Family Dog (Pit Bull) Kills 26-Day-Old Baby

Gugny

I know people will defend the breed, maybe blame the owners, but I won’t even read the article. I would not want one within 100 miles of my family. I know, “they are so sweet”, but NO! They are too often time bombs. You just can’t hear the ticking. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I know people will defend the breed, maybe blame the owners, but I won’t even read the article. I would not want one within 100 miles of my family. I know, “they are so sweet”, but NO! They are too often time bombs. You just can’t hear the ticking. 

The statistics don't lie.  They are bred killers.  No matter how well they're brought up, or how wonderful the environment is, genetics are more powerful.  They all have a trigger and no one knows what the trigger is until it's too late.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

The statistics don't lie.  They are bred killers.  No matter how well they're brought up, or how wonderful the environment is, genetics are more powerful.  They all have a trigger and no one knows what the trigger is until it's too late.

When is the last time you read this story and it was a Bijon or a Golden Retriever? It may have happened that one snapped, but you don’t worry that it could happen on a daily basis. If you have a Pit Bull it should be a concern at every moment. 

People will come here and argue for them, and they will be wrong. Pay attention and that is obvious. Bad stats will be presented, I’ve seen all this before. They are overly dangerous animals. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Augie said:

When is the last time you read this story and it was a Bijon or a Golden Retriever? It may have happened that one snapped, but you don’t worry that it could happen on a daily basis. If you have a Pit Bull it should be a concern at every moment. 

People will come here and argue for them, and they will be wrong. Pay attention and that is obvious. Bad stats will be presented, I’ve seen all this before. They are overly dangerous animals. 

Natural born killers.

People will come in and say how poodles and chihuahuas bite.  Yes, they do.  But they're not ***** piranhas.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Natural born killers.

People will come in and say how poodles and chihuahuas bite.  Yes, they do.  But they're not ***** piranhas.  

After I escaped from banking I got into a real estate appraising company for many years. Great deal, the happiest working years of my life. LOVED it!

Over 13 years, seeing 2-6 properties a day, with almost half having dogs....I saw a LOT of dogs. One time a guy (a stinkin’ Dolphins fan!) asked me if I had to go into the sunroom. Well, there was a 90 pound dog lunging at the french doors trying to get OUT of the sunroom to “meet” me. He said, “oh, don’t worry about that one, there’s one behind the couch who won’t let you see him, but he would kill you if he could”. I managed to see the whole room without going in. 

The only damn dog that ever bit me belonged to a friend of my wife. High rise condo worth a million or so, and she has two schnauzers, yappy little things! My wife wanted me to help her figure out what she should sell for, so I’m not even getting paid. Damn thing jumps up and gets me on the thigh, not tearing my pants, but breaking the skin beneath! Took all I had not to punt that thing off the balcony! She just kept saying “stop!”. I could have fixed that! 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Natural born killers.

Exactly!!! They don’t just bite/nip; they latch on, rip, tear, and have no “off” switch. 

my little brother was attacked by a black lab when he was a kid, bit his face, arm, hand.  my pit and several other dogs were attacked at the dog park...that lab ended up getting put down.  frigging dog gave my dog an std!  

now why isn't this dog in the article called by the other breeds it was mixed with? since it was a mix

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

my little brother was attacked by a black lab when he was a kid, bit his face, arm, hand.  my pit and several other dogs were attacked at the dog park...that lab ended up getting put down.  frigging dog gave my dog an std!  

now why isn't this dog in the article called by the other breeds it was mixed with? since it was a mix

It happens with a lot of breeds.  My son was bitten when we lived in Florida as he was walking on the sidewalk, maybe it was a lab, I forgot.  

Nothing major just a scratch, we did report it though.  

i've know a couple of pits that have been very sweat, but those dogs just make me nervous.  that being said, i have a yellow lab, and labs are high on the list of dogs that bite...i do think that has a lot to do with how many people actually own the dog though.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

It happens with a lot of breeds.  My son was bitten when we lived in Florida as he was walking on the sidewalk, maybe it was a lab, I forgot.  

Nothing major just a scratch, we did report it though.  

It does happen with lots of breeds.  I'm sure there's an article out there about a beagle killing someone.  My dog was attacked by a golden retriever.  Do I think golden retrievers are killers?  No. 

It happens exponentially more with pit bulls.  There is not a close second.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

i've know a couple of pits that have been very sweat, but those dogs just make me nervous.  that being said, i have a yellow lab, and labs are high on the list of dogs that bite...i do think that has a lot to do with how many people actually own the dog though.

I think it's important (whilst discussing this particular topic) to differentiate between dogs that bite and dogs that maul/kill.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

we have a family friend that was attacked by his pit.  i don't know how old the dog was, but he did have it since it was a puppy.  at the time his daughter was young, (6 or 7) and she wouldn't clean her room.  in a dad fashion, this guy raised his voice for his daughter to do her chores, and it was enough to set the dog off.  it attacked him and did quite a bit of damage to his arm...some permanent.  he told my aunt that all he thought about was how his daughter was going to watch him die.  he managed to get the dog in the bathroom and lock him in.  

no thanks.

Just now, Gugny said:

I think it's important (whilst discussing this particular topic) to differentiate between dogs that bite and dogs that maul/kill.

very true.  i've been bitten by a chow, (which are known to be aggressive) but it was a quick single bite to the hand and then just walked away.

Just now, eball said:

Until they're not.  I think that's the whole point.  What other breed presents as many challenges?

don’t know.  I’m not a racist who penalizes millions for the actions of a few. 

20% of all dogs have pit in them.    This is foolish.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have two friends that each own multiple pits/pit mixes.  All are wonderful, loving dogs.  I’d even own one now, but I would never take the chance if I had a small child in the house. 

