have Cody Ford being groomed as his potential replacement if the quality of his (Feliciano) play duffers and/of if they can’t come to terms on a new contract. 

That leaves the OT position as the upgrade. I don’t know if Dawkins gets traded, realigned to RT or if the Bills just go and get a RT right out of the gate but this is where I believe is where the direction Beane is headed.

Beane has a propensity of signing and stacking OL and then trading whatever surplus he has at the end of camp. That 5th and 6th rders that he gave up, which came from trading surplus FA OL that he stacked, is going to be recouped some by following the same blueprint. So in hindsight Diggs isn’t going to cost as much as it looked initially.

I think that we can all agree that Josh is safe and while we could stand to add another quality RB the only other real positions on offense are the OL, TE and WR positions. Our Starting WRs are in their prime and once again the Bills have good depth there as well. While TE is important it’s not a priority. It’s the OL, they got to do better in protecting their investment with Josh, not just the physical part but also the production part. 

RB and defense definitely need to be address but it doesn’t have to be with the first pick, it’s time to upgrade the OL with a good young starter for years to come. Here’s the article that I read.

5 thoughts and a grade on Buffalo Bills signing OL Evan Boehm

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/04/5-thoughts-and-a-grade-on-buffalo-bills-signing-ol-evan-boehm.html?outputType=amp

was there any question?

17 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

That tight end from Mizzou is gonna be a star.  

My fear is that he goes to NE and takes over for Gronk, pounding us for the next decade. 

Edited by turftoe
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Would you guys take this draft? Saw it on cbs.com

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-seven-rounds-18-trades-255-picks-and-full-breakdowns-for-all-32-teams/

Buffalo Bills

ROUND OVERALL PLAYER NOTES
2 38 DE A.J. Epenesa, Iowa from CAR*
2 54 Traded to Carolina  
3 86 Traded to Carolina  
4 128 RB A.J. Dillon, Boston College  
5 167 S Kenny Robinson, West Virginia  
6 188 Traded to Denver from CLE
6 207 Traded to Carolina from BAL/NE
7 237 CB Nevelle Clarke, UCF from NE/DEN*
7 239 G Justin Herron, Wake Forest from MIN
7 252 TE Dalton Keene, Virginia Tech from DEN*
7 254 WR Trishton Jackson, Syracuse from DEN*
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, turftoe said:

My fear is that he goes to NE and takes over for Gronk, pounding us for the next decade. 

With no Tom Brady in NE i'm not all that concerned who they draft.

Bills fans and even Ole Bill himself seem to forget that when the Patriots won with Matt Cassel it was against Skeletor along with his Tampa 2 defense. This is an entirely different franchise that is so much better from the top down.

Anyway, in regards to the draft. I still think the Bills will go pass rusher and will trade up into the first round to grab one. 

19 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

With no Tom Brady in NE i'm not all that concerned who they draft.

Bills fans and even Ole Bill himself seem to forget that when the Patriots won with Matt Cassel it was against Skeletor along with his Tampa 2 defense. This is an entirely different franchise that is so much better from the top down.

Anyway, in regards to the draft. I still think the Bills will go pass rusher and will trade up into the first round to grab one. 

So you think they're going to trade next years first? I don't see how else you get into the first. I would hate it, btw. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

So you think they're going to trade next years first? I don't see how else you get into the first. I would hate it, btw. 

Might not need to be their first round pick 2021 as it could be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. My thoughts are that this roster is so stacked anything drafted past round three will probably not be a starter or perhaps not even a backup. So why not package a bunch of those late rounders to try and move up to say #24 where edge rusher AJ Epenesa is slotted to be taken. 

Beane has been a magic man the last few seasons in Buffalo, so moving up would not surprise me if there is a player there they think could be a difference maker. This years defense is only one elite pass rusher away from being really great. I can see a trade up if the Bills FO thinks that too.

