There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

LET’S GET BACK TO WORK: 

The W.H.O. Just Gave Us Another Great Reason to End the Coronavirus Lockdowns RIGHT NOW. 

“Asymptomatic people with the coronavirus are not driving the spread of the virus.”

This is probably misleadingly confusing aymptomatic with pre-symptomatic. Pre-symptomatic people have been shown to spread the virus and cause outbreaks. 

So I doubt this is the good news we hope it sounds like. 

2 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

"give up my liberties" shut the ***** up man

being on lockdown saved hundreds of thousands of lives. how come white people still don't understand this. 

people in this thread think going to play baseball is more important than fighting for human rights. wow the white privilege is insane. 

I kind of find that insulting all different kinds of people love baseball.  People still can fight for human rights as well.

33 minutes ago, shoshin said:

This is probably misleadingly confusing aymptomatic with pre-symptomatic. Pre-symptomatic people have been shown to spread the virus and cause outbreaks. 

So I doubt this is the good news we hope it sounds like. 

at this point, more cases is better as it gets us closer to herd immunity  faster 

sure is strange that there is minimal coverage regarding the need for hospital & ICU beds

7 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

"give up my liberties" shut the ***** up man

being on lockdown saved hundreds of thousands of lives. how come white people still don't understand this. 

people in this thread think going to play baseball is more important than fighting for human rights. wow the white privilege is insane. 

MuH rIgHtS!!!!!!

On 5/29/2020 at 12:02 PM, Magox said:

I certainly hope that they don't have to.  But I don't think they are eliminating that possibility. But you are right though, there are political implications.    But I do think it's gonna get awfully hairy.

The latest scuttlebut on the fixed income market is whether the banks will remain healthy enough to support the heavily indebted companies through year-end.   Right now, companies have plenty of cash because most borrowed as much as they could at the start of the pandemic.  That cash will probably run out by the end of the year for weaker companies, depending on the resumption of economic activity.

Corporate defaults are fully correlated to availability of funding from their lenders in a classic circular formula.   Right now, banks are flush with cash and are still supporting their clients.  That support will start to separate across industries and companies that are not likely to survive post pandemic.

The good news on all that is that the corporate default expectations by the banks are probably going to be more optimistic.

11 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

So you are mocking black Americans dying at the hands of police officers now? How childish 

we’re in a pandemic, dude.  Pretty selfish of people to be cramming themselves in with others and exposing countless others to COVID-19 (which they could then take to their elderly relatives and kill them), wouldn’t you agree?

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

we’re in a pandemic, dude.  Pretty selfish of people to be cramming themselves in with others and exposing countless others to COVID-19 (which they could then take to their elderly relatives and kill them), wouldn’t you agree?

Cries of racism ‘trumps’ everything...you should know that by now!

EVEN THEIR STRONGEST SUPPORTERS THINK THE PUBLIC-HEALTH COMMUNITY HAS SCREWED THE POOCH HERE:

By supporting, or at least tolerating, the protests, officials seem to have declared the pandemic less important than they previously made out. To some Trump supporters, the double standard validates their belief that the shutdown was a political ploy to hurt the president’s reelection prospects by harming the economy. To others, it shows that what really matters is who suffers: small businesses are fair game, left-wing protesters aren’t.

Yep. This is a historic failure. Plus:

“Flatten the curve” worked as a slogan, because most Americans wanted to avoid overrun hospitals. They didn’t want what happened in Lombardy to happen here. And, outside of New York City, flattening the curve has worked. Hospitals have been able to cope with the influx of COVID-19 patients.

But once you’ve solved that problem, then what? Officials never offered a coherent and realistic plan for going forward. Epidemiologists, people began to suspect, would demand that we stay home forever — or at least until a vaccine worked — never mind the economic, mental and physical toll. But the public was never going to tolerate a year-plus shutdown.

RETAIL SUPPORT BRIGADE SITREP:

So Helen and I paid our first visit to the recently reopened West Town Mall in like three months plus. It was a little sad. A number of smaller stores were closed — though to my relief, Mori Luggage, run by a nice lady, had just moved to a better location — and quite a few of the open ones had sentinels at the door who would disinfect your hands and tell you not to touch things. (To be fair, it was places like Sephora whose combination of frequent shoplifters and reduced staffs may have led to the gatekeeper approach.)