Edit:  For the record there are other breeds that I would categorize similarly. 

Edited by BarleyNY

2 hours ago, eball said:

Until they're not.  I think that's the whole point.  What other breed presents as many challenges?

Not the breed so much as the socialization and the environment the dog was raised. Plenty of "nice" breed dogs that are aggresive as hell if they have been abused by humans and previous owners.

ASPCA position on Pit Bulls

https://www.aspca.org/about-us/aspca-policy-and-position-statements/position-statement-pit-bulls

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Breeds of dog involved in fatal attacks on humans in the U.S. from 2005 to 2017

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

The statistics don't lie.  They are bred killers. 

The other 9 breeds combined average 11 human kills per year. 

It's only 10 less than the Pit Bulls 21 kills a year.

Edited by I am the egg man

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Not the breed so much as the socialization and the environment the dog was raised. Plenty of "nice" breed dogs that are aggresive as hell if they have been abused by humans and previous owners.

ASPCA position on Pit Bulls

https://www.aspca.org/about-us/aspca-policy-and-position-statements/position-statement-pit-bulls

For all of the articles I've read over the years about horrific pit bull attacks, I can confidently say a solid 90% have a quote similar to, "we've had her for so many years and she never even growled at anyone."

Of course, abusing a dog (or training it to fight/kill) will make the dog aggressive and mean.

It's my opinion that it's not necessary to provide a hostile/dangerous environment and that all pit bulls have the killer instinct in them.  They all have a trigger and no one, including the dog, knows what it is until the dog is literally tearing someone apart.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

For all of the articles I've read over the years about horrific pit bull attacks, I can confidently say a solid 90% have a quote similar to, "we've had her for so many years and she never even growled at anyone."

Of course, abusing a dog (or training it to fight/kill) will make the dog aggressive and mean.

It's my opinion that it's not necessary to provide a hostile/dangerous environment and that all pit bulls have the killer instinct in them.  They all have a trigger and no one, including the dog, knows what it is until the dog is literally tearing someone apart.

I would  say that about all dogs. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

I know a few people that own them.   They can be very lovable.

Yet scary still.  Just like my friends and their Dobe's and German Shepard's. 

Its those tiny ANKLE BITERS that piss me off. Nasty little creatures. 

when my wife was a baby they had a Rottweiler .. it started growling at her parents when they went to pick her up.  

they immediately removed the dog. 

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I'm sure most are fine pets. But the difference is a chihuahua having a bad day won't kill you. A Pit Bull, Rotweiller, etc will.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Not triggers that set off deadly or disfiguring attacks.

My 110lb lab-chow mix gets pissed at someone, he gunna set off on a disfiguring or deadly attack....can happen with any breed. Now, i do agree Pits are the most abused and most trained dogs to be aggressive due to several factors, no doubt about that. But i do not believe it is the breed itself.

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I know a few people that own them.   They can be very lovable.

Yet scary still.  Just like my friends and their Dobe's and German Shepard's. 

Its those tiny ANKLE BITERS that piss me off. Nasty little creatures. 

when my wife was a baby they had a Rottweiler .. it started growling at her parents when they went to pick her up.  

they immediately removed the dog. 

Growling at someone as a one off can be somewhat natural..but if it was a consistent behavior dog gots to go! My In Laws had a batchit crazy cocker and when my daughter was born and we stayed at their house, i insisted dog stayed in the garage entire time we there(outside of potty breaks). Now that dog scared the poop out of me.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

My 110lb lab-chow mix gets pissed at someone, he gunna set off on a disfiguring or deadly attack....can happen with any breed. Now, i do agree Pits are the most abused and most trained dogs to be aggressive due to several factors, no doubt about that. But i do not believe it is the breed itself.

If you truly believe that environment is what's causing the deadly attacks, and you look at the chart below … how would you feel about pit bull ownership being monitored, even licensed?

If putting these dogs into the wrong environment is likely to create a situation in which a human being being fatally attacked, then there must be a way to control where these dogs are going.

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm sure most are fine pets. But the difference is a chihuahua having a bad day won't kill you. A Pit Bull, Rotweiller, etc will.

I mentioned earlier my only dog bite came from a schnauzer. That’s fine, I could just punt that thing into next week. The Pitt? No so much, I’m getting mauled if it snaps for any reason. 

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If you truly believe that environment is what's causing the deadly attacks, and you look at the chart below … how would you feel about pit bull ownership being monitored, even licensed?

If putting these dogs into the wrong environment is likely to create a situation in which a human being being fatally attacked, then there must be a way to control where these dogs are going.

Sure, if we can do the same thing with kids!!!!

Seriously, i don't know how to control this. Go to any animal rescue ( in an urban area especially) and the majority of dogs have pit in them. I dont know how you stop owners from leaving these dogs on chains outside or training the dog to be aggresive...

And like i said, i dont dispute the numbers above, but it is because these dogs are overwhelmingly the breed that is trained and abused, it is not the breed. In the 60's and 70's, those number most likely were flipped as Rots and Dobies were trained that way. 

After we get rid of Pits, we take out German Shepherds. Then we get rid of Dobermans and Rotties. Then we get down to Mastiffs as the worst. Got to get rid of them. Eventually, they will all be gone as the worst need to be eliminated as we go down the list.

Eugenics is fun!!

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

here's what i would like to know. are those full pits and are they mixed?  if they are a mix what do you do?

3 minutes ago, KRC said:

After we get rid of Pits, we take out German Shepherds. Then we get rid of Dobermans and Rotties. Then we get down to Mastiffs as the worst. Got to get rid of them. Eventually, they will all be gone as the worst need to be eliminated as we go down the list.

Eugenics is fun!!

If anyone in this thread really said these things, I'd call that person a moron.

• Haha (+1) 1