Trump Is Just A Terrible President, Totally Unfit For The Job

58 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Guns are great but they're not going to save my life and anybody holding onto a gun thinking it's going to save their life is living in a fantasy world. 

And that's the other part.  The chances of you being invaded by an armed intruder in the first place and successfully protecting yourself are astronomically low.

Just now, Gene Frenkle said:

And that's the other part.  The chances of you being invaded by an armed intruder in the first place and successfully protecting yourself are astronomically low.

Plus they're locked so... I'd be screwed. Now the machete near the door... That's another story

41 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m the CEO of a multi million dollar architectural firm....and you?

You should give all of your starving friends some of your millions.

35 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Holy crap!  A sample size of 1.  I'm convinced.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Tell that to my daughters best friend and her husband who’re five months pregnant and need the jobs to pay for expenses! I’ll let her know you said for her to ‘hang on a little while longer’ while we kill off her job for good. 

Maybe when it comes time she can just hold off those contractions a little longer? 

16 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Yes, this was one of your links:

2015: 102 Burglary Homocides

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/tables/expanded_homicide_data_table_10_murder_circumstances_by_relationship_2015.xls

Pretty slick. Did you actually think you could get that one by me? Of course there won't be as many homos killed in a burglary as normal people. Did you count how many of them got slapped to death? Your long term absence has affected your posting skills. While you never were the best, at least you used to be able to keep up with Crayonz. Not to upset your self of steam but you might need to get yourself some Super Beets and Ginkgo Biloba in order to keep up with the rest of us. Just stay away from TH3's magical elixir that not only kills all viruses but can put a really nice shine on the glass walls of an aquarium. 

Dude, Homos is not the preferred nomenclature.

Edit: Goddamn ***** censor filter ***** with my ***** jokes...

Edit: It censors the singular of homos, but not the plural (obviously)

13 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Were those guesses?  

Do you think they were?

Edited by Gene Frenkle

9 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Plus they're locked so... I'd be screwed. Now the machete near the door... That's another story

No, Chef said he kept his guns under his pillow when sleeping in Oakland.

That's both smart and possibly irresponsible, IDK.

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

What would you prefer?

Not big on the pop culture references, are you Dude?

Edit: I've got some extra Ginkgo if you need some.

Edited by Gene Frenkle

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

How likely are you to die from a mass shooting with an assault weapon?

I know where you’re going with this, but it’s a hard question to answer directly because you haven’t defined assault weapon.  Or mass shooting, for that matter. 

8 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Living in Oakland doesn't really change your odds of getting killed by an intruder much at all, even if it makes you feel better.  Like I said, I might do the same in that situation, but the stats are the stats dude.

Have I mentioned my concern about being killed by an intruder?  I’m talking about protection. Someone breaks in I want to make sure he realizes he picked the wrong house.  I feel like the dude has a much better chance of going to jail if I hold him with my Glock vs a spatula.  

10 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Question. Do you by chance have or know someone who has term life insurance? 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Have I mentioned my concern about being killed by an intruder?  I’m talking about protection. Someone breaks in I want to make sure he realizes he picked the wrong house.  I feel like the dude has a much better chance of going to jail if I hold him with my Glock vs a spatula.  

Yep, I understand that it makes you feel better.  Like I said, have at it.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

And the sad part is that you immediately assume that I’m not. 

Not true at all, though you do spend a lot of time posting on a message board instead of running the company.  Like I'm one to talk!

I'm serious, you should help them out.  It the charitable thing to do.  YOU can make a difference.

13 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

I gotta ask. Why are you so adamantly against people wanting to feel safe in their own home?

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Not sure what the justification law is in Cali.  But I take it that in the scenario in which the intruder tries to turn and run you're going to put some lead in his back, right?

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I know where you’re going with this, but it’s a hard question to answer directly because you haven’t defined assault weapon.  Or mass shooting, for that matter. 

Automatic or even semi-automatic and more than two people.

Question. Do you by chance have or know someone who has term life insurance? 

Yep.  The field of causes of death is much wider when we're not talking about protecting the homestead.  People die every day of all kinds of things.  That's actually a reasonable thing to worry about.

My point is not that you shouldn't have your guns.  It's that the reason most people state for having their guns is not a rational way of thinking.  Conservatives are generally more fearful of irrational things (disclaimer: the population of Conservatives, not necessarily you), so it makes sense that they are the ones who are typically pro-gun.

Just now, SectionC3 said:

Not sure what the justification law is in Cali.  But I take it that in the scenario in which the intruder tries to turn and run you're going to put some lead in his back, right?

Nope. Nice try. Again with the “I know all about you” posts. ?

Here’s a question for you. What piece of protection is going to have the bad guy turning and running in the first place. A handgun or a spatula? 

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I gotta ask. Why are you so adamantly against people wanting to feel safe in their own home?

I'm generally irked by irrational thought and illogical thinking dictating how we live our lives.  Plus, I like to argue.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Yep.  The field of causes of death is much wider when we're not talking about protecting the homestead.  People die every day of all kinds of things.  That's actually a reasonable thing to worry about.

My point is not that you shouldn't have your guns.  It's that the reason most people state for having their guns is not a rational way of thinking.  Conservatives are generally more fearful of irrational things (disclaimer: the population of Conservatives, not necessarily you), so it makes sense that they are the ones who are typically pro-gun.

The stats show that a term policy every paying out is astronomically low. So why are they so popular?  

Your point is I shouldn’t have my guns?????  Seriously?  Why not?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

Automatic or even semi-automatic and more than two people.

Autos are illegal, right?  Semis can make autos with a bump stock, correct?

I'll spare everyone the aggravation of the stats.  The odds are low.  Undoubtedly.  