Most people weren’t wearing masks, though all store employees were. All seating was covered with yellow tape. You really didn’t need a mask, because there weren’t many people around. All told, kind of depressing. More fun needed.

Posted at 10:25 pm by Glenn Reynolds

VICTOR DAVIS HANSON: The Bitter Irony of Revolutions.

Social distancing and mandated lockdowns for months have been the source of endless fighting between the people and their governments. Red and blue states often adopted diametrically opposite policies.

But the massive demonstrations and rioting saw hundreds of thousands of protesters jammed together and often without masks. That mass disobedience to quarantining will teach us, better than any university modeling, whether the virus spikes or is indifferent to thousands who congregate in the streets.

The lockdowns were politically weaponized during this election year. Blue states thought the sinking economy would hurt President Trump’s reelection bid. Red states wanted to open up as quickly as possible to get the economy back and running before November.

Yet the mass progressive protests and violence forced an unplanned end to mass quarantining — and thereby inadvertently helped jumpstart the country back to business. Those who despise Trump may have done the most to help him.

It’s VDH, so read the whole thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Gathering Is Essential – Unless You’re Republican

by Liz Harrington

Original Article

Destroying a business is tolerated, reopening one forbidden. Democrats are bailing out rioters, and sending salon owners to prison. Going to church is worse than trying to burn it down. Protesting is a threat to public health, until experts declare your cause worthy enough. These are the new, ever-changing rules of Democrats’ America. We’ll forgive you if you have a hard time keeping up – but they won’t.

After months shaming Americans who had the audacity to want to reopen their businesses safely as COVID-19 cases waned, social distancing is suddenly less important than “social justice,” according to the media’s health “experts.” It was an “ugly and dangerous scene.”

I recall when that extra $600/week was first approved, and Lindsey wanted to go back and make sure it was not going to pay people in excess of their regular salary (if someone earned $800 a week, and state unemployment gave $400 with the extra $600 they got $1K and so more than when working).  It was said an extension of that $600 to pay people extra was "dead" in the next phase. We shall see.

Dems, GOP continue to spar over extension of extra $600 in unemployment benefits

</snip>

Lawmakers are at loggerheads over an extension of enhanced unemployment benefits being paid to millions of out-of-work Americans.

Congressional Democrats want to continue the extra $600 weekly jobless payments that began when the CARES Act was enacted in March, calling them a financial lifeline that has helped families pay rent and put food on the table.

Not extending them would disproportionately disadvantage minority workers, they said.

But Republicans, including U.S. Secretary of Labor Eugene Scalia, have dug in their heels. They appear resolute in blocking such action, calling the enhanced benefits a disincentive to work that could mute the economic recovery.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I recall when that extra $600/week was first approved, and Lindsey wanted to go back and make sure it was not going to pay people in excess of their regular salary (if someone earned $800 a week, and state unemployment gave $400 with the extra $600 they got $1K and so more than when working).  It was said an extension of that $600 to pay people extra was "dead" in the next phase. We shall see.

Dems, GOP continue to spar over extension of extra $600 in unemployment benefits

</snip>

Lawmakers are at loggerheads over an extension of enhanced unemployment benefits being paid to millions of out-of-work Americans.

Congressional Democrats want to continue the extra $600 weekly jobless payments that began when the CARES Act was enacted in March, calling them a financial lifeline that has helped families pay rent and put food on the table.

Not extending them would disproportionately disadvantage minority workers, they said.

But Republicans, including U.S. Secretary of Labor Eugene Scalia, have dug in their heels. They appear resolute in blocking such action, calling the enhanced benefits a disincentive to work that could mute the economic recovery.

</snip>

...my son has a a landscaping maintenance and hardscape design business.....needs two full-time workers age 18 or more.....applicants' first question is, "can you pay me under the table?".......stay home at a minimum of the $600 gravy train stipend is a deterrent for "back to work"...Treasury Secretary said, "if you refuse work, you're off the train"......enforcement?...NOT......easy to falisfy "efforts(COUGH)" looking for work....$600 stipend allegedly expires July 31 but stay tuned for extension.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...my son has a a landscaping maintenance and hardscape design business.....needs two full-time workers age 18 or more.....applicants' first question is, "can you pay me under the table?".......stay home at a minimum of the $600 gravy train stipend is a deterrent for "back to work"...Treasury Secretary said, "if you refuse work, you're off the train"......enforcement?...NOT......easy to falisfy "efforts(COUGH)" looking for work....$600 stipend allegedly expires July 31 but stay tuned for extension.....

