The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, Reality Check said:

Still not convinced. Too anecdotal.

He doesn't like the NIH article because it doesn't fit his bias.

N95 masks = work
Cloth masks = placebo

I'm going to get out one of my Mardi Gras masks to wear to the store. I may turn heads with the feathers and sequins, but hey, it's a mask.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

He doesn't like the NIH article because it doesn't fit his bias.

N95 masks = work
Cloth masks = placebo

I'm going to get out one of my Mardi Gras masks to wear to the store. I may turn heads with the feathers and sequins, but hey, it's a mask.

That's awesome. I am tempted to get an Arab style executioners hood to wear out in public myself.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

That's awesome. I am tempted to get an Arab style executioners hood to wear out in public myself.

There was a guy who wore a KKK hood at an Albertsons (I "think" in California, the video is somewhere on  this forum). He's wearing a required mask, and the store personal asked him to take it off!! (People were triggered.) He took it off, checked out sans mask, and left.

I hope he was simply trying to prove a point, but my goodness, if everyone put on a KKK hood, executioner mask or Trump 2020 mask, this mask requirement would be over but fast.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Or one of those old plague masks that look creepy as hell from early last century. 

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, GG said:

This response demonstrates the futility of advocating good behavior.   On one side you have people who think that masks should be worn everywhere, on the other are those who will never put on a mask.

The reality is in between.

But proximity.  The song "The Age of Aquarius" tells us what we need to know.  And it's peer reviewed by hippies everywhere.  And I'm pretty sure the moon is in the seventh house this week so wear your masking even if you're wandering about a desolate land like the Sahara or Canada.

3 minutes ago, meazza said:

Fauci to warn of needless suffering and death.  Is this with regards to the murder hornets ?

I think there is a David Spade movie coming out on Netflix which I'm sure is the needless suffering he'll warn us about.  The death might be the hornets.  Getcha popcorn.

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

There was a guy who wore a KKK hood at an Albertsons (I "think" in California, the video is somewhere on  this forum). He's wearing a required mask, and the store personal asked him to take it off!! (People were triggered.) He took it off, checked out sans mask, and left.

I hope he was simply trying to prove a point, but my goodness, if everyone put on a KKK hood, executioner mask or Trump 2020 mask, this mask requirement would be over but fast.

Cool story! 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Hey, she got to the bottom of the Flynn debacle, imagine what she can do with Fauci, WHO, etc.

So true. Doctors and scientists are not economists. They see the world only through the bubble of health , and are pretty accustomed to having money. That’s why a Fauci can look at reopening the economy as “ needless”. What a joke. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Being selfish isn’t a crime in a free society. In fact it’s one of the core principles.

“ Live for yourself - there’s no one else more worth living for..begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more “ 

Neil Peart 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

More data that just confirms what we already knew.

Just to summarize, 91.5% of all the deaths are people over the age of 65.  

83% of them are over the age of 75.  

That 61% of the deaths are over the age of 85.

This doesn't even take into account that out of these deaths that 88% of them have 2 or more comorbidites. 

And look which states have done well and not so well in protecting seniors, relative to their peers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

13 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

My oldest is four. We watch the news, and she knows who trump and pence and Fauci are.  The question she asks the most is why trump refuses to wear a mask and stands so close to others.  From the mouths of babes ....

He and pence will war their non-infected statuses as badges. 

That's funny. My totally real, definitely not made up for an anecdotal story three year old daughter asked me a question after dinner last night. She said to me, "Daddy, I've finished poring over the available data. Even with the inclusion of comorbidities inflating the number of deaths by the Chinese Flu, it seems as though we're still pretty close to the average yearly death rate.

Millions of people have had irreparable harm done to their lives. All the data suggests that the fear mongering and mask shaming is illogical. I weep for the number of people who will be lost from death by despair, or as I like to think of it, death by lockdown. Since if you die during lockdown, you die because of lockdown. Will Americans live in fear forever? Are all adults complete kitties like your internet acquaintance, SectionC3?"

To which I smiled, patted her on the head and said , "Shut up, honey. I'm trying to watch The Last Dance. Tell your totally not made up mother to bring me another Sapphire gimlet."

From the mouths of babes indeed...

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Today's hearing is highly anticipated, especially by the media and Trump's detractors.   In prepared remarks, apparently there is a snippet of a quote that is being taken out of context.  They are harping on his quote "needless suffering and death", if states open up too quickly.  Of course, what the media is focusing on is "needless suffering and death".  

<snip>

I will be watching Fauci closely today, my hopes are that he provides full context with his answers.  My guess is that he'll somehow provide more snippets in today's hearing that will be used against the administration that are taken out of it's context.

Well Schumer has said he wants Fauci to "let er rip".
I'm glad I don't have smellavision.

Edited by Uncle Joe

9 minutes ago, LB3 said:

That's funny. My totally real, definitely not made up for an anecdotal story three year old daughter asked me a question after dinner last night. She said to me, "Daddy, I've finished poring over the available data. Even with the inclusion of comorbidities inflating the number of deaths by the Chinese Flu, it seems as though we're still pretty close to the average yearly death rate.

Millions of people have had irreparable harm done to their lives. All the data suggests that the fear mongering and mask shaming is illogical. I weep for the number of people who will be lost from death by despair, or as I like to think of it, death by lockdown. Since if you die during lockdown, you die because of lockdown. Will Americans live in fear forever? Are all adults complete kitties like your internet acquaintance, SectionC3?"

To which I smiled, patted her on the head and said , "Shut up, honey. I'm trying to watch The Last Dance. Tell your totally not made up mother to bring me another Sapphire gimlet."

From the mouths of babes indeed...

I would like to see “[a]ll the data” if you’re not too busy. 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

So we need a wall?  ?

They do not suggest it while in parks and trails however.  But you refuse to acknowledge that. 

Nah they just say anytime you’re in close proximity to others.  General guidance, applicable irrespective of location.  But by Chef Jim logic it’s impossible to be in close proximity to anyone in a park or on a trial.  Makes.  Perfect.  Sense. 

9 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Fauci gunna sink the markets..if i heard him correct, just saidno college in the fall..but i may have heard incorrectly

Just imagine the effect on markets if Fauci’s concerns about the spread of virus upon premature reopening are realized.  

1 hour ago, GG said:

This response demonstrates the futility of advocating good behavior.   On one side you have people who think that masks should be worn everywhere, on the other are those who will never put on a mask.

The reality is in between.

Or we could actually read the CDC website.  Either one.  The debate isn’t about location, it’s about proximity to others.  When in proximity, the CDC suggests that masks be worn, irrespective of location.  There is no such thing as “trail” or “park” immunity.