Why not a Free Agent RB2?

1 hour ago, dubs said:

Do the Bills need another RB on the team, I'd say no, they don't need it.  It would be nice to have another RB that's an upgrade over Jones and Yeldon, but definitely not a necessity.

If I were the Bills FO, I'd price out a few of the RBs still on the market and see who might be available in Rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 and decide where the best bang for the buck is.  Two things I would absolutely not do is draft an RB in Round 2 or 3 or sign a big deal with a FA.

I got to disagree with you on this.  If Devin was lost for any significant time would you be happy with Yeldon as the only RB.

Taiwan Jones is 31 years old and been in the league since 2011.  He has a whopping Career Rushing Yards Total of 223 yards!

He is not a RB, he is a ST'er.

When you take out Jones's contract (being he is a ST'er and not a RB) the Bills are dead last in $'s spent at the position at less than 3.5 million.

The Bills are spending half again more than that on a backup OLman.  As a comparison, right now the league average is 9.1 million.

This will go down once the "scrubs" are let go on cut down day but so will the Bills current total too.

"Best bang for the buck" does not even need to be considered.

I'm almost certain Beane WILL draft a RB no later than the 4th and/or acquire a decent one after the draft in FA.

IMO and I know I'm not alone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

1.  Devin has earned the starting job.  Thats not even debatable.

2.  They are not looking for a replacement at all for Devin, they are looking for a compliment to him.

3.  Yeldon was behind a highly effective rookie and a future HOF RB who was also there to mentor Devin and be a steward in the locker room.

4.  I never said not to bring in a RB, I said in every thread I am in to draft a RB.  

5.  I have said we don't need another retread RB, roll with Devin and Yeldon as his backup until said rookie is ready to take the backup job away from Yeldon.

How has he "earned the starting job"??   Is he the league leader in rushing?.......  Conference leader in rushing?....  Division leader in rushing?....  Top 8 in rushing yardage?....  Top 16 in rushing yardage?....  Top 24 in rushing yardage?  Well he is about there.  I guess you are satisfied with finishing about 3/4 down the standings.  .... Not to be mean, but do you understand what I am saying?  ... (now I expect a whole bunch of excuses)

2 hours ago, dubs said:

I agree with the premise.

Do the Bills need another RB on the team, I'd say no, they don't need it.  It would be nice to have another RB that's an upgrade over Jones and Yeldon, but definitely not a necessity.

If I were the Bills FO, I'd price out a few of the RBs still on the market and see who might be available in Rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 and decide where the best bang for the buck is.  Two things I would absolutely not do is draft an RB in Round 2 or 3 or sign a big deal with a FA.

WTF !!!

I guess there is a guy who will play for the league minium and get 500 yards rushing if you play him most downs.  He will be a REAL BARGAIN in the parameter {yards gained per dollar spent} or {yards gained per draft-board-point}.    You have your eye on the wrong ball. ... ... I hope the Bills are TRYING TO GET TO THE SUPER BOWL AND WIN IT, rather than just keeping an almost competitive team on the field and making a modest profit.

Please don't get swept away by all the very very very very very smart experts.  What matters at the end of each game day is WHO SCORED MORE FIGGING POINTS, and not how clever they were in putting a team on the field or scoring fantasy points. A much better running back who can break some big plays ("a touchdown maker) and win some games,,,, as well has catching the figging ball and do some damage- which will help our WR as well,, is what the Bills are in the need of. 

But maybe we need a 3rd string rookie offensive tackle, who has a 1 in 4 chance of being a backup in two years and a 1 in 16 chance of being a starter.

Sorry to rant.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I got to disagree with you on this.  If Devin was lost for any significant time would you be happy with Yeldon as the only RB.

Taiwan Jones is 31 years old and been in the league since 2011.  He has a whopping Career Rushing Yards Total of 223 yards!

He is not a RB, he is a ST'er.

When you take out Jones's contract (being he is a ST'er and not a RB) the Bills are dead last in $'s spent at the position at less than 3.5 million.

The Bills are spending half again more than that on a backup OLman.  As a comparison, right now the league average is 9.1 million.

This will go down once the "scrubs" are let go on cut down day but so will the Bills current total too.

"Best bang for the buck" does not even need to be considered.

I'm almost certain Beane WILL draft a RB no later than the 4th and/or acquire a decent one after the draft in FA.

