Howie Long, HOF worthy?

Geo in Pa

1 minute ago, 32ABBA said:

What a disingenuous answer. Tasker is a local guy, that has done some national games. His national media presence has never been even close to Longs...but you know that.

Not at all---I'm still goofing on your contention that Long got into the HOF 20 years ago for his "media presence".

Deion Sanders said they should close off the HOF for new inductees because all the best players ever are already in there.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:13 PM, Geo in Pa said:

How is Howie Long in the HOF, he averaged less than 6.5 sacks per year for his career. 

Correction: he averaged more than 7 sacks per season. They didn't start counting sacks until 1982:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howie_Long

"Long collected 91-1/2 sacks during his career (7-1/2 are not official, as sacks were not an official statistic during his rookie year)"

So 91.5 sacks over 13 seasons is about 7.04 per year.

Long was also selected to the Pro Bowl 8 times and nominated All Pro 2 times.

He dominated the 80's when I watched him. It was a different era back then than now, so his stats won't be as good.

Edited by The Fiend
  • Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

What a disingenuous answer. Tasker is a local guy, that has done some national games. His national media presence has never been even close to Long's...but you know that.

Long is the center seat on the FOX broadcast for ***** sake.

Why do you need to resort to such lame comparisons?

Blocked.

Long was a 5x All Pro, DPOY, 8x pro Bowler, and a Super Bowl Champion.

He also only played 12 years. 

4 hours ago, Geo in Pa said:

How is Howie Long in the HOF, he averaged less than 6.5 sacks per year for his career. 

I'll reiterate the point that was made to me, it's the "Hall of Fame", not the "Hall of Best". In that regard, I'd say yes, he should be in. 

53 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Long was a 5x All Pro, DPOY, 8x pro Bowler, and a Super Bowl Champion.

He also only played 12 years. 

I'm fine with this kind of argument, but comparing his media presence to Tasker is ridiculous.

I watched him play, and he was very  good. I think his celebrity helped get him into the Hall of Fame. As far as Pro Bowls and things like that, there are plenty of guys that get nominated for those things based on past seasons, once they establish a high profile. He played in LA, and was a good looking white guy. None of that worked against him.

Edited by 32ABBA

1 minute ago, 32ABBA said:

I'm fine with this kind of argument, but comparing his media presence to Tasker is ridiculous.

I watched him play, and he was very  good. I think his celebrity helped get him into the Hall of Fame. As far as Pro Bowls and things like that, there are plenty of guys that get nominated for those things based on past seasons, once they establish a high profile. He played in LA, and was a good looking white guy. That helped.

You are absolutely drowning now...

1 hour ago, 32ABBA said:

I watched him play, and he was very  good. I think his celebrity helped get him into the Hall of Fame. As far as Pro Bowls and things like that, there are plenty of guys that get nominated for those things based on past seasons, once they establish a high profile. He played in LA, and was a good looking white guy. None of that worked against him.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You are absolutely drowning now...

Well playing sexy and be being sexy while playing should definitely help your case... In 5 years they better have a bust of Kuechly's @$$ next to his front bust. It sets a very nicceeee precedent for when McCaffrey, Watts and Bosas get in:wub:

PS- Howie Long met both criterium...

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

He was double teamed his whole career otherwise he would've had double digit sacks yearly. BTW he got in before it became the popularity contest it is today. Jerry Jones is in by virtue of lobbying and the ability to write big cheques. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Second team 3x.

Not sure what the officially legacy source of "all-pro" is.  But from 1993 to 1990 there were 6 seasons some group picked him as a first or second team all-pro. 

Also, Pro Football Weekly (PFW) named Long as one of the ends on its All-time 3-4 defensive front, along with Lee Roy Selmon, Curley Culp, Lawrence Taylor, Andre Tippett, Randy Gradishar, and Harry Carson. PFW based its "Ultimate 3-4" team on the vote of over 40 former NFL players, coaches, and scouts.[7]

Of this list, all but Gradishar are in the Hall.   Howie Long has legitimate credentials to be in the HOF, based on being one of the best players at his position throughout a long NFL career.

image.png

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Dopey said:

Howie Long belongs in the Hall, no question to me. Terrell Davis, on the other hand...

Terrell Davis had 1140 rushing yards in 8 postseason games, which prorates to over 2280 rushing yards in a 16-game season (and he did it against the best competition). The postseason absolutely should factor into evaluations, and he is the greatest rusher in postseason history. He also won a SB MVP, of course.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2