Anything less than winning the division next year is a failure

Tesla03

Winning the division next season has to be Goal 1. Every other team in the division has a rough schedule too. Honestly, bringing Brady back wont be a bad thing either, he will take away money from the team that other players could have been signed with. The longer Brady is in NE now, the more it will hurt them. 

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I hear you.

Id say anything less than a playoff win next year is a failure.... if they don’t win the division but make the playoffs and demonstrate their able to beat any team while winning the first round of the playoffs I wouldn’t consider it a failure.... but they should be super bowl contenders next season. I expect them to be.

I agree,  a division “championship” without a playoff win isn’t a big deal if Brady is out of the division.   

I want to see the Bills in the AFCC next year, anything less is a failure.  They obviously don't need to win the division to get there, but it helps.  Brady or no Brady, McD should be able to beat NE; none of this "if Brady is gone" nonsense.  He has started sliding off the cliff, performance-wise.  New England can be beat.

Everyone talking like the Bills should win the division and be a SB contender. Want a taste of reality? Go look at their SB odds.

If not making/winning a SB this year is the bar for McD and Beane you guys are nuts.

There is plenty of room for a successful season that doesn’t include a SB appearance. 

Their odds are 35/1, that’s behind the Falcons, Browns and Steelers. Teams that didn’t even make the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Everyone talking like the Bills should win the division and be a SB contender. Want a taste of reality? Go look at their SB odds.

If not making/winning a SB this year is the bar for McD and Beane you guys are nuts.

There is plenty of room for a successful season that doesn’t include a SB appearance. 

Their odds are 35/1, that’s behind the Falcons, Browns and Steelers. Teams that didn’t even make the playoffs. 

And Vegas odds are based on peoples betting tendencies, not actual reality. Odds are based on making money vs betting tendencies, so if Vegas thinks only 1 in 35 people will bet the Bills, then there you go.  Vegas is about making money on odds today... not tomorrow.. and not 9 months from now . The odds will change based on betting tendencies, that is all. 

Edited by thronethinker

21 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

We have no clue about how tough are schedule will be . 

KC/SF will be tough but Tenn/Pit/Sea should be tough. Oak/Ari/Den/LAC/NYJ x 2/Mia x 2/ we should be favorites. NE x2 and Rams are a mystery.  

Schedule is really a mystery compared to this year. If NE takes another step back , it can actually be a fairly easy ride to 10-12 wins and a Division title. We have no GLARING holes and will bolster the weaker positions. We're in prime position to take over the East for years to come. 

I agree with the both your point on the schedule AND with expectation that we better win the division this year. 

We need to stop treating this team like the Sabres and have higher expectations. I didn’t like that Sean went on NFL network and didn’t say a thing about challenging the Pats when asked. He just said stay humble after last year. 

We need some swagger. Don’t promise the division but starting including an expectation that we expect it to go to the wire for once. 

6 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I want to see the Bills in the AFCC next year, anything less is a failure.  They obviously don't need to win the division to get there, but it helps.  Brady or no Brady, McD should be able to beat NE; none of this "if Brady is gone" nonsense.  He has started sliding off the cliff, performance-wise.  New England can be beat.

They lost 24-12 at the end of the season (and Brady awful).  That was a great opportunity....

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They lost 24-12 at the end of the season (and Brady awful).  That was a great opportunity....

McDermott treated that game like a preseason game; rested a number of starters and played a vanilla scheme.  The very next week, a depleted Dolphin team beat the Pats in a game NE had to win to secure a first round bye.  I don't understand the rationale used by this regime sometimes.

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McDermott treated that game like a preseason game; rested a number of starters and played a vanilla scheme.  The very next week, a depleted Dolphin team beat the Pats in a game NE had to win to secure a first round bye.  I don't understand the rationale used by this regime sometimes.

Who did they rest?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201912210nwe.htm#all_vis_starters

I think all the talk of "must win the division" has some merit, but also some flaws. If the Bills are competitive next season, nobody is getting fired, so "must win" is kind of extreme.

The issue is this; it's year 4. You've got your QB going into his third full season. The division is relatively weak. Once again, it's year FOUR. I think what we're driving at is that some serious question marks will and should arise if this team doesn't once again make the playoffs AND win at least one playoff game. 

As much enthusiasm has been generated by the process, the time to start seeing big results is NOW.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Setting an expectation for success isn’t the same as saying what you expect the outcome to be. an important distinction.

in year 4 of a rebuild and more particularly year 3 with a top qb pick - if you aren’t at least a contender either the qb, GM or HC should be feeling serious heat (obviously outside of special circumstances like catastrophic injuries hitting). This should be just about the easiest year of all of their careers and if they aren’t considered a top team in the conference something went wrong with talent, coaching or qb play.

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

No more excuses for McD. He needs to get over the hump. This is the year. 

Or.......what? That sounds like an ultimatum. We have discussed the situation with the team, but I never saw it as “excuses”. More like “explanations”. 

We could win 11-12 games and still not win the division. Brady is a shadow of his former self, so I seriously doubt that happens, but I don’t see NOW as the time to draw a line in the sand. We were fortunate with injuries last year. What if we get wrecked this year? 

I’m with you that I hope for a leap forward and the division. We have a lot of unknowns going forward, but I know we’ve made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years after a LONG drought. I appreciate the coach and the regime and I will just hope for continued progress.