Conklin to Browns 3ys $42m

16 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Where, exactly, are the Browns getting all this money to bring in Beckham and Landry, then add Hooper and Conklin this year?  

They have to be up against the cap at this point, no?

Only in BUF does the cap seem to be an obstacle. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Where, exactly, are the Browns getting all this money to bring in Beckham and Landry, then add Hooper and Conklin this year?  

They rolled over a lot of cap space over a lot of years. The Giants also paid out OBJ's bonus which helped. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Beane said he didn’t plan on going big game hunting. So I’m not really expecting them to throw around big money. I’m expecting more mid tier and depth signings.

or maybe a surprise trade. 

I obviously want to see Bills signings like everyone else, but I doubt they are going to burn though all the cap space they just went though all that pain (in 2018) to acquire. 

I expect the big money to go to Tre and other players the Bills drafted. (though I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go after Clowney with the past rumored interest).

There is no award for creating cap space...got to do something with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Browns have some real talent, not just named.  They still have big holes at LB (2), S (2) and LT.  They also need a quality nickel CB and depth along the DL.  That seems very possible at this point.  It’s no guarantee of success of course.  Coaching has to be good, players have to buy in and mesh, etc.  There is real potential there though. 

I think they will be decent this year. I never really bought in last year largely because of Kitchens. If there are 7 spots I think the Browns take one of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not tied up with a big QB contract like us.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they will be decent this year. I never really bought in last year largely because of Kitchens. If there are 7 spots I think the Browns take one of them. 

If you mean playoff spots, I agree.

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Rookie deal qb

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

It’s far more often than not a poor idea to get caught up in free agent frenzy. The overbidding causes poor contracts. For every free agency signing that works out, a disproportionate amount do not. 

That’s fair.  But people here lauded the Bills moves last season - and still do.  They made Morse the highest paid center in the league.  While he is definitely an above average center, he is not the best.  Conklin is set to be the third highest paid RT and he’s above average but not third best.  Those moves feel an awful lot alike.

At TE the Bills signed Kroft to a 3 year, $21M deal (admittedly far less lauded).  Hooper is getting a 4 year, $44M deal from the Browns this season. I’d much rather have Hooper for $11M/yr than Kroft for $7M/yr.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah. The talent is there.  The coaching looks a lot, lot, lot better.  It’s tough to be optimistic with the Browns, but the table seems set for them. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s fair.  But people here lauded the Bills moves last season - and still do.  They made Morse the highest paid center in the league.  While he is definitely an above average center, he is not the best.  Conklin is set to be the third highest paid RT and he’s above average but not third best.  Those moves feel an awful lot alike.

At TE the Bills signed Kroft to a 3 year, $21M deal (admittedly far less lauded).  Hooper is getting a 4 year, $44M deal from the Browns this season. I’d much rather have Hooper for $11M/yr than Kroft for $7M/yr.

Yeah. The talent is there.  The coaching looks a lot, lot, lot better.  It’s tough to be optimistic with the Browns, but the table seems set for them. 

I think Conklin is pretty close to the best RT.... what they paying him as... third best? Ramzcyk at the Saints, Collins with the Cowboys... after that I am struggling to come up with others I'd take over Conklin. 

11 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Kroft and Smith essentially = Hooper

Nsekhe and Long + a few M = Conklin

Hopkins = $12.5M in cap space

Sorry but we could have done all of this and still had a ton of cap space. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Conklin is pretty close to the best RT.... what they paying him as... third best? Ramzcyk at the Saints, Collins with the Cowboys... after that I am struggling to come up with others I'd take over Conklin. 

That’s actually a good point.  Mike McGlinchey in SF and probably Schwartz with the Falcons.  I’m blanking on a fifth though. 

Just now, ngbills said:

I think you missed my point.

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Your math is a bit off. Kroft makes 4 million, Smith 2.5ish that's well short of Hooper's contract. Ty and Long falls way short of Conklin too. I also wouldn't go out calling McBeane cheap and a moron just yet. Plenty of good quality players and "Big Names" left out on the market.