Would Cam Newton be a good backup to Josh?

27 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Mitch Goldich of SI had this to say about Newton:

So if he’s not walking into an open starting job, here’s my total darkhorse candidate that should consider him: The Buffalo Bills.

The Bills are a playoff team. They have a great defense. They came into this offseason with a ton of cap room, and still have the 10th-most available. They just brought in a legitimate No. 1 wide receiver. They also may smell a particularly ripe time to go all-in chasing their first AFC East title since 1995, with the Dolphins still building up, the Jets being eternally unreliable and the Patriots finally turning the page on the Tom Brady era.

I know Josh Allen has a lot of supporters insisting he got better throughout last season, and that he has a chance to take another step forward this year. I also know how the nation felt during his most recent game, watching him struggle his way through the second half and overtime of a 16-point blown lead against the Texans.

The Bills might come to the conclusion that Josh Allen is good enough. They could also easily be one year away from the situation Chicago found itself in with Mitchell Trubisky this offseason—suddenly very aware their quarterback simply isn’t the guy, in danger of letting the window close on an otherwise good team. Buffalo would be better served taking a chance on an undervalued player one year early instead of overpaying for a solution one year too late. If Newton is healthy, he could be an immediate upgrade over Allen and make Buffalo a real contender in the AFC. If he’s not healthy, Buffalo would still have the quarterback that led the team to a wild-card berth last year.

Bills head coach Sean McDermott was the defensive coordinator in Carolina for six years, including Cam’s MVP/Super Bowl campaign. Of course, that’s not the same as Philip Rivers walking into his old offensive coordinator Frank Reich’s system in Indy. But they are at least familiar with each other. McDermott is uniquely qualified to know whether or not Newton would be a good fit for that team, outside the X’s and O’s of the scheme. If Newton is going to be available for below-market value, somebody should pounce. Why not Buffalo?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/22/offseason-story-lines-tom-brady-cam-newton-coronavirus

At this point in Cam Newton's career, how exactly is he an immediate upgrade?

On 3/18/2020 at 3:38 AM, MJS said:

Newton has had plenty of teammates and former teammates say bad things about him.

Did you not see how he conducted himself last season during joint practices with the Bills? Dude stands on the sidelines and chirps and chirps and chirps nonstop, talking trash to anyone who will give him a glance. He's so full of himself it's stupid. Wouldn't want him on my team in his prime.

I’d be tempted just to see what Oliver does in camp. ?‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/18/2020 at 4:45 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

What are you trying to say? Cam has taken a beating that no other QB would have. Some of it is his fault but there is a bias against him. I don’t even think it is intentional. I liken it to Shaquille O’Neil. They are both so physically dominating it is difficult to officiate fouls against them as they so often are the initiators of the contact. Cam has been a warrior. 

when the balls on the floor - get it.

Hi:  I took all kinds of heat when I started this thread.  Well..... I just read on CBS Sportsline that the Bills are the 2nd  most likely landing place for cam Newton. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cam-newton-released-four-most-logical-landing-spots-for-longtime-panthers-quarterback/

It makes sense on many levels.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

In one word..... No

A more detailed version of NO begins with he is a starting caliber QB the second point being a salary between 15-25m for your BU QB is ridiculous.

Not to mention all the fans that would immediately  be calling for Cam to start or the bunch on the fence that would throw Josh under the bus as soon as he hit a rough patch.

As I said before the fans wanted HOF #12 benched for Frank back in the day....I was not one of them.

The Bills have a legitimate #1 QB and a guy to lead this team for another 10 or so years you don't over turn the apple cart.

That type of move fits the preceding 20 or so years of the big signing to sell tickets and poor on field performance.

They sell tickets by good decision making and winning now :)

On 3/18/2020 at 3:55 AM, Doc Brown said:

Whenever I think of Newton this play comes to mind.  Not a fan and I wouldn't mind him going to the Patriots.

source.gif

We have seen what Josh does in that situation....dives in head first :)

4 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Hi:  I took all kinds of heat when I started this thread.  Well..... I just read on CBS Sportsline that the Bills are the 2nd  most likely landing place for cam Newton. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cam-newton-released-four-most-logical-landing-spots-for-longtime-panthers-quarterback/

It really only makes sense to a writer with space to fill.  To summarize why a bad idea:

1.  Will want to be a starter

2.  Will want more $ than a normal backup

3.  His ego is not suited to a backup

4.  Does not seem like the mentor type

5.  Injury status unknown

So while I think he is better than Barkley as a QB, he would not be a better backup QB.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

It would make sense only from a skill set stand point- right now Can is a lesser version of JA. I understand he was MVP only 4 years ago but that was a long time ago in regards to the hits he has taken. Cam will end up in a situation where he feels he can start and Buffalo is not one of them.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

It would make sense only from a skill set stand point- right now Can is a lesser version of JA. I understand he was MVP only 4 years ago but that was a long time ago in regards to the hits he has taken. Cam will end up in a situation where he feels he can start and Buffalo is not one of them.

Isn't that the definition of a backup QB.  I don't see many starting opportunities for Cam.  The important question is:  is Cam an upgrade to our current back up?  I believe that he would be yes.

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Isn't that the definition of a backup QB.  I don't see many starting opportunities for Cam.  The important question is:  is Cam an upgrade to our current back up?  I believe that he would be.

In theory it would make sense because they have similar skill sets.  However, do you think Cam would just accept that role honestly?  You don't see a distraction, overshadowing, and the moment Allen has a sub-par game or even practice, then here comes all the controversy.  And then when Newton has a subpart game or practice, put the kid back in.   That's a mess Beane and McDermott do not want or need.  

Edited by Lieutenant Aldo Raine

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

In theory it would make sense because they have similar skill sets.  However, do you think Cam would just accept that role honestly?  You don't see a distraction, overshadowing, and the moment Allen has a sub-par game or even practice, then here comes all the controversy.  And then when Newton has a subpart game or practice, put the kid back in.   That's a mess Beane and McDermott do not want or need.  

I can't say how Cam will handle the downside of his career.  The fact that he has a history with Beane  and to a lesser extent McDermott,   this may be a good situation for him.

3 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

We have seen what Josh does in that situation....dives in head first :)

But is that smart?  I mean I love that attitude but if your qb gets a concussion there, will fans be applauding his bravery?  Watch what Brady does on INTs.  He runs out of the way.  Looks very soft but what if Brady gets hurt on a crack back block and is knocked out?

part of the reason Newton has had so many injuries is because he tries to win on every play.  Again, you love the attitude until he gets hurt.  Allen should develop a similar mindset. You don’t last as a starting qb being a hero on every play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I can't say how Cam will handle the downside of his career.  The fact that he has a history with Beane  and to a lesser extent McDermott,   this may be a good situation for him.

And that's why it's not worth bringing him in in my opinion, because I'm sure he feels he can still play at a high level.