14 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Might not need to be their first round pick 2021 as it could be a 2nd or 3rd rounder. My thoughts are that this roster is so stacked anything drafted past round three will probably not be a starter or perhaps not even a backup. So why not package a bunch of those late rounders to try and move up to say #24 where edge rusher AJ Epenesa is slotted to be taken. 

Beane has been a magic man the last few seasons in Buffalo, so moving up would not surprise me if there is a player there they think could be a difference maker. This years defense is only one elite pass rusher away from being really great. I can see a trade up if the Bills FO thinks that too.

I just don't see how packaging even all the late round picks moves you far enough to get into the first and obviously, you need at keep at least 4 or 5 picks even if you believe the roster has relatively few openings. I doubt a 2021 2nd or 3rd rounder provides sufficient value to push yourself into the first. The conventional wisdom that I always hear is you downgrade a round, so a 2021 2nd = 2020 3rd, etc. I can see Beane using later round 2020 picks to try and move up within a round. I would be in favor of moving up towards the top of the 2nd, though that may cost you your 3rd and that is an expensive buy. I see the need for youth at edge, btw, though myself I would still go offense. I like big WR like Claypool or a really dynamic RB to pair with Singletary. My guess, however, is that they probably go DE, CB, or S either at 54 or with a trade up into the top half of round 2. (I really think it is going to kill Beane to have to sit out the first round and he will be itching to get in the game earlier in the second.)

I don't believe Brandon Beane is targeting any specific position at this point.

Everything is going to depend on how the rest of the draft falls, which is something even he can't know for sure.

He's filled the roster to the point that nothing is a pressing need.  Even the positions that Bills fans are hotly debating about (RB, OL, DE, CB) have solid starters already in place.  Nobody we draft will immediately step into a starting role, and it's very possible they will be waiting until least 2021 before a starting opportunity even arises.  In my opinion, we could literally go anywhere with the pick, outside of QB or Kicker.

Sitting at #54, Beane admitted that he probably isn't going to trade back into the 1st Round.  Which makes sense, because it would certainly require next year's 1st Rounder to move up over 25-30 spots.  It's a very pricey move, and there just isn't anything we need bad enough to do that.  However, we do know that Beane's draft board puts players into tiers and he likes moving around to get players he wants.  If he sees a drop-off in quality coming and needs to jump 5-6 spots, I could still see us trading up a couple slots.

On 4/15/2020 at 6:09 PM, billsfan_34 said:

If there is a RB there in the 2nd that they like....dont be surprised 

Or a CB or a DE or a ? 

Its only a week away and the suspense or mystery will be over ;)

On 4/15/2020 at 6:20 PM, K-9 said:

We continue to ignore long snapper at our own peril. 

I was thinking punter ;) 

If they wait they may miss the best one or someone could trade up in front of the Bills pick just to spite us ;) 

6 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I just don't see how packaging even all the late round picks moves you far enough to get into the first and obviously, you need at keep at least 4 or 5 picks even if you believe the roster has relatively few openings. I doubt a 2021 2nd or 3rd rounder provides sufficient value to push yourself into the first. The conventional wisdom that I always hear is you downgrade a round, so a 2021 2nd = 2020 3rd, etc. I can see Beane using later round 2020 picks to try and move up within a round. I would be in favor of moving up towards the top of the 2nd, though that may cost you your 3rd and that is an expensive buy. I see the need for youth at edge, btw, though myself I would still go offense. I like big WR like Claypool or a really dynamic RB to pair with Singletary. My guess, however, is that they probably go DE, CB, or S either at 54 or with a trade up into the top half of round 2.

(I really think it is going to kill Beane to have to sit out the first round and he will be itching to get in the game earlier in the second.)

Me too. All I'm saying is that this years team is probably one starter away from taking the division and contending for the AFC Championship... and that starter is a dominant pass rusher. 

Opponents will have a tough enough time going up against that Buffalo secondary as is, and adding that pass rusher puts so much more pressure on the QB to get the ball out quicker. This years Bills defense could possibly take over that coveted #1 defense spot from the Patriots.

I wonder if the Bills are giving any thought to unsigned Clowney at this point?