Obituaries

Foxx

3 minutes ago, B-Man said:

AP19195179238180.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

12 hours ago - Bob Gibson, a Hall of Fame pitcher who played his entire career with the St. Louis Cardinals died Friday. He was 84. Gibson died after a battle with pancreatic ...

...Gibby was one of THE best......sadly pancreatic is usually a death knell....my late mother's cousin, her daughter AND granddaughter all died from it....kudos to Alex Trabek for continuing his fight....

• Like (+1) 1

Lou Brock and Bob Gibson back-to-back. Tough week for Cards fans.

I was too young to catch Gibby's 1968 dominance -- that 1.12 ERA is burned into my neurons as an unbreakable record. 

I did see him in his later years when the stuff wasn't there, but the intensity -- that scowl, that "I will drill you in the back if you try to lean over my plate" -- never left.

RIP, Gibby.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Lou Brock and Bob Gibson back-to-back. Tough week for Cards fans.

I was too young to catch Gibby's 1968 dominance -- that 1.12 ERA is burned into my neurons as an unbreakable record. 

I did see him in his later years when the stuff wasn't there, but the intensity -- that scowl, that "I will drill you in the back if you try to lean over my plate" -- never left.

RIP, Gibby.

Not as tough as losing a 4-0 lead in a clinching game and then losing both that game AND the elimination game.

15 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Not as tough as losing a 4-0 lead in a clinching game and then losing both that game AND the elimination game.

Yeah. That must've been rough. And after they were almost quarantined out of MLB this summer.

But I do love those Padres. They're the team I'm pulling for in these playoffs.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

"Joe Morgan, Hall of Fame Second Baseman, Is Dead at 77" (NYT).

Morgan%20Joe%201864-75_Act_NBL.jpg?itok=

Other great baseball players who have died recently: Tom Seaver, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, and Whitey Ford.

Oh man. I loved Joe Morgan. Growing up in Buffalo with no MLB team of our own, I latched onto the Reds as my team. And Joe Morgan as my favorite player.

Later on I actually loved him on Sunday Night Baseball with Jon Miller. I kind of became a stat-head baseball guy, and those types would ridicule Morgan for his unenlightened baseball wisdom. I'd hear none of it. I just plain liked him.

He was also quietly a leader on race issues. He didn't take to self-aggrandizing displays. But when he kept getting hassled at airports because he "fit the profile of a drug trafficker" he sued. And won.

RIP, Joe. That's a lot of stolen bases up there with you and Lou Brock.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

"Joe Morgan, Hall of Fame Second Baseman, Is Dead at 77" (NYT).

Morgan%20Joe%201864-75_Act_NBL.jpg?itok=

Other great baseball players who have died recently: Tom Seaver, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, and Whitey Ford.

I truly loved listening to Joe talk baseball on ESPN. The stories he would tell, in game analysis, breakdowns, I can hear his voice even as I type this. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I truly loved listening to Joe talk baseball on ESPN. The stories he would tell, in game analysis, breakdowns, I can hear his voice even as I type this. 

...RIP Joe...the memorable days of the "Big Red Machine".......

..."The starting lineup of Bench, Rose, Morgan, Pérez, Concepción, Foster, Griffey, and Gerónimo (collectively referred to as the "Great Eight") played 88 games together during the 1975 and 1976 seasons, losing only 19..."....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Oh man. I loved Joe Morgan. Growing up in Buffalo with no MLB team of our own, I latched onto the Reds as my team. And Joe Morgan as my favorite player.

Saturday afternoon baseball.  It was a choice among the NYY, Dodgers, Reds, or Red Sox. That’s Reds team was great.  I went with the Sox when I was around 7 years old. 

1 minute ago, snafu said:

Saturday afternoon baseball.  It was a choice among the NYY, Dodgers, Reds, or Red Sox. That’s Reds team was great.  I went with the Sox when I was around 7 years old. 

...and we lost another Cincy stalwart, Tom Seaver on 8/31/20 (1977-1982)........

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...RIP Joe...the memorable days of the "Big Red Machine".......

..."The starting lineup of Bench, Rose, Morgan, Pérez, Concepción, Foster, Griffey, and Gerónimo (collectively referred to as the "Great Eight") played 88 games together during the 1975 and 1976 seasons, losing only 19..."....

I didn't realize just how dominant that lineup was -- 69-19? You gotta be kidding me. That's a .784 winning percentage. 

There was no rest for the opposing pitcher 1-8 in that lineup. And everyone except Perez and Bench could run.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

FLORIDA DEMOCRATIC REP. ALCEE HASTINGS DIES AT 84.

Hastings was a 15-term congressman, civil rights lawyer and Florida’s first black federal judge, though he was ultimately impeached after ten years of service over allegations of bribery and perjury.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/florida-democratic-rep-alcee-hastings-dies-at-84/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=breaking&utm_campaign=newstrack&utm_term=23444054

RIP: Charles Coolidge, Oldest Medal of Honor Recipient, Dies at 99.

A harrowing World War II firefight in France brought him the nation’s highest decoration for valor.

A park, a highway and a museum are named in his honor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/us/charles-coolidge-oldest-medal-of-honor-recipient-dies-at-99.html?action=click&module=In Other News&pgtype=Homepage

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, B-Man said:

RIP: Charles Coolidge, Oldest Medal of Honor Recipient, Dies at 99.

A harrowing World War II firefight in France brought him the nation’s highest decoration for valor.

A park, a highway and a museum are named in his honor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/us/charles-coolidge-oldest-medal-of-honor-recipient-dies-at-99.html?action=click&module=In Other News&pgtype=Homepage

Not many of them left. I can’t imagine what they went through.  Interesting however. I asked my 95 year old mom what it was like during WWII. We look at it through the comfy lens of history. I asked was she ever afraid of an invasion. She said “no, the only thing that scared me was polio.”  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...