Bills G.M. thinking about when to extend Tre’Davious White

15 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

It's smart to extend Tre now, but I don't think he should be the highest paid CB in the league.  He's good, but not quite "shut down" good.

he definitely struggled in the 2nd half of the WCG against the Texans, but other than that, he’a been about as shutdown as you can get.

14 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

CBA. 

Everyone is waiting for this to either go through or not go through. Teams, players & their agents are all waiting to see the ramifications.

Why sign now under this CBA, if under a new CBA White could get not money long term? 

I think this is THE reason there’s been so few (if any? I can’t think of one) contract extension signed really since the end of the regular season.

CBA is the reason.  The 30% rule would prevent this now.  As soon as the CBA goes through I’d expect it to be done.  I’d keep it simple and do a 5 year extension with his big signing bonus now and this year’s salary unchanged.  It would effectively be the deal he’d be getting now if he was going into his option year added to his current contract.  He’d get his big payday a year early along with some additional guarantees.  The Bills would get 2020 rates for a 2021 contract as well as a presumably less contentious negotiation.  Either way he’d be signed through 2025.  Win-win. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Please tell me we're not using Madden to rate players....

Are their analytics, comprehensive metrics and assessment tools better than yours?  Maybe, maybe not

Do they agree with your assement on Tre....  NOPE

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Agree, Tre Pay Day will soon be here.  Tre may not have allowed a single passing TD, but he got burnt enough that allowed the opposition to get into scoring range; DeAndre Hopkins ran his mouth about it after the Wildcard loss.  Maybe it's that I'm of the mindset that it makes more sense to pay your lines big money rather than your backfield.

He wasn’t running his mouth in the first half when he was shut down and stripped for a fumble. The catches he made in H2 were contested and mostly very difficult. It was actually one of the best in game battles I’ve enjoyed in a long time. 

elite vs elite. 

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

There is a lot of group think that goes on around here.

this is a fact. It’s almost bad as the contrarians that Dig their heels in and refuse to relent on a poorly supported position 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

9 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

That was an important game, you just can't get beat like there.  And it wasn't just one game, he got burnt in other regular season games.

How about Devante Parker taking Stephon Gilmore's lunch money in a week 17 game that cost ne a first round bye?

Does he suck too?

23 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

we’re not talking about happy Gilmore are we???

He got burned a bunch of times too ya know

Yeah, Stephon Gilmore got burned a bunch.  IMO, it doesn't make sense to pay DB's as much as they are.  You can't play the position like it should be played since the WR always gets the benefit of the doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2020 at 9:35 AM, SlimShady'sGhost said:

as one would expect 

he was the 2nd best behind Gilmore. 

He is , as mentioned above , the One player that is easy to agree on as a Keeper.
and he will get paid.
really no one here should complain when the see the #s. 27 is the perfect fit as Buffalo Bill for life.

or as long as the next contract lol

Love Tre White .

On 3/6/2020 at 10:43 AM, BillsVet said:

Buffalo hasn't been faced with re-signing a 1st Team All-Pro in a long time. 

And this is probably the first time that they've replaced a top CB (Gilmore) with another outstanding one. 

I'm interested to see how these negotiations progress given that they haven't had to re-sign one of their own yet.  OBD has some big decisions coming up.

seriously. This is a definitive event for Bills and Bills fans.
How do they treat this moment.
We all still have Ralph is cheap running through our collective veins i think

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/6/2020 at 11:52 AM, Happy Gilmore said:

That was an important game, you just can't get beat like there.  And it wasn't just one game, he got burnt in other regular season games.

Using Hopkins as the example is setting the bar about as high as it gets.
Tre is still  trending up. has not hit his ceiling in my humble opinion.  Worthwhile investment for the Bills i say.

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Using Hopkins as the example is setting the bar about as high as it gets.
Tre is still  trending up. has not hit his ceiling in my humble opinion.  Worthwhile investment for the Bills i say.

If Tre belongs in the discussion of elite CB, you absolutely have to refer back to the wildcard game and performance vs Hopkins.  Otherwise, the bar is set low.

Bolded part is a good point.  Not sure he's worth elite money...at least not right now.

On 3/7/2020 at 10:20 AM, Happy Gilmore said:

Yeah, Stephon Gilmore got burned a bunch.  IMO, it doesn't make sense to pay DB's as much as they are.  You can't play the position like it should be played since the WR always gets the benefit of the doubt.

That is true to an extent.  OPI calls have been on the rise though 

On 3/6/2020 at 11:52 AM, Happy Gilmore said:

Um, what?