IMO and I know I'm not alone.

I am not saying the definitely should try to improve with another RB, I just don't see it as much of a priority as others.

Sure, if Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders drops to them in the second, go for it.  Otherwise, use the 2nd and 3rd to get an Edge rusher, maybe another tackle, even a WR.  There are always RBs available in FA and later in the draft.

15 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

How has he "earned the starting job"??   Is he the league leader in rushing?.......  Conference leader in rushing?....  Division leader in rushing?....  Top 8 in rushing yardage?....  Top 16 in rushing yardage?....  Top 24 in rushing yardage?  Well he is about there.  I guess you are satisfied with finishing about 3/4 down the standings.  .... Not to be mean, but do you understand what I am saying?  ... (now I expect a whole bunch of excuses)

He was first in yards per carry.  So let me get this straight.  You want to use TOTALS on a season where he MISSED FOUR games and also SPLIT TIME with a future HOF RB? Are you for real right now?  Are you trying to say Devin was not productive when he touched the ball?  If so, then you should probably stop analyzing players given he was one of the most productive RB's in the NFL on a per touch basis as a rookie.  

I love how you want to use totals when he only played 12 games and split time and completely ignore all the plays he made when he was given chances and how he led the NFL in ypc.  

Doesnt matter what you and I think...the bottom line he earned the starting job with the coaching staff and the players.  Case closed.

12 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

WTF !!!

I guess there is a guy who will play for the league minium and get 500 yards rushing if you play him most downs.  He will be a REAL BARGAIN in the parameter {yards gained per dollar spent} or {yards gained per draft-board-point}.    You have your eye on the wrong ball. ... ... I hope the Bills are TRYING TO GET TO THE SUPER BOWL AND WIN IT, rather than just keeping an almost competitive team on the field and making a modest profit.

Please don't get swept away by all the very very very very very smart experts.  What matters at the end of each game day is WHO SCORED MORE FIGGING POINTS, and not how clever they were in putting a team on the field or scoring fantasy points. A much better running back who can break some big plays ("a touchdown maker) and win some games,,,, as well has catching the figging ball and do some damage- which will help our WR as well,, is what the Bills are in the need of. 

But maybe we need a 3rd string rookie offensive tackle, who has a 1 in 4 chance of being a backup in two years and a 1 in 16 chance of being a starter.

Sorry to rant.

This is a terrible post.  Sorry.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

WTF !!!

Please don't get swept away by all the very very very smart experts.  What matters at the end of each game day is WHO SCORED MORE FIGGING POINTS, and not how clever they were in putting a team on the field or scoring fantasy points. 

Sorry to rant.

What are you talking about?  Another RB is most likely not going to get the Bills a super bowl trophy.  And the Bills already have a very good one in Singletary.  When was the last time a stud RB carried a team to a Super Bowl?  You'd probably have to go back to 2014 with the Seahawks and Lynch and I'd argue that Wilson was far more important to that team.  Since then, here are the Super Bowl starting RBs, winning team first.

2020 - Damian Williams and Raheem Mostert

2019 - Sony Michel and Todd Gurley

2018 - LaGarrett Blount and Sony Michel

2017 - LaGarrete Blount and Devonta Freeman

2016 - Royce Freeman and Jonathan Stewart

2015 - Jonas Gray or pick one and Lynch

Again, not saying to necessarily do ANYTHING, just not that big of a priority.  Certainly would not use a 2nd on one unless it was Walter Payton or something.

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He was first in yards per carry.  So let me get this straight.  You want to use TOTALS on a season where he MISSED FOUR games and also SPLIT TIME with a future HOF RB? Are you for real right now?  Are you trying to say Devin was not productive when he touched the ball?  If so, then you should probably stop analyzing players given he was one of the most productive RB's in the NFL on a per touch basis as a rookie.  

I love how you want to use totals when he only played 12 games and split time and completely ignore all the plays he made when he was given chances and how he led the NFL in ypc.  

Doesnt matter what you and I think...the bottom line he earned the starting job with the coaching staff and the players.  Case closed.

This is a terrible post.  Sorry.  

That is a terrible post. He missed 4 games, but then the excuses come in. An undersized guy running between the tackles and you can't think that is going to work for a full season?   If you want to just have a homer and root for "your guy" and be satisifed with, "we will do better next year". well then I have no problem with your view.  His receiving did little to help the team, he never went wide as an extra receiver, he couldn't break away or get around the corner.    But we can get another guy, not to push him the the bench but  to back him up and not challenge him in the 4th round.  Jessh !!