I'll note that you've chosen a wide berth w/r/t to "assault weapons" that embraces far more firearms than were affected by the Federal Assault Weapons ban of the 90s.  So your plan probably is to get me to say that it's a good idea for gun control to embrace semi-autos, and then you'll come back and try to characterize me as a having an all or nothing view on gun control.  

I'll cut right to the chase and say that I suppose reinstitution of the federal assault weapons ban that was allowed to expire, that I acknowledge that the ban will not defeat all mass shootings (particularly given the broad definition of the phrase that you have chosen), and that I maintain that the specifics of the ban will, however, limit carnage in instances of multiple casualties.  That is, I think it's a good idea. 

See?  I just saved us a whole lot of back and forth today. 

36 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Here’s a question for you. What piece of protection is going to have the bad guy turning and running in the first place. A handgun or a spatula? 

In 3,281,999 out of every 3,282,000 million universes, Chef, there is no bad guy.

Edit: I ***** up. :)

Edited by Gene Frenkle

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

How do you plan to hold this guy to get him to prison if he turns to run? 

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

The stats show that a term policy every paying out is astronomically low. So why are they so popular?  

Your point is I shouldn’t have my guns?????  Seriously?  Why not?

Because people are dumb.

Again, I don't care if you have your guns.  Just be informed and real about why you want them.

25 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

pulling the trigger is like totally complicated ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm generally irked by irrational thought and illogical thinking dictating how we live our lives.  Plus, I like to argue.

Again. My home was broken in to 12 months after we bought it. Our neighbor three times in the  5 years we lived there. Caught two people on my security cam peeking in my window on different occasions m.  Had one person knock on my door in the middle of the night and when I didn’t answer hop in someone’s car are speed off. Several instances of crazy people up and down our hill caught on cam. That’s not irrational that’s reality of where I lived. I bought two handguns when I lived there for protection. Since I moved I still have them because I learned I enjoyed going the range. 

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

How do you plan to hold this guy to get him to prison if he turns to run? 

If he turns to run then the fact that Chef Jim is pointing a gun at him rather than a spatula is what most likely saved the day. The purpose of the gun is not to put someone in prison but to keep the intruder from harming anyone in the house. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

If he turns to run then the fact that Chef Jim is pointing a gun at him rather than a spatula is what most likely saved the day. The purpose of the gun is not to put someone in prison but to keep the intruder from harming anyone in the house. 

But Chef Jim said the odds are better that the intruder will go to jail with Chef Jim's possession of the gun than without.  So the "play" is that the intruder will freeze upon sight of the weapon?  And wait for the police to come?  Who, according to Chef Jim, also sometimes take 14 hours or thereabouts to respond to burglaries in Oakland?  I just don't follow. 

Again. My home was broken in to 12 months after we bought it. Our neighbor three times in the  5 years we lived there. Caught two people on my security cam peeking in my window on different occasions m.  Had one person knock on my door in the middle of the night and when I didn’t answer hop in someone’s car are speed off. Several instances of crazy people up and down our hill caught on cam. That’s not irrational that’s reality of where I lived. I bought two handguns when I lived there for protection. Since I moved I still have them because I learned I enjoyed going the range. 

And yet you're still here.

I read that's part of why the number is so low every year.  Generally, burglars don't want to kill you.  They break in during the day, when you're not at home.  You're better off getting some dogs.

Just now, Chef Jim said:

I don’t. I will do my best to make sure he doesn’t flee the scene. If he does he one that got away. 

Well, I guess based on my last post your odds are probably slightly better of waiting the guy out with a gun than without.  But it's going to be an awfully long standoff if police response is as bad as you say it is in Oakland.  You'd probably be better off with a fake gun in that instance as well.  Or a pellet gun.  Eliminate the risk of accidental shooting in non-criminal situation. 

And yet you're still here.

I read that's part of why the number is so low every year.  Generally, burglars don't want to kill you.  They break in during the day, when you're not at home.  You're better off getting some dogs.

And yes I'm still here. What's your point? 

I don't want to kill them either.  I want them to go to jail.  A dog is not going to call the cops.  So you solution is to chase them away so they can break into someone else's house?  And yes they break in during the day when the THINK i'm not at home.  I had a kid try to break in during the day while I was at home.  

Just now, SectionC3 said:

But Chef Jim said the odds are better that the intruder will go to jail with Chef Jim's possession of the gun than without.  So the "play" is that the intruder will freeze upon sight of the weapon?  And wait for the police to come?  Who, according to Chef Jim, also sometimes take 14 hours or thereabouts to respond to burglaries in Oakland?  I just don't follow. 

Have you ever had a gun pointed at you? I can guarantee you that aren't going to be looking up the odds of actually getting shot while you are looking down that barrel. 

2 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

It's a gun owner's wet dream.

I'm pretty impatient.  I can't imagine hanging around for 14 hours pointing a gun at somebody waiting for the cops to come on somebody.  Kudos to those with that kind of commitment. 

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Have you ever had a gun pointed at you? I can guarantee you that aren't going to be looking up the odds of actually getting shot while you are looking down that barrel. 

So basically you're on the "all criminals will freeze and wait patiently, perhaps for up to 14 hours, when the gun is brandished" team.  Got it. 

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Well, I guess based on my last post your odds are probably slightly better of waiting the guy out with a gun than without.  But it's going to be an awfully long standoff if police response is as bad as you say it is in Oakland.  You'd probably be better off with a fake gun in that instance as well.  Or a pellet gun.  Eliminate the risk of accidental shooting in non-criminal situation. 

Slightly better with a gun.  SLIGHTLY??  Ok now you're just arguing for the sake to argue.  The cops will be there a bit quicker if I tell them I have a weapon. Trust me.