Why not a Free Agent RB2?

I know, I know. RB is a devalued position. But if we are looking in round 3-5 for another RB, we will mostly be looking for a serviceable back. Sometimes you find a star, but that’s not the norm. So why not try to acquire someone else in the RB room and not pigeonhole us into a need pick?

Freeman, Miller, Thompson, Hyde, Crowell have all had varying levels of success at the NFL level and somewhat recently. Many of them have been far better than TJ Yeldon, who couldn’t even supplant Frank Gore’s corpse last year. Not to mention some potential trade targets like Gio Bernard.

Do we really need to draft an RB2?

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 3

Who says we aren't? Maybe we are just holding off signing one until after the draft when we can get them to take a physical. Waiting to make other teams think that's where we are going to go early.Only to go another way. We zip while they think we are zagging. 

• Like (+1) 2

TJ Yeldin is something of a mystery.  He's got a decent skill set.  He's good sized and can catch the ball.  He's had years when he's had solid production, and he isn't that old.  Yet through most of last season he couldn't buy his way on to the field.  He had a few fumbles, I guess.  I don't remember.  But if McDermott is going to punish him for the fumbles, why is he still around?  Brandon Beane is saying nice things about him to boot.  It makes you wonder why he's still here.  The way he's regarded inside the coaches office will have a lot to do with the Bills' draft plans at running back, but apart from Beane's comments we really don't know.  I'm thinking the Bills will draft a RB on day 2, but a value free agent is certainly possible.  If the Bills really are done with Yeldin, they could do both.   There are some home run hitters in the draft, and some value battering rams in free agency.  

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Who says we aren't? Maybe we are just holding off signing one until after the draft when we can get them to take a physical. Waiting to make other teams think that's where we are going to go early.Only to go another way. We zip while they think we are zagging. 

Because I guess there’s no guarantee we get the guy we want until we get him, you know?

• Like (+1) 1

Some nice RB talent in the draft and the Bills have a current roster need(s) at the position.  It's one of the few positions where a draftee is sure to make the 55 man roster.  Yes, they could go FA after the draft but when they can do physicals is anyone's guess.  Having a rookie on a 4 year deal at a nice price to pair with Singletary is a nice scenario that could have a big impact on the 2020 team.  I'd like the player to be the equal of or better than Devin because it would make the offense better.

• Like (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

TJ Yeldin is something of a mystery.  He's got a decent skill set.  He's good sized and can catch the ball.  He's had years when he's had solid production, and he isn't that old.  Yet through most of last season he couldn't buy his way on to the field.  He had a few fumbles, I guess.  I don't remember.  But if McDermott is going to punish him for the fumbles, why is he still around?  Brandon Beane is saying nice things about him to boot.  It makes you wonder why he's still here.  The way he's regarded inside the coaches office will have a lot to do with the Bills' draft plans at running back, but apart from Beane's comments we really don't know.  I'm thinking the Bills will draft a RB on day 2, but a value free agent is certainly possible.  If the Bills really are done with Yeldin, they could do both.   There are some home run hitters in the draft, and some value battering rams in free agency.  

I think it's the fumbles that held him back. I was always worried the few times he had the ball. He has talent, I think he was trying too hard and those couple of fumbles were held against him. 

36 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I think they still might but none of those guys will get signed before the draft.  I'd love some cheap Lamar Miller action.

Lamar is coming off of a torn ACL. There’s a reason Houston let him go and decided they would rather have David Johnson over him lol

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I know, I know. RB is a devalued position. But if we are looking in round 3-5 for another RB, we will mostly be looking for a serviceable back. Sometimes you find a star, but that’s not the norm. So why not try to acquire someone else in the RB room and not pigeonhole us into a need pick?

Freeman, Miller, Thompson, Hyde, Crowell have all had varying levels of success at the NFL level and somewhat recently. Many of them have been far better than TJ Yeldon, who couldn’t even supplant Frank Gore’s corpse last year. Not to mention some potential trade targets like Gio Bernard.

Many of us are under the assumption whey want to draft a RB1/A or B to work with Singletary.

Having a one two punch backfield on the cheap for the next 3-4 years would be a good thing in my book.

• Like (+1) 2

I would like to review the past a bit. When we had Thurman Thomas we signed Kenneth Davis as a free agent and it worked great because when Thurman was banged up Kenneth was there and not much production was lost from that position because they were somewhat similar in skillset. Who can carry the load with not much drop off if Singletary gets hurt? Free agent I believe more in Carlos Hyde. Miller and Freeman can't seem to stay healthy. In the draft it is either JK Dobbins or Cam Akers in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

My question is any of these guys better then TJ Yeldon

I think we are gonna draft somebody

My answer is yes.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Many of us are under the assumption whey want to draft a RB1/A or B to work with Singletary.

Having a one two punch backfield on the cheap for the next 3-4 years would be a good thing in my book.

Yeah I’m not sure you’re necessarily going to find that unless we grab one of the top guys.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

My answer is yes.

Yeah I’m not sure you’re necessarily going to find that unless we grab one of the top guys.

Which is why the draft is so intriguing as to what Beane does in the 2nd and 3rd.

If they don't get a guy they want they will have to go look at the FA RB again.

Can't go into the season with just Devin.  If he get's injured they will be screwed.

• Like (+1) 2

If Beane is sitting there at #54 in the 2nd round and one of the top three RBs has fallen to him, that needs to be the pick.  Lock up a stud RB on a cheap rookie contract for the next four years.  Better than drafting the 5th best EDGE or 4th best DB.  There will be great WR talent in the 3rd.

A free agent RB would be more expensive and on a short contract.  You're just kicking the hole in the roster can down the road a bit.  There is almost no learning curve for collegiate running backs moving to the pros.  I say draft a stud RB at #54.  Get an elite talent to pair with Singletary.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think we do, the Bills need more playmaking, more speed on the field.

Yeldon didn’t play last year because Beane said the Bills wanted the downhill thumping of Gore on the field.

Freeman has battled concussions, so I automatically rule him out, with Lamar Miller people were always waiting for a breakout that never happened, Hyde and Crowell have put up the best numbers recently.

But why pay them, when a 3rd Rounder like Singletary comes in, immediately takes LeSean McCoy‘s job and is the starter going forward? 

Draft another guy who is fresh, 22 years old, and ready to make plays instead of slow plodders who have peaked. Their best football is in front of them, so no need to hope for a fountain of youth.

The Bills model of guys like Tolbert, Ivory, Gore, holds back better playmakers. 

I’d avoid 28-30 year old running backs like the plague.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 2

I like Yeldon, and I think the staff does too.  They have been quite complimentary to him and what he did when given chances last year.  I think he could be a good compliment to Yeldon in the same way any of those other FA's you listed would be as I expect Devin to still get the lion shares of the carries.  Im not sure any of those guys listed have much more to offer than Yeldon does who already knows our offense.  

So I think pepper in some fresh legs in the draft (some good ones will be there in rounds 2-5 this year IMO) and let Devin take the lead role fully with Yeldon backing him up until the rookie proves he can take over the backup duties full time (pass pro will be the key factor on that).  

That being said, I wouldn't hate a signing of any of those guys above either.  Just like the idea of getting some fresh legs next to Devin as well to form a formidable one-two punch for years to come.  And I think this is a good draft to do it as we dont have a lot of holes and the RB depth is nice this year in the mid rounds.