Goodell comments on Bills stadium issues at Super Bowl media day

YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

See - the NFL looks like the bad guy - the Pegula’s respond and look reasonable, but both Goodell and the NFL knew this was done and they know what plan the Pegula’s want.  Now the pressure moves to the financing and how much public money can they get.

This is just the NFL doing its job - pushing for as much money as possible.

17 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I love how Goodell talks about how the State and Local Governments have to spend taxpayer dollars to prop up a franchise in his corporation.

Especially when cost benefit analyses have demonstrated time and again that building new stadiums does little if anything for the local and state economy.

The sad thing about Goodell is that, like his predecessors he'll be in the HOF.  He's a weak man who masquerades around as the leader of a sports league that could have grown without him.

The very definition of “empty suit.”

Why is this topic shocking to anyone? The Bills bought no more than a few years with the most recent minor surgery on the stadium. Those years are pretty much already up! It’ll take yet another three to five years to complete either major surgery or build a totally new facility....maybe longer if land needs to be cobbled together. The clock isn’t just ticking. It’s beating like a loud drum! 

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

See - the NFL looks like the bad guy - the Pegula’s respond and look reasonable, but both Goodell and the NFL knew this was done and they know what plan the Pegula’s want.  Now the pressure moves to the financing and how much public money can they get.

it's Goodell playing CYA politics with Jerrah and the other moneybags owners

30 minutes ago, GG said:

After 9 pages of discussion of a 2nd hand source, let's put Roger's full comments in here, because there's a lot more there than PFT fire drill note. (Emphasis below is mine)

About a year ago, the ownership of the Buffalo Bills commissioned a study about what to do with its stadium situation, either new construction or another upgrade of the circa-1973 New Era Field. What’s your understanding, the league’s understanding, of where that stands from the study, if you could shed light on that, and also, what is your and the league’s position on what should the next steps be for a facility in Buffalo?

“Well, as you know, I’ve been involved with negotiations in Buffalo going back into the ’90s.  Consistently through that time period, we have focused on the stadium and the importance of the stadium in the context of that, and the need to continue to renovate and/or look to see whether a new stadium is a better answer for the long term.  This has been contemplated in the leases right up until, I think, the most recent one, which I believe was 2016, but that is coming to a close.  At that point in time, I am hoping that it will continue, and I expect that it will continue to be a collaborative process between the public sector and obviously the Bills.  We all want the Buffalo Bills to continue to be in Buffalo, to be successful.  A stadium that is going to be competitive with other stadiums around the league is going to be important in that context, and I think everyone is committed to that, whether it is new, significant renovation or whether it is a completely new facility in a new location.  I think those are things that the group has to settle collectively and to address over the next several months, if not sooner.”

Goodell thinks New Era needs some kind of renovation or a new stadium to drive up ticket prices. I don't really see what New Era is lacking and I've been to some of the new ones. The last thing Buffalo needs is the over-the-top Dallas or Atlanta setup but obviously the NFL likes the optics of those places. As a fan, I have ZERO complaints about New Era. Easy in and out. Food and bathrooms could maybe be a little better but they are not a problem. Box seating is nice. Really not sure what Goodell thinks is lacking from a fan perspective. 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Here's what I know ... it's December 29th, 2019 ... it's week 17 .. virtually no starters are playing the Jets (cause ... we're in the PLAYOFFS baby)  ..  Hammer's lot was rocking (and he's passing out pieces of old turf to fans with "lucky cards") ... surrounded by friends from around the country before and after a crappy game  ...  its 48 degrees and raining like hell and the stadium was pretty full.

So take your competitive advantage and shove it Roger. 

Did you get pieces of turf? I was glad to give it away to the Tailgaters in the Lot. People (with out the special Red P card) were offering me $$$ which I refused because it was free & I gave them some. I know doing this wrecks my image. Oh well!

I share Sal's opinion on this.

Goodell speaking so specifically to a renovation seems like it could possibly mean that the study has been looked at, and it is very favorable to a reno, and that is the way the Pegulas might be going toward.  

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes, this was as much directed to our politicians in Albany as it was to the people of WNY.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Keep me, Hammer, out of the negotiations. I will be in a alcohol induce fog till August! I will say I believe NEF will be renovated based on info I have recently received. Being in the business world I know Nothing is set in stone ( till the ink drys on the contract) till there is an announcement. 