Tre can’t get beat by the best WR in football? Not even once?

Any point in mentioning that Tre also shut him down completely in the first half, and opened the 2nd half by forcing a Hopkins fumble that set up the FG to give the team a 16-0 lead?

C’mon man; you’re better than that.

• Like (+1) 1

I really hope he’s gonna stay a Bills for a while !

But when i saw his IG something came in my head, I know it’s his IG he post what he wants clearly, but he didn’t have any pictures with his Bills gear on, looked weird to me.

I just hope that he likes being here in Buffalo, did he answered that question in a interview since he’s here ?

Once again i know it could mean nothing and it’s his social media he clearly does what he want, but it made me question myself about his « attachment » to the team, and i thought it would be nice to know what you guys think about this, and if you have some informations about his feeling about being in Buffalo. ;) 

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Um, what?

Tre can’t get beat by the best WR in football? Not even once?

Any point in mentioning that Tre also shut him down completely in the first half, and opened the 2nd half by forcing a Hopkins fumble that set up the FG to give the team a 16-0 lead?

C’mon man; you’re better than that.

Maybe I'm not giving Tre enough credit for the strip and fumble; the tacking/physicality part of his game is worth noting.

However, he gets beat bad more than a "shutdown" corner should, both during the regular season and the playoff game.  There was a stretch during the regular season where Levi Wallace was the better CB and Tre really seemed to be struggling.  In the playoff game, it's DeAndre Hopkins so let's set the bar low for a CB?  Um, no, how about not.  The play Tre got absolutely toasted on set up the Texans for a TD.  I don't remember if it was their first TD or a go ahead TD; when you're up by 16, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  So let's not pretend that Tre only got beat once, because that is not true.

IMO, it is not worth breaking the bank on a CB, games are won and lost in the lines, which is where most of the resources should be allocated.  It doesn't make sense to pay a CB top money, at least not now since you can't play the position anymore...at least like you could even 10 years ago.  

That's my honest thoughts...too bad if it doesn't conform to TBD group think or if it disappoints you.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Maybe I'm not giving Tre enough credit for the strip and fumble; the tacking/physicality part of his game is worth noting.

However, he gets beat bad more than a "shutdown" corner should, both during the regular season and the playoff game.  There was a stretch during the regular season where Levi Wallace was the better CB and Tre really seemed to be struggling.  In the playoff game, it's DeAndre Hopkins so let's set the bar low for a CB?  Um, no, how about not.  The play Tre got absolutely toasted on set up the Texans for a TD.  I don't remember if it was their first TD or a go ahead TD; when you're up by 16, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  So let's not pretend that Tre only got beat once, because that is not true.

IMO, it is not worth breaking the bank on a CB, games are won and lost in the lines, which is where most of the resources should be allocated.  It doesn't make sense to pay a CB top money, at least not now since you can't play the position anymore...at least like you could even 10 years ago.  

That's my honest thoughts...too bad if it doesn't conform to TBD group think or if it disappoints you.

I couldn’t care less about conformity with groupthink; conformity with reality, however, is another matter.

For the season, Tre allowed 45 completions on 90 targets with 6 INTs and zero TDs for a passer rating of 45.0. 

The only other corner that came even close to that type of performance was Gilmore. 

The idea that any other CB in the game was better for any stretch of time is borderline ludicrous. The idea that Wallace was better is practically insane.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/defense_advanced.htm

• Thank you (+1) 1

Are we getting to the point where we stop liking our elite players because they are about to be paid like elite players? Why do we do that? No other fan bases do that (at least that I know of). Tre White is one of the best couple of CBs in the league. At some point he’s going to be given the richest contract a CB has ever received. That’s a day that we should be celebrating not a day that we should dread.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Are we getting to the point where we stop liking our elite players because they are about to be paid like elite players? Why do we do that? No other fan bases do that (at least that I know of). Tre White is one of the best couple of CBs in the league. At some point he’s going to be given the richest contract a CB has ever received. That’s a day that we should be celebrating not a day that we should dread.

Eagles fans aren’t happy with that Wentz contract and they won a Super Bowl with the guy playing most of the year.

Fans can be idiots.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve never understood why a relatively high percentage of Buffalo fans would rather have a team full of John DiGiorgio’s or Vaclav Varada’s than elite talents.

Maybe it’s some kind of blue collar thing...I don’t know...but count me in as wanting to be the team that pays the super talented guys premium money.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 3