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

19 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

That is a terrible post. He missed 4 games, but then the excuses come in. An undersized guy running between the tackles and you can't think that is going to work for a full season?   If you want to just have a homer and root for "your guy" and be satisifed with, "we will do better next year". well then I have no problem with your view.  His receiving did little to help the team, he never went wide as an extra receiver, he couldn't break away or get around the corner.    But we can get another guy, not to push him the the bench but  to back him up and not challenge him in the 4th round.  Jessh !!

Yup we sure can.  Or the 2nd or 3rd too, wherever Beane sees the opportunity.  

What excuses?  I hate this BS cop out response that TSW throws out to refute facts.  Every time someone presents someone else with facts that they can't refute, they call it "excuses".

FACT:  He missed 4 games.  That impacts "totals" you are obsessed about.

FACT:  He was FIRST in the NFL among RB's with at least 150 carries in Yards Per Carry.

FACT:  He was 2nd string RB behind a future HOF RB, because he was a rookie, for most the season.

FACT:  He was tied for 9th in the NFL with 7 runs of 20+ yards despite ONLY 151 carries and 4 missed games.  League leader had 11 and twice as many carries (meaning Devin would have projected to have 14 with same number of carries which would have been first in NFL too)

You can ignore those FACTS all you want, but it doesn't change the truth.

Devin has earned starting responsibilities from his play ON THE FIELD, including his playoff game where had 134 total yards averaging 4.8 ypc and 12.5 yards per catch.  And again, doesn't even matter what you think or even I think, the remaining fact is the coaching staff sees him as the starter too right now. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dubs said:

I am not saying the definitely should try to improve with another RB, I just don't see it as much of a priority as others.

Sure, if Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders drops to them in the second, go for it.  Otherwise, use the 2nd and 3rd to get an Edge rusher, maybe another tackle, even a WR.  There are always RBs available in FA and later in the draft.

Sure their available, but most suck at running in the NFL.

It seems you have your mind made up and I have a different opinion.

I believe the idea of easily picking RBs in the late round is akin to an urban legend.

I've posted this 3 times in the last month or so and will do it one more time.

Which group do you want to pick from?

Last 6 drafts of RBs Rounds 1-3.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2014&year_max=2019&draft_round_min=1&draft_round_max=3&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&pos[]=rb&conference=any&show=all&order_by=rush_yds

Last 6 drafts of RBs Rounds 4-7.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2014&year_max=2019&draft_round_min=4&draft_round_max=7&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&pos[]=rb&conference=any&show=all&order_by=rush_yds

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I believe the idea of easily picking RBs in the late round is akin to an urban legend.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2014&year_max=2019&draft_round_min=1&draft_round_max=3&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&pos[]=rb&conference=any&show=all&order_by=rush_yds

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2014&year_max=2019&draft_round_min=4&draft_round_max=7&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&pick_type=overall&pos[]=rb&conference=any&show=all&order_by=rush_yds

But we already have a starting RB...so picking a complimentary RB in rounds 3, 4, or 5 for example could be just fine.  

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It’s not an extreme dug in position to say that the Bills are solid at RB and it’s not a pressing need but if the opportunity presents itself, take one, but likely wait until the later mid rounds so you can address more impactful positions where there is a bigger need (edge, cb, wr, OL, LB)

how many of the RBs in your first link have a Super Bowl victory?  One?

Edited by dubs

Yeldon was better than Gore, but they positioned Gore as the most important cornerstone veteran leader and mentor, so they couldn't just bench him, even though he sucked. Instead they tried to just get by with using him less. It was the biggest mistake by the coaching staff last season.

Singeltary is a fantastic find.  Hes slippery and sneaky fast like a compacted Fred Ex.  The biggest issue the offense had besides #1 wr was backup Rb.  When Singeltary was not in the game the offense was very predictable and became stagnet as the year went on.  Find a back that can do every Singeltary can do is huge for the offense to improve.  With that being said what player will be the highest rated when Buffalo is on the clock.