I think everyone has stories like that. The window washing company I hire could not get people to work for them early on because of that extra $600. The owner told me point blank how tough it was getting people to work, "That extra $600 means they make more money at home."

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I think everyone has stories like that. The window washing company I hire could not get people to work for them early on because of that extra $600. The owner told me point blank how tough it was getting people to work, "That extra $600 means they make more money at home."

...GOOD CALL MY FRIEND.....the $600 is now a deterrent versus work inducement.......extend the July 31 expiration (Pelousy is busy drafting legislation) and we sink deeper.....could that be the Dems' goal?...naw...NEVER......

39 minutes ago, B-Man said:

One of the reasons someone chooses to go to a school like Harvard is for the connections you make. 

My husband has always called his MBA a business transaction (I give you XX dollars, you give me a diploma), but this takes that to another level (my son is not quite so cynical and felt he learned stuff at school when he got his MBA).

CORONAVIRUS HYSTERIA IS OVER

The disease isn’t over, but the hysteria is.

For many, the turning point came when public health “experts” who had bitterly denounced demonstrations against shutdowns as health hazards, responded to the Black Lives Matter riots with silence and, often, enthusiastic endorsement. That lasted until President Trump announced his intention to resume holding rallies. Once again, we are told that public gatherings are a vitally important health threat. It isn’t hard to understand the game that is being played here.

As one state after another has lifted shutdown restrictions, some have seen increases in the number of Wuhan virus cases. Which should surprise no one: if one assumes that the shutdowns had at least some effect in slowing down the virus’s spread, ending the shutdowns will naturally lead to more cases.

The mystery is why, in some states, transmission doesn’t seem to have accelerated. In any event, the shutdowns couldn’t be maintained 1) forever, or 2) until a vaccine is developed, proved safe and effective, and distributed. This is why I always thought the shutdowns were more or less useless.

More at the link:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

CORONAVIRUS HYSTERIA IS OVER

The disease isn’t over, but the hysteria is.

There are plenty of people still in hysterics but it's waning. Just hope it's in full retreat very soon. 

There's still plenty of fear to go around for those of you who want it. You can always pick another topic. Pick a thread any thread. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, shoshin said:

There are plenty of people still in hysterics but it's waning. Just hope it's in full retreat very soon. 

There's still plenty of fear to go around for those of you who want it. You can always pick another topic. Pick a thread any thread. 

....the political capital for the MSM is waning.....protests and destruction with no masks or "social distancing" is now their focus.....

Lots of data coming in suggesting that the hole the economy is in may not have been as deep as once feared.

This is an analysis that seems to be lacking out in the economic circles.  The discussion is primarily revolved around the speed of the recovery, which of course is a very important component.  However, there are other variables and the other variable is the depth of the hole that we are in.  The Jobs numbers that came in this past month showed that we have about 10 million more jobs than where we feared we would be.

Here is another good report.

Manufacturing activity snapped back to life in the New York area this month as optimism for future activity hit its highest in almost 11 years.

The Empire State Manufacturing Survey posted a reading of -0.2 in June after hitting record lows in the previous two months. The gauge measures the percentage firms reporting expansion against those seeing contraction and is up 48.3 points from May. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had expected a reading of -35.

Monthly improvement came across the board, with the most glaring increase coming in the index of future business conditions. That level rose to 56.5, it’s highest level since October 2009 as 68.6% of firms see expansion ahead against just 12.1% that see contraction.

The June reading represents a rise off the bottom reached as the coronavirus pandemic crushed the regional economy, but overall still reflects a standstill in growth vs. the sharp contractions seen in the past two months.

This is good stuff

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

22 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

One of the reasons someone chooses to go to a school like Harvard is for the connections you make. 

My husband has always called his MBA a business transaction (I give you XX dollars, you give me a diploma), but this takes that to another level (my son is not quite so cynical and felt he learned stuff at school when he got his MBA).

I definitely learned stuff during my MBA program. You had to work to get it. Nothing was handed to you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

image.png.d3ea173603ce59ffb4135c1ab0da4194.png  Oh bless you King Andrew, thank you for your generosity..........

It does not matter how pissed off people are if the GOP does not run a reasonable person for Governor in 2022, and if the RNC does not help that person. Cuomo will be reelected if he runs, as things stand now. I am hopeful the RNC sees a chance, but I doubt it.