The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

3 minutes ago, Justice said:

I can’t say I blame you in that situation. Most people are far enough apart that you and them should be safe. The thing is we don’t really know. I lost 25 pounds since this started working out at home. It’s important to stay active. 

And this is how this whole mask conversation started 4 hours ago when I said this. It somehow morphed into “you gramma killing  virus spreading douchebags!!”

I love when I take my daily hike/walk and I see people outside with no one withing 50 yards and they are wearing a mask.  We have created a bunch of paranoid fearful closed minded robots. 

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I choose not to wear a mask when I’m out in open spaces like hiking trails and through the neighborhoods. 

That's nice, and it is your choice.  It's also my choice to tell you that I think you're being selfish to the extent that you come into close proximity with another person on the trail or in your neighborhood.  I have some ignorant people in my neighborhood; an adult member of one household had COVID-19 and was down and out for almost two months, and this person's spouse closely associated during that time period with others in the neighborhood.  None of those congregants has worn a mask, and some of those people have come too close to my kids since then.  They have quickly learned of my views on the matter. 

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

That's nice, and it is your choice.  It's also my choice to tell you that I think you're being selfish to the extent that you come into close proximity with another person on the trail or in your neighborhood.  I have some ignorant people in my neighborhood; an adult member of one household had COVID-19 and was down and out for almost two months, and this person's spouse closely associated during that time period with others in the neighborhood.  None of those congregants has worn a mask, and some of those people have come too close to my kids since then.  They have quickly learned of my views on the matter. 

That’s a shame 

1 minute ago, Justice said:

A little anecdote about doctors. A friend of mine recently got kidney stones. His doc gave him pain meds and told him to drink plenty of water. That was it. He couldn’t pass the stones for over a week and then he told me about his situation. I recommend a 1/4 cup each of fresh lemon juice and olive oil. He passed it immediately after that. The doctor never mentioned that remedy. Point is doctors don’t know everything. 

That's why I don't go to Patient First. I had the most severe illness of my life and on Saturday the idiot doctor told me it was strep. On Monday I went to my PCP and after 30 seconds he correctly diagnosed it as mono.

I don't trust anyone based on authority. I listen to the reasoning, run it against what I know, and see what makes the most sense.

The doomsday scenarios here just don't seem to hold up.

And again, if it really is as bad as you say, there doesn't seem to be an end game. Hiding in seclusion for years on end to avoid a virus with a 99+% survival rate doesn't make much sense.

Better to seclude the high risk population and let it run its course on the rest of us. Herd immunity among the masses is the only way the high risk population ever gets to re-enter society.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Stay home. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

That's why I don't go to Patient First. I had the most severe illness of my life and on Saturday the idiot doctor told me it was strep. On Monday I went to my PCP and after 30 seconds he correctly diagnosed it as mono.

I don't trust anyone based on authority. I listen to the reasoning, run it against what I know, and see what makes the most sense.

The doomsday scenarios here just don't seem to hold up.

And again, if it really is as bad as you say, there doesn't seem to be an end game. Hiding in seclusion for years on end to avoid a virus with a 99+% survival rate doesn't make much sense.

Better to seclude the high risk population and let it run its course on the rest of us. Herd immunity among the masses is the only way the high risk population ever gets to re-enter society.

I completely agree. I’ve stated that several times but whenever we do reopen we have to be cautious. We need to continue on with SD and wearing masks until something better hopefully comes along. 

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Or they (and you) could show a little decency.  Either one.  

Decency?  The CDC tells me I should go out to parks and trails. That it’s actually good for me. ?. It says nothing about wearing a mask. Doesn’t even recommend it. So if you fear me on the trail that much you can stay home. To use your words “your choice.”  

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Decency?  The CDC tells me I should go out to parks and trails. That it’s actually good for me. ?. It says nothing about wearing a mask. Doesn’t even recommend it. So if you fear me on the trail that much you can stay home. To use your words “your choice.”  

I don't fear you.  I do, however, expect you to be respectful of others when in public.  Whether you agree with, or like, that position is your choice.  

21 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Or they (and you) could show a little decency.  Either one.  

Oh for the love of Pete.  A grocery store is one thing but a hiking trail?  If he's not near anyone wtf difference does it make?  Should the people in the ISS wear a mask in case they cough and it all rains down on us?

• Like (+1) 1

Not that this comes as a surprise, but it appears that you may have misinterpreted CDC guidance on the mask issue.  Masks should be worn, according to the CDC, in community settings.  Those settings include situations in which you are "near" another person or persons:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-faq.html

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Oh for the love of Pete.  A grocery store is one thing but a hiking trail?  If he's not near anyone wtf difference does it make?  Should the people in the ISS wear a mask in case they cough and it all rains down on us?

I think the CDC has this one covered.  Proximity = an occasion to wear a mask.  It doesn't make a difference whether the proximity occurs in a grocery store, in a pharmacy, or on a hiking trail.  

12 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I don't fear you.  I do, however, expect you to be respectful of others when in public.  Whether you agree with, or like, that position is your choice.  

I do respect them. I keep my distance. What else you want. Shine your shoes?  Cook your dinner?  