This year there are multiple players at both Wr and Rb who are rated higher then the players who went in the first rd last season.  Imo that os where the value is going to be.  There is going to be a player at Rb and Wr available at 54, who many here would have wanted if Buffalo picked at 22.  With the issues at rb after Singeltary in Buffalo its likely Buffalo could get great value and fill a need if they go Rb at 54

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But we already have a starting RB...so picking a complimentary RB in rounds 3, 4, or 5 for example could be just fine.  

Yes, Round 3 is the sweet spot between performance and value and it's what I predict Beane will do.

It just doesn't make sense for Beane to go after a FA back. If they were sold on Yeldon they would have played him extensively when Gore started to drop. I'm convinced they will pair Devin up with a quality RB from rounds 2-5. Maybe Taylor or Dobbins fall to 54? Maybe Moss or Helaire are available in the 3rd? And don't sleep on Kelley in the 4th? We will pu a very good RB. It remains whether this RB will end up RB1 or RB2.

30 minutes ago, dubs said:

It’s not an extreme dug in position to say that the Bills are solid at RB and it’s not a pressing need but if the opportunity presents itself, take one, but likely wait until the later mid rounds so you can address more impactful positions where there is a bigger need (edge, cb, wr, OL, LB)

how many of the RBs in your first link have carried their team to a Super Bowl victory?  One?

You and I see team needs very differently.

I'll politely bow out of the conversation.

Edited by ColoradoBills
brain fart
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

You and I see team needs very differently.

As to the SB question, Kareem Hunt (3rd round) and Sony Mitchel (1st round) come to mind in the last 2.

I'll politely bow out of the conversation.

kareem Hunt won a Super Bowl?

im not saying take all RBs off the board. Just that it’s not a huge need.  I wouldn’t take one in the second unless there was a no brainer. Bills need other positions more IMHO. 

4 minutes ago, dubs said:

kareem Hunt won a Super Bowl?

im not saying take all RBs off the board. Just that it’s not a huge need.  I wouldn’t take one in the second unless there was a no brainer. Bills need other positions more IMHO. 

brain fart.

45 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes, Round 3 is the sweet spot between performance and value and it's what I predict Beane will do.

That may have been true in recent past, but it seems that going into this draft RB's are being more coveted, so they might have to bite a little sooner to get the best value.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree, and I’m hoping AJ Dillon last until our pick and its him.  

Major draft crush on him right now.  A young Jerome Bettis is what I see.  Also Derrick He th clone.

Big. Powerful. Fast. Elusive. Great hands.

We all agree that there is a "hole" on the roster in the RB group.  Whoever they add and by whatever means they get him, he will be on the field with the ball in his hands way more than any other player they acquire from now until the start of the season (if we are blessed to have the conditions to have one.)  This will happen if he is RB1, RB1a/b or RB2.  RBs take more physical punishment than any other position, imo, and they get dinged up all the time.  This RB might get significant playing time should Devin suffer any lingering or serious injury.  We all want more playmaking talent added to the offense, right?  So, why not get the best playmaking talent possible added to the roster?

I am pretty sure that the Bills front office has put together a well thought out plan to address this roster "hole."  I'd love to know what it is.  We'll probably only know a small part of it based on what we see them do in the draft.  Do they want a specialist?  Do they want an all around talent that is capable of being on the field in any situation?  Do they want someone that is good at parts of the game where Devin lacks?  Getting someone as good as or better than Devin makes the offense better.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

We all agree that there is a "hole" on the roster in the RB group.  Whoever they add and by whatever means they get him, he will be on the field with the ball in his hands way more than any other player they acquire from now until the start of the season (if we are blessed to have the conditions to have one.)  This will happen if he is RB1, RB1a/b or RB2.  RBs take more physical punishment than any other position, imo, and they get dinged up all the time.  This RB might get significant playing time should Devin suffer any lingering or serious injury.  We all want more playmaking talent added to the offense, right?  So, why not get the best playmaking talent possible added to the roster?

I am pretty sure that the Bills front office has put together a well thought out plan to address this roster "hole."  I'd love to know what it is.  We'll probably only know a small part of it based on what we see them do in the draft.  Do they want a specialist?  Do they want an all around talent that is capable of being on the field in any situation?  Do they want someone that is good at parts of the game where Devin lacks?  Getting someone as good as or better than Devin makes the offense better.

I don't see Singletary as a top 8 RB in the league and if we have a chance to get that sort of guy, it should be our first choice.