Josh Allen "Prove it" Season In Year 3

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Eh, I don’t agree on the wins.  Allen could have a better year, the defense could slip a better, and with a harder schedule, we might not win as much. So I don’t think that’s fair to put entirely on Allen. 

I only care about wins. I’m not as concerned about Allen putting stats as I am about him playing winning football. The defense might slip statistically , but they’re a unit that’s good enough to contend for a title. The offense hasn’t been good enough, but I think they’re closer now in terms of talent. Still questions at TE and RT, but they are getting close. The schedule is an unknown every year, regardless of what the prognosticators say. The end results might not be entirely on Allen, but his progress/ performance will have the biggest impact on the Bills season. 

JA can’t do anything about the bad and predictable play calling. That alone would have won the WC game and we all know that. 

Adding Diggs is a HUGE upgrade over whatever player du jour was on the outside each week. It will also hold guys like Beasley accountable when he doesn’t fight for catchable balls. 

Execution on 3rd down is a HUGE need. I’d like to see him play with more urgency in those situations, doing whatever needs to be done to keep the offense on the field. That’s something that we all saw guys like Mahomes and Russell Wilson do time and time again all season, and both of them were late season MVP candidates. I would love to see JA take that leap and move into that tier of player. He’s shown he can do it late in the game. If he can do that on 3rd and long in the 2nd qtr, he won’t have to play out of his mind in the 4th. 

13 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Many on this site would like Josh to be cut immediately. That's the nature of fandom these days. But, he is making substantial progress regardless of what some fans think. Plus, he is a natural born leader and that's something we have not seen in quite a while. I like what I am seeing and hope his ceiling is where we all would like it to be.

Please find one post where anyone has said close to that.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Please find one post where anyone has said close to that.  

Find the guy who claimed Allen was a bottom 5 passer in all categories and then mysteriously disappeared after being proven wrong.

He's the one whose posts you were liking.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I don't think it's necessary to parse this, myself.

I'd say something like ... improve significantly and improve more as the season goes along. Be among the top half of all starters in 2020 and hopefully even a bit higher than that.

And be a guy who gives you confidence he's going to make the play with two minutes left and the game on the line.  Doesn't have to do it every time, but he has to look like he can and not make us wonder what good, bad or weird thing is about to happen. 

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

And be a guy who gives you confidence he's going to make the play with two minutes left and the game on the line.  Doesn't have to do it every time, but he has to look like he can and not make us wonder what good, bad or weird thing is about to happen. 

He's already that guy tho

It's the other stuff he needs to work on

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Off target is interesting too.  Allen is really high up there.  But Rodgers is because he throws the ball away a lot.  

imo, these stats need more context.  Not every drop is the same.  And not every off target throw is the same.  

allen needs to be more accurate.  If this year happens. I’m very excited because it should be a much tougher schedule and we be facing a ton more good qbs.  So there will be more pressure on the offense to score.  I hope Allen proves he is the guy. 

I mean he gets credit for being a winning qb because we have an awesome defense.  It goes both ways.  Too much blame and too much credit.  

Did the defense engineer all those 4th quarter game winning drives?

23 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Find the guy who claimed Allen was a bottom 5 passer in all categories and then mysteriously disappeared after being proven wrong.

He's the one whose posts you were liking.

Did he say they should cut him?  Even if a guy is lower tier starting qb, he belongs on the roster.  Now a guy like Barkley, who is nice, can be cut.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

That is a tough question.  I hate to give up on him.  For me it depends on if he has showing improvement on other areas of his game.  IE: decision making, long through accuracy, and eliminating the panic plays where is turns the ball over when trying to do too much.

Yup I agree...I had explained during Allen’s first season that the fans would stay behind Josh’s low production so long as he kept improving...however, if he ever stopped improving, and still had low production, it was my opinion that that would be when fans would start to turn on him...

• Like (+1) 1

It’s a big year for Allen and this offense. I definitely would not call him a franchise QB right now. My standards aren’t that low. The excuses have all but dried up. I’m looking forward to see if he can continue improving.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I am a Josh Allen fan.  I believe that he has the physical gifts to be a generational quarterback.  I also am aware of his weaknesses.

Now that Josh has one of the best trio starting wide receivers in the league, what does he have to do to show that he is the Bills franchise quarterback?

I don’t think it’s necessarily related to a stat line (though it probably is) but I think we need to see Josh show that he’s capable of succeeding and scoring on good defenses.  I’d like to see him take over games - the way that Patrick Mahomes took over the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.  We saw glimpses of this last season, but outside of the win against Dallas it’s hard to find a complete game from Allen

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It’s a big year for Allen and this offense. I definitely would not call him a franchise QB right now. My standards aren’t that low. The excuses have all but dried up. I’m looking forward to see if he can continue improving.

This is a fair and measured take. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Did the defense engineer all those 4th quarter game winning drives?

People really don’t get how this works?  When the offense struggles to score more than 14 points or so all game, the defense keeps us in the game.  The defense was the only reason the Jets didn’t blow us out in the opener with all the turnovers we had in the first half. 

mark Sanchez had 5 game owing drives in a season because the offense sucked most of the game but the defense kept the game close. 

pat mahomes nearly carried the 31st ranked defense to the SB.  Allen beat the Titans 14-7.  A little different than Mahomes coming back to beat the Lions 34-30, right?

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t know how any rational fan could argue that. But 200 yards passing is a party for us now, so who knows?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

People really don’t get how this works?  When the offense struggles to score more than 14 points or so all game, the defense keeps us in the game.  The defense was the only reason the Jets didn’t blow us out in the opener with all the turnovers we had in the first half. 

mark Sanchez had 5 game owing drives in a season because the offense sucked most of the game but the defense kept the game close. 

pat mahomes nearly carried the 31st ranked defense to the SB.  Allen beat the Titans 14-7.  A little different than Mahomes coming back to beat the Lions 34-30, right?

The other alternative is he could have completely fallen apart like Fitz would have or not had the talent to engineer a two minute offense like Tyrod. What do you want from the guy?  Haha. 

Bottom line is people who don’t like Allen will continue to make reasons why he came up clutch in late game situations more often than not. Heck, he even went the length of the field against Houston to tie the game and send it to OT. You can even argue that if Knox or Morse would have made a block on his keeper in Houston territory we would won that game. 

Another poster in this thread nailed it when he said Allen gets all the blame, which comes with being a qb. But please, for thelove of God,  give the kid some credit. It’s really sickening how people bash him to death in this board. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Allen HAS kept improving, had very little mental collapses. He has shown to be a leader, coachable, etc. He has thrown very little INTs. He does not need to improve that much to be a top tier QB. While a few parts of the D could have gotten older in a bad way, 2nd year of most of the OL together, better experience for Knox, Singletarry and Josh himself, and of course Diggs, wow, the potential is there. Add a couple of 1st downs per game and one deep ball every other game, and your mythical 300 ypg will happen. Barring injuries, always the potential monkey wrench, this offense could be a powerhouse IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

The other alternative is he could have completely fallen apart like Fitz would have or not had the talent to engineer a two minute offense like Tyrod. What do you want from the guy?  Haha. 

Bottom line is people who don’t like Allen will continue to make reasons why he came up clutch in late game situations more often than not. Heck, he even went the length of the field against Houston to tie the game and send it to OT. You can even argue that if Knox or Morse would have made a block on his keeper in Houston territory we would won that game. 

Another poster in this thread nailed it when he said Allen gets all the blame, which comes with being a qb. But please, for thelove of God,  give the kid some credit. It’s really sickening how people bash him to death in this board. 

Where I’m at with Allen.  He has the luxury of playing with a very good defense that makes his margin of error much higher than most qbs.  I think a lot of qbs, say Andy Dalton, could have “lead” us to the playoffs last year.  It was a really good situations. 

that said, the dude is super talent and very exciting. Most of the time, the moment doesn’t look to big for him.  But he is very inconsistent and that really needs to improve this year.  Too many highs and lows.  Watch Brady highlights.  They are rarely super exciting but he is just maddeningly consistent.  That’s what we need Allen to be.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1