11 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Actually they aren’t a bottom market team. Look I get it if you are a little bit older and afraid of how the stadium will impact your taxes. I have encountered a lot of older Buffalo residents like yourself. Buffalo can’t get back to being a great city by living in fear or the past. 

There are a lot of Erie County residents that simply lack the income to pay any more tax than what they already do.  By the time you identify the households that can pay a substantial tax you most likely are talking a multi-thousand dollar increase over multiple years for each property owner.  

3 minutes ago, Hammered a Lot said:

Keep me, Hammer, out of the negotiations. I will be in a alcohol induce fog till August! I will say I believe NEF will be renovated based on info I have recently received. Being in the business world I know Nothing is set in stone ( till the ink drys on the contract) till there is an announcement. 

It would be awesome if the can do a partial cover that Dolphins did for their stadium, but I'm not sure that the bowl design can easily accommodate that.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

FU Roger you are nothing but a tyrant who needs to be deposed. The gains the NFL has made isnt because of you its because we love football. Cant wait till your sorry ass is replaced.

we dont need your shiny new money guzzler that isnt going to bring in more money but will cost us more.

there's ways around that.  Bills Mafia ? 

Goodell is only doing the bidding of the power block of NFL owners namely Jones, Kraft, Snyder, Kroenke, etc..  If he was not then he would be gone already.

1 hour ago, GG said:

whether it is new, significant renovation or whether it is a completely new facility in a new location.

"Significant renovation" is the new stance for Goodell and the big takeaway from his remarks, IMO.    I suspect he's been given a heads up on the consultant's findings and is spading the ground ahead of the news being released by the Pegula's in a few months.

IMO, a new stadium never jibed with WNY's economic reality.   Lack of corporate headquarters / luxury suite demand, flat population growth and now the limited appetite of Albany to pitch in, given the state's Medicaid-related deficit woes.

The owners may finally be accepting this reality, despite all their past saber rattling...      

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Lurker said:

"Significant renovation" is the new stance for Goodell and the big takeaway from his remarks, IMO.    I suspect he's been given a heads up on the consultant's findings and is spading the ground ahead of the news being released by the Pegula's in a few months.

IMO, a new stadium never jibed with WNY's economic reality.   Lack of corporate headquarters / luxury suite demand, flat population growth and now the limited appetite of Albany to pitch in, given the state's Medicaid-related deficit woes.

The owners may finally be accepting this reality, despite all their past saber rattling...      

Realistically, OP will be the home of the Bills most likely for the next 15 years or so.  At the end of that period we will see how far along Buffalo and Rochester are in terms of reinventing themselves economically, how much support has grown from Southern Ontario, and the general state of the NFL as an entertainment venue.

18 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Seats, amenities, space in concourses, etc.  

Exposure to weather ages all exposed components prematurely.

She was born in 1973 - hard to make walkways or concourses larger.

I guess if games sells out then they sell out.  Does a below average stadium hurt the image of the shield?

2 hours ago, GG said:

After 9 pages of discussion of a 2nd hand source, let's put Roger's full comments in here, because there's a lot more there than PFT fire drill note. (Emphasis below is mine)

About a year ago, the ownership of the Buffalo Bills commissioned a study about what to do with its stadium situation, either new construction or another upgrade of the circa-1973 New Era Field. What’s your understanding, the league’s understanding, of where that stands from the study, if you could shed light on that, and also, what is your and the league’s position on what should the next steps be for a facility in Buffalo?

“Well, as you know, I’ve been involved with negotiations in Buffalo going back into the ’90s.  Consistently through that time period, we have focused on the stadium and the importance of the stadium in the context of that, and the need to continue to renovate and/or look to see whether a new stadium is a better answer for the long term.  This has been contemplated in the leases right up until, I think, the most recent one, which I believe was 2016, but that is coming to a close.  At that point in time, I am hoping that it will continue, and I expect that it will continue to be a collaborative process between the public sector and obviously the Bills.  We all want the Buffalo Bills to continue to be in Buffalo, to be successful.  A stadium that is going to be competitive with other stadiums around the league is going to be important in that context, and I think everyone is committed to that, whether it is new, significant renovation or whether it is a completely new facility in a new location.  I think those are things that the group has to settle collectively and to address over the next several months, if not sooner.”

WHAT? Is this some crazy media evil witch Trick, quoting out of context to exacerbate or manipulate a message??? 

im starting to question whether or not to believe everything I read in the internet....