8 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Not that this comes as a surprise, but it appears that you may have misinterpreted CDC guidance on the mask issue.  Masks should be worn, according to the CDC, in community settings.  Those settings include situations in which you are "near" another person or persons:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-faq.html

I think the CDC has this one covered.  Proximity = an occasion to wear a mask.  It doesn't make a difference whether the proximity occurs in a grocery store, in a pharmacy, or on a hiking trail.  

Yes it does. No masks even recommended on the trail. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/visitors.html

If a park, beach, or recreational facility is open for public use, visiting is okay as long as you practice social distancing and everyday steps such as washing hands often and covering coughs and sneezes

Cover coughs and sneezes

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

What about the astronauts?

Proximity is not a precise word at all.  The moon is in close proximity to Earth but LA is a long trip from NY.  If you're in a grocery store it can be difficult to avoid being within x number of feet from another person.  If you are on a hiking trail it is simple.

• Like (+1) 1

Excuse me if this has been posted.  What do you make of this? There are people willing to be infected, actually seeking infection. Covidiots I like that it describes them well

Amid a pandemic causing so much death and destruction, a bunch of cov-idiots are gleefully arranging gatherings with the stated intent to contract the virus, warn officials.

Dubbed “COVID-19 parties,” the Washington state county of Walla Walla report the emergence of an imbecilic initiative where healthy people mingle with infected individuals hoping to contract the virus and then hoping to bounce back from the killer disease.

“Walla Walla County health officials are receiving reports of COVID-19 parties occurring in our community, where non-infected people mingle with an infected person in an effort to catch the virus,” the county said in a press release
This senseless and completely moronic practice was discovered when officials started contact tracing.

According to Meghan DeBolt, director of the county Department of Community Health, at least 25 people were infected after they attended these functions.
https://ottawasun.com/news/world/cov...e-9633c660d2d7

•  

What to do with the 25 they've identified as becoming infected at such a function. Criminal charges?

Edited by ~Kostabi~
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

What about the astronauts?

Proximity is not a precise word at all.  The moon is in close proximity to Earth but LA is a long trip from NY.  If you're in a grocery store it can be difficult to avoid being within x number of feet from another person.  If you are on a hiking trail it is simple.

No, the hiking trail isn't simple.  What if it's a crowded hiking trail?  That too can put you in a place to be proximate to others.  You should call the CDC with respect to your complaint about the ambiguity of "proximate[]."  That's the CDC's word; not mine. 

18 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I do respect them. I keep my distance. What else you want. Shine your shoes?  Cook your dinner?  

If a park, beach, or recreational facility is open for public use, visiting is okay as long as you practice social distancing and everyday steps such as washing hands often and covering coughs and sneezes

Cover coughs and sneezes

Sorry, but you ignore the CDC's guidance with respect to the use of masks.  I'll quote it since you refuse to read it:

"A cloth face covering should be worn whenever people are in a community setting, especially in situations where you may be near people. These settings include grocery stores and pharmacies. These face coverings are not a substitute for social distancing. Cloth face coverings are especially important to wear in public in areas of widespread COVID-19 illness."

21 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Cover coughs and sneezes

I don't need dinner or the shining of my shoes.  It would suffice if you would simply be respectful of others.  This is the post of mine with which you take issue:

"That's nice, and it is your choice.  It's also my choice to tell you that I think you're being selfish to the extent that you come into close proximity with another person on the trail or in your neighborhood.  I have some ignorant people in my neighborhood; an adult member of one household had COVID-19 and was down and out for almost two months, and this person's spouse closely associated during that time period with others in the neighborhood.  None of those congregants has worn a mask, and some of those people have come too close to my kids since then.  They have quickly learned of my views on the matter."

Apparently it's too much to ask to either avoid coming into "close proximity" with another person, or to wear a mask if "close proximity" can't be avoided.  It is what it is. 

11 minutes ago, ~Kostabi~ said:

Excuse me if this has been posted.  What do you make of this? There are people willing to be infected, actually seeking infection. Covidiots I like that it describes them we

•  

What to do with the 25 they've identified as becoming infected at such a function. Criminal charges?

What if they’re already in prison. I heard inmates are trying to get it so they can be released. Lol. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

No, the hiking trail isn't simple.  What if it's a crowded hiking trail?  That too can put you in a place to be proximate to others.  You should call the CDC with respect to your complaint about the ambiguity of "proximate[]."  That's the CDC's word; not mine. 

Sorry, but you ignore the CDC's guidance with respect to the use of masks.  I'll quote it since you refuse to read it:

"A cloth face covering should be worn whenever people are in a community setting, especially in situations where you may be near people. These settings include grocery stores and pharmacies. These face coverings are not a substitute for social distancing. Cloth face coverings are especially important to wear in public in areas of widespread COVID-19 illness."

I don't need dinner or the shining of my shoes.  It would suffice if you would simply be respectful of others.  This is the post of mine with which you take issue:

"That's nice, and it is your choice.  It's also my choice to tell you that I think you're being selfish to the extent that you come into close proximity with another person on the trail or in your neighborhood.  I have some ignