LAMP Post: XFL Article

6 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've wanted to be a sport reporter for as long as I can remember. Probably sometime back in middle school.

You can only remember back to middle school?  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

I don't like the double forward pass rule and I think the play clock is way TOO extreme, anyway, I hope the League will succeed.

I watched a lot of games of the Alliance and I was very disappointed when it failed.;;

Double forward pass doesn't bother me since it has to be behind the LOS.

18 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've wanted to be a sport reporter for as long as I can remember. Probably sometime back in middle school. Went to ECC for Communication Arts, and aced all of my courses that involved reporting, media, etc. Unfortunately, I was lazy, and didn't put any effort into the basic courses and flunked out.

I finally found a foot in the door with an XFL fan page looking for writers. Small unpaid gig, but grateful for the opportunity and the foot in the door to build a porfolio. All my friends and family are kissing my ass telling me how great it is. But they're supposed to say that to encourage me. So I'm coming to the most brutally honest group of people I know to get some real insight on it to help me improve. 

https://xflboard.com/news/2020/01/28/five-good-reasons-xfl-2020-will-be-successful/

Good read.  I am on board with what you are saying I think it does have a chance at being successful to keep coming back.  Has a much better shot than the AAF did and games haven't even been played yet, and that is because of the solid financial backing and Every game on National TV.  

I rally wish they would have put teams in Non NFL Markets though, but maybe Vince's research shows they need to be in NFL Markets as well.  

1 hour ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

I don't like the double forward pass rule and I think the play clock is way TOO extreme, anyway, I hope the League will succeed.

I watched a lot of games of the Alliance and I was very disappointed when it failed.;;

I personally wonder how much this will really be used. I'm reserving my judgement on the rule until I see how it's executed. The playclock is the one rule I don't like. Speaking from a fan's perspective, I love going to sporting events, and I'm never in a rush to get out of there. But I get WHY they're doing it. Quicker game play for the TV audience with a short attention span.

I enjoyed the AAF as well. The on field product was good for the most part. I liked the recruiting structure where each team had a territory of specific college and NFL teams, and you had first dibs on players who most recently played for those teams. I'm a big Houston Cougar fan, so I enjoyed watching the San Antonio Commanders because they had 3-4 Cougars on the team. The problem with the AAF is they didn't have the funding, and were doomed from the get go. The concept was fantastic, if they had the funding.

Vince McMahon has funding. He's sold a big enough share in WWE to fund the league for three years, which hopefully gives it enough time to gain steam. Just hope he learned from Donald Trump and the USFL, and doesn't try to become a direct competitor with the NFL. At least not any time soon. 

On 1/29/2020 at 5:35 PM, Mr. WEO said:

I don't think it was the cheerleaders, gimmicks or ticket prices that doomed XFL 1.0........

The cheerleaders and the gimmicks (along with the general marketing of the league) contributed to a bad image that turned off the general public from the product. As they righted the rules of the game as the season went on the league had already had a toxic image that turned off anyone that would have been willing to give it a second chance. But I do agree that the quality of the football was the major factor of what held the league back. 

Edited by billsfan89

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The cheerleaders and the gimmicks (along with the general marketing of the league) contributed to a bad image that turned off the general public from the product. As they righted the rules of the game as the season went on the league had already had a toxic image that turned off anyone that would have been willing to give it a second chance. But I do agree that the quality of the football was the major factor of what held the league back. 

No one cares about non-NFL pro football in this country.  This has been proven over and over....

Edited by Mr. WEO

14 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I personally wonder how much this will really be used. I'm reserving my judgement on the rule until I see how it's executed. The playclock is the one rule I don't like. Speaking from a fan's perspective, I love going to sporting events, and I'm never in a rush to get out of there. But I get WHY they're doing it. Quicker game play for the TV audience with a short attention span.

I enjoyed the AAF as well. The on field product was good for the most part. I liked the recruiting structure where each team had a territory of specific college and NFL teams, and you had first dibs on players who most recently played for those teams. I'm a big Houston Cougar fan, so I enjoyed watching the San Antonio Commanders because they had 3-4 Cougars on the team. The problem with the AAF is they didn't have the funding, and were doomed from the get go. The concept was fantastic, if they had the funding.

