Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Coach55

Next years starters - only getting better

Recommended Posts

If you look at the current roster situation, excluding the draft - we are only getting better...

 

Offense (10 returning starters)

QB - Allen - better with Age

RB - Singletary - better with Age

WR1 - Diggs (new) - massive upgrade vs platoon

WR2 - Brown - same as last year

WR3 - Beasley - same as last year

TE - Knox - better with Age

LT - Dawkins - same as last year

LG - Spain - same as last year

C - Morse - same as last year

RG - Feliciano - same as last year

RT - Ford/Nsekhe - better with Age/same as last year

O-line as a whole should improve due to year over year cohesiveness

 

Defense (9/10 returning starters - pending the package)

DE - Hughes - may lose a step this year

DT - Oliver - better with Age (will also be returning Harrison Philips who should also be better being healthy and older)

DT - Lotulelei - same as last year

DE - Addison - Should be a slight upgrade/wash vs. Lawson/Murphy

LB - Edwards - Better with Age

LB - Milano - Better with Age

LB - Klein - wash vs. Alexander (won't be on the field more than 50% of the snaps)

CB - White - Entering Prime

CB - Wallace/Norman - Better with Age/Potential upgrade

NCB - Johnson/Neal - Both better with Age

S - Poyer - same as last year

S - Hyde - same as last year

 

All and all - we are only getting better and more mature.  Our depth is also a lot deeper.   We are getting to the point where we are pretty solid all around and can make a deep run.  ... and we still have the draft to go. 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Klein is a nice upgrade over Lorax. 
Alexander was mr versatility but he was also really slow looking last year. I dreaded when I seen him drop into coverage. I like Klein but I’m still cheering for Vosean Joseph to force himself into meaningful play time. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This roster is loaded with talent. Beane really overloaded this team with lots of good players. Only holes I see are RG, RT and backup RB. Even those positions it’s not like omg the sky is falling. Buffalo should win the AFC East and I could possibly see a Super Bowl run in play if Josh Allen takes a step forward. This is a 12 win team. Once again, even our weak areas have talented players that can perform if need be. We will go as far as Allen takes us.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Presuming it's Edmunds and not Edwards, I agree with all except Dawkins who should be better than last year. Also if you look at positions not people, all 3 WR positions are better:

 

WR1 Diggs vs. Brown - better

WR2 Brown vs. Beasley - much better

WR3 Beasley vs. Foster/McKenzie/Williams/Roberts/Zay - way better

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team certainly looks better on paper. Now it's up to the coaches to get them to play as a team. I believe they will.

 

Success still hinges on Josh Allen taking a big step this year. His willingness to be coaches and make changes to his game gives me hope that he'll improve. With this roster, we don't need him to be great just yet. But he becomes a genuinely "good" quarterback, this team will win a lot of games.

 

He's not there yet, so winning the division is not a foregone conclusion. But it is a pretty decent bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

This team certainly looks better on paper. Now it's up to the coaches to get them to play as a team. I believe they will.

 

Success still hinges on Josh Allen taking a big step this year. His willingness to be coaches and make changes to his game gives me hope that he'll improve. With this roster, we don't need him to be great just yet. But he becomes a genuinely "good" quarterback, this team will win a lot of games.

 

He's not there yet, so winning the division is not a foregone conclusion. But it is a pretty decent bet.

They’ll NEED to be genuinely “good”. Not likely we’ll end the careers of old opponents QBs or face many 1st ever reps for QBs as we did last year. Most of them were precarious wins too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We go as far as Allen and the offense take us. If he fixes the deep ball then we can be a force.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Presuming it's Edmunds and not Edwards, I agree with all except Dawkins who should be better than last year. Also if you look at positions not people, all 3 WR positions are better:

 

WR1 Diggs vs. Brown - better

WR2 Brown vs. Beasley - much better

WR3 Beasley vs. Foster/McKenzie/Williams/Roberts/Zay - way better

This is the point I've been making.   Three positions got better, and collectively, as a unit, they're a serious threat.  

 

OP has an interesting take.   I think his assessments are pretty much on the money, may even be a bit cautious on a couple.   And there's still the likelihood that someone named in the 22 loses his job to a surprise diamond in the rough.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Predicting players trajectories is a fruitless endeavor.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   Oliver and Knox are the two players who immediately come to mind, Knox especially. If he is able to cut down on his drops it would be huge. 
    I love the Klein pickup as well as Diggs. If Josh can learn to put some air under his long ball Diggs has the tracking skills and catch radius to do some serious damage.

   Continuity!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

This roster is loaded with talent. Beane really overloaded this team with lots of good players. Only holes I see are RG, RT and backup RB. Even those positions it’s not like omg the sky is falling. Buffalo should win the AFC East and I could possibly see a Super Bowl run in play if Josh Allen takes a step forward. This is a 12 win team. Once again, even our weak areas have talented players that can perform if need be. We will go as far as Allen takes us.

No holes on the Oline. Feliciano was good. It is highly probably Ford is going to get much better this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

We go as far as Allen and the offense take us. If he fixes the deep ball then we can be a force.

Yup.  And I’m sure the Bears were thinking the same thing with Mitchell after his second year.  This is an absolutely huge year for Allen’s career.  The excuses are done and it looks to be a harder schedule.  Prove you’re the guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  And I’m sure the Bears were thinking the same thing with Mitchell after his second year.  This is an absolutely huge year for Allen’s career.  The excuses are done and it looks to be a harder schedule.  Prove you’re the guy. 


Yeah, It’s not always a linear progression when it comes to young QB play. We’ve seen countless times where teams think they’ve found their guy and it turns out they haven’t. 
 

Allen has the weapons. He has the coaching. It’s on him to prove he’s the guy. If he doesn’t take a big step forward this year then I doubt it ever happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP has a good point.  I don't think among young players improvement is necessarily uniform across the board.  For instance, Devin Singletary is pretty advanced in his running. I think he'll improve a little, but I think the potential is there at least for Dawson Knox to make a vast improvement because he is still relatively recently removed from a transition from high school QB to college tight end, and was greatly underutilized in college.  There is also something to be said for the potential of the entire offensive line to improve due to continuity.  There could be a change here or there, but the personnel grouping is going to have mostly old faces.  Plus they will be in their second year with the same O'line coach, who, while he has plenty of experience as an assistant, is only in his second year in charge of the offensive line.  Continuity and cohesiveness is more important on the o=line than almost anywhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to the hybrid safety linebacker we drafted last year but never played a snap? I never hear a thing about him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything less than a Super Bowl run is disappointing. This roster is good enough to get us to the big game and we haven’t even had the draft yet. Beane and McD have done an A+++++ job in their 3 years here, they’ve completely gutted this team and rebuilt it into a powerhouse. We’re good in cap space, we added some quality free agents and there’s plenty left to sign our own. Stefon Diggs will give us a top 10 offense and we already had a top 5 D last year. We have a 2 year window to  bring home a Lombardi, after that Allen is probably getting $30M a year and keeping everything together without going into cap hell gets trickier. 
 

Anything less than a Super Bowl is disappointing. I’d put our roster up against anybody’s. Give me a star RB RD2, a #2 CB RD3 and put the rest into our OL. This is our year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will we even have a full 16 game regular season? I could see a condensed season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...