Star Gazing (after hours) in a New York State Park requires a permit

Beast

At first, I tried to make sense of it as just an, "after sunset parking permit," which it's framed as on the NYS Govt site.  But it also explicitly specifies, "for stargazing only."

I'm seriously at a loss for words.

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

What a dumb write up. The Gateway Pundit? Jesus. Don't you have a screwdriver you can jam in your ear?

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-gateway-pundit/

That was my first thought, too, so I verified.

It's real … https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=2ahUKEwj-stL43KnnAhVoh-AKHY5-B3sQFjAEegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fparks.ny.gov%2Fregions%2Fattachments%2F2020DashboardPermitGuide.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0CT6gjVW1Ik9S9JVPqGK28

Found here … http://search.its.ny.gov/search/search.html?q=stargazing&site=default_collection

Edited by Gugny

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The commentary though, is crap and that is the best you can say about it.

It's an after-hours permit, most likely to be used to escape light pollution in densely populated areas. It basically just means, "I'm here to use the the park, when it is closed to general use, for the purposes of stargazing. A park ranger would naturally approach anyone present in a closed park, if they weren't aware that they had a legitimate use of the park at that time of day.

• Like (+1) 4

I have mixed feelings on this.  

It makes sense to have isolated places for stargazing, but they should probably be patrolled.  Isolated places provide opportunities for prostitution, robbery, etc.  Somebody has to pay to have the area patrolled.  

When the permit says for stargazing only, they are implying no parties, swimming, cooking, etc.  

The price seems steep to me, but I’m cheap and out of touch about such things. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

What’s really annoying is they have three different lines to buy your stargazing permit, your diving in the water permit and your breathing of the air permit. 

It’s a park. I get if they want to regulate things in some way in terms of hours and activities, but they already have a reputation for taxes and fees. There’s probably a better way to present this.  Call it an after hours/evening ticket with restricted activities, or something. The diving in the water permit is probably restricted to certain areas and pays for a lifeguard. Call it a ticket to the beach area. Calling it a “permit”, they left themselves open to exactly this

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SDS said:

It's an after-hours permit, most likely to be used to escape light pollution in densely populated areas. It basically just means, "I'm here to use the the park, when it is closed to general use, for the purposes of stargazing. A park ranger would naturally approach anyone present in a closed park, if they weren't aware that they had a legitimate use of the park at that time of day.

How many New York State Parks are in densely populated areas?

Here in Broome County we have one and it is very rural. People camp there.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

3 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

How many New York State Parks are in densely populated areas?

Here in Broome County we have one and it is very rural.

You will have to ask the permit buyers why they want to be in the park. I offered a common explanation for why someone would seek a non-residential area to look at the sky.

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

You will have to ask the permit buyers why they want to be in the park. I offered a common explanation for why someone would seek a non-residential area to look at the sky.

The point of all this still stands. It’s ridiculous but so New York State.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The point of all this still stands. It’s ridiculous but so New York State.

It's not, but then again you feel comfortable using the Gateway Pundit as a source so there's that frame of reference to consider.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

It's not, but then again you feel comfortable using the Gateway Pundit as a source so there's that frame of reference to consider.

Yeah, it is. And thanks for your permission. Appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Yeah, it is. And thanks for your permission. Appreciated.

The other option is to keep it closed to everyone and not offer any after-hours activities. Then no one pays a permit fee. ?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I just think it would have made better sense to call it an after hours parking permit, then have clearly stated rules (NOT to dos), rather than specifying that it's for star gazing.

But, then again, I can see how specifying that it's for star gazing would, by definition, prohibit anything other than star gazing if that's their goal.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I just think it would have made better sense to call it an after hours parking permit, then have clearly stated rules (NOT to dos), rather than specifying that it's for star gazing.

But, then again, I can see how specifying that it's for star gazing would, by definition, prohibit anything other than star gazing if that's their goal.

of course it does. But the dumb title gets more clicks

1 hour ago, SDS said:

What a dumb write up. The Gateway Pundit? Jesus. Don't you have a screwdriver you can jam in your ear?

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-gateway-pundit/

It's funny that you used a biased hack website to call out a biased hack website.

For clarification, I agree that the Gateway Pundit article was slanted garbage.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SDS said:

The other option is to keep it closed to everyone and not offer any after-hours activities. Then no one pays a permit fee. ?

I think the point is just that (at least on Long island) - the beach parking lots were closed to everyone for all after-hours activities. 

I know there are beaches out by Montauk where the after hours scene is bonfires and drinking. Saw it once years ago when I was out there with my toddlers. Looked like a great time. But not something the state parks would want any part of.

My guess is there was a  "star-gazer" contingent who were either getting around parking lot barriers or parking on the feeder roads but ultimately causing no issues. Monetizing this access to either get some revenue or fund parking attendants and/or security wouldn't bother me if that's what's going on.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

At first, I tried to make sense of it as just an, "after sunset parking permit," which it's framed as on the NYS Govt site.  But it also explicitly specifies, "for stargazing only."

I'm seriously at a loss for words.

I think the point is you can park for the purposes of stargazing only

If they find you nestled up for the night in a tent, or drinking, or smoking, or necking, (or drinking smoking and necking) instead of looking up at the sky they can kick your ass out.

Aren't those parks normally closed to everyone after dark at times of the year when camping isn't available?  So it's not as though they let everyone and his cousin Murgatroyd park and walk around, but throw out anyone caught looking at the sky.  They keep everyone out, but say they'll make an exception if you want to go stargazing.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If they find you nestled up for the night in a tent, or drinking, or smoking, or necking, (or drinking smoking and necking) instead of looking up at the sky they can kick your ass out.

Aren't those parks normally closed to everyone after dark at times of the year when camping isn't available?  So it's not as though they let everyone and his cousin Murgatroyd park and walk around, but throw out anyone caught looking at the sky.  They keep everyone out, but say they'll make an exception if you want to go stargazing.

Too funny!

Thank God there are so many sensible people hear to drop the hammer on misleading "I hate NYS threads."

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Too funny!

Thank God there are so many sensible people hear to drop the hammer on misleading "I hate NYS threads."

It's still too much money and NY sucks for a lot of reasons.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So it's not as though they let everyone and his cousin Murgatroyd park and walk around, but throw out anyone caught looking at the sky.  They keep everyone out, but say they'll make an exception if you want to go stargazing.

Heavens to Murgatroyd.

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A lot of parks close at Dusk to 10 PM. 

Places with camping has to be open 24 / 7 

Many years back they banned drinking at local parks in Rochester unless you were having a picnic.

Solution.   Set a propane grill on the table with a package of hot dogs and buns. (never mind that they are weeks old and stale)