Vince McMahon has funding. He's sold a big enough share in WWE to fund the league for three years, which hopefully gives it enough time to gain steam. Just hope he learned from Donald Trump and the USFL, and doesn't try to become a direct competitor with the NFL. At least not any time soon. 

I also don't know how much double forward pass will be used, in any way, it is something that favors the offense, defense will have one more thing to be prepared to.

In the last years a lot of rules favored the offense so we live in a time in which defending is more and more difficult.

Another rule that I don't like, for the same reason, is the one foot in bound for completed passes, it also put out from the game the toe dragging which is a receiver craft.

I will be happy to see rules that can balance the things out, for example in my opinion the DB should be allowed to make contact with the WR on the top the route (without holding of course), while the WR should be banned from pushing off in this scenario.

For the playclock I fear that the 25 seconds playclock will put out a lot of strategy from the game, same for the rules that don't stop the game clock in case of incomplete passes.

I think that the Alliance changed the clock from 40 to 35, this was enough in my opinion.

One of the biggest things the XFL is highlighting, which wasn't mentioned, is the kick return game with some emphasis on safety. They want the returns, but not the players crashing into each other at high speeds like what the NFL is trying to eliminate. Teams are penalized (not an actual penalty) for touchbacks. If the kicking team kicks the ball in the endzone, the receiving team gets the ball on the 35. Alternatively, if the kick lands in the field of play and the receiving team lets it bounce in the endzone, they get the ball at the 15. 

These rules are going to make for some interesting kick placement attempts. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/30/2020 at 10:12 AM, JerseyBills said:

Pretty good . I'm actually going to the NY (NJ) opening game in 2 weeks at MetLife.

My buddy won 4 Tix with field access . Pretty interested in seeing the product

Yeah. I have season tickets for the Roughnecks. Season ticket holders get one game a year with a field pass. Pretty excited for that. 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:11 AM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Big shots like him use a screen name. It's really Driscollski

If my last name was Driscollski, do you think I’d be able to count to five, let alone write an article elaborating on five different points?

• Haha (+1) 1

Did not read the posts in thread but not sure what your pen name is supposed to mean.

I do not see how Driscoll known for their strawberries are supposed to be related to NFL.

Five good things about article:

1. Spelling counts.  Some professional writers cannot use spell check.
  2. Good points on differences between NFL and XFL II.
  3. Counting down. Counting up is boring.
  4. Mostly sticking with facts; many reports are just opinion pieces.
  5. No citing of anonymous expert sources or use of hyperbole.
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/1/2020 at 6:05 PM, Limeaid said:

Did not read the posts in thread but not sure what your pen name is supposed to mean.

I do not see how Driscoll known for their strawberries are supposed to be related to NFL.

Five good things about article:

1. Spelling counts.  Some professional writers cannot use spell check.
  2. Good points on differences between NFL and XFL II.
  3. Counting down. Counting up is boring.
  4. Mostly sticking with facts; many reports are just opinion pieces.
  5. No citing of anonymous expert sources or use of hyperbole.

This is the best criticism I've gotten. Thank you. When people just keep telling you that you did good, with not one bad thing, or one thing pointed out about what makes it good, you start to feel patronized. Lol. Thanks.

And Driscoll is my actual last name if you didn't pick up on the sarcasm. Lol. 

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://wrestletalk.com/news/vince-mcmahon-to-likely-lose-375-million-with-xfl/

Looks like Vince McMahon is ready to lose a fortune on the XFL.

I was going to start a new XFL season thread but maybe we can just keep this one going?

Businesses, especially Sports and Entertainment businesses, are meant to be big short term loss, for a slow and steady long term gain. All the teams are league owned right now. If this league takes off the ground, I'm sure he sells the teams to individual buyers/ownership groups/etc. 

I can make DFS XFL lineups on Fan Duel.  I could not do that with the AAF...  Meaning more peoples eyes are going to be on the league with money being wagered 

On 2/5/2020 at 8:21 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

https://wrestletalk.com/news/vince-mcmahon-to-likely-lose-375-million-with-xfl/

Looks like Vince McMahon is ready to lose a fortune on the XFL.

I was going to start a new XFL season thread but maybe we can just keep this one going?

Takes money to make money.  Good thing this league does have McMahon and his empire behind it with their $$$$

Edited by MAJBobby