Question about Offensive Line

I share your concerns as well.  Below are my thoughts on what might be transpiring.

Important to note that the entire right side - Felciano, Ford and Nsekhe played injured for most of the season.  Ford and Feliciano were hampered by shoulder injuries and both had repairs done after season.  Nsekhe went down twice with foot/ankle injuries and missed a portion of the season.  Also Waddle missed entire year.

OBD must seem ok with tackle given inactivity to date.  If they bring Waddle back cheaply they will have 3 RT candidates with NFL starts under their belt and let them fight it out. 

Another topic to ponder.  The new CBA will allow them to dress 48 (including 8 OL) and carry 2 PS players on active roster each week - taking it to 55.  Those PS players can be moved back and forth freely - no waivers exposure.  Bates and Boettgerr are PS eligible again and they may draft a developmental  OT talent.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think we're good on the offensive line with at least average starters across the board.  RT was a weakness at times last year, but I believe Ford will step up.  We have proven depth and some young talent as well.  Overall, we don't have any dominant players, but we don't have any glaring weaknesses either.

Adding Diggs will help with the cover 0 nonsense teams were running against us in the critical 3rd and long situations.

The two remaining weaknesses now is the lack of one more quality running back and that we don't have a game wrecker rushing the passer.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we undervalue our line some. 
I think some of the breakdowns are very concerning with how fast guys broke free but I also think another year together should be a big improvement. I also put some of it on Allen not recognizing defenses and getting a hot route out, 5 can’t block 7. Things should change drastically with the addition of Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Do we need first round, second round impact on this offensive line? Josh was still running for his life way to much last year.?

Make me feel more comfy at the line positions lol

Good OLers can be found beyond rounds 1 and 2, especially if the team doesn't expect them to step right in and gives them time to get stronger and improve their techniques.  I will never say no to a stud OLer in the first or second, but I really think that the Bills should go BPA in rounds 2-5.   Lots of outstanding OLers come from late in the draft/UDFA.

13 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I have no doubt more will come in FA and the draft. Keep in mind, however, that this will be year two for these guys and they are just beginning to gel. 

That’s my opinion too.  And, hopefully the oline takes the next step to help Josh take the next step.  I think they will.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh.

RT is a glaring weakness. Bills would be best served signing a decent RT, moving Ford inside and having Feliciano be your interior depth guy off the bench at all 3 positions. 

I'm for looking at opportunities for a RT signing but them I'm playing Feliciano inside and Ford to backup.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:02 PM, freddyjj said:

I share your concerns as well.  Below are my thoughts on what might be transpiring.

Important to note that the entire right side - Felciano, Ford and Nsekhe played injured for most of the season.  Ford and Feliciano were hampered by shoulder injuries and both had repairs done after season.  Nsekhe went down twice with foot/ankle injuries and missed a portion of the season.  Also Waddle missed entire year.

OBD must seem ok with tackle given inactivity to date.  If they bring Waddle back cheaply they will have 3 RT candidates with NFL starts under their belt and let them fight it out. 

Another topic to ponder.  The new CBA will allow them to dress 48 (including 8 OL) and carry 2 PS players on active roster each week - taking it to 55.  Those PS players can be moved back and forth freely - no waivers exposure.  Bates and Boettgerr are PS eligible again and they may draft a developmental  OT talent.

Very good analysis, Freddy. Thanks. You make a great point about Bates and Boettger. Yeah, this new PS option will be strategically interesting. I think we all forget about Bates. He showed a bunch of potential last year in the preseason. I wonder if the Bills think he is a long term solution somewhere on the online???

Overall, our oline is solid, very solid. And I want to think a second year of familiarity and work together will only help them get better.

Having said that, if there is a financially sensible (draft, or FA bargain) upgrade that becomes available, Beane has long sense proved he'll do it---so it would not surprise me if he did something. And I do think there will be someone drafted, its just a matter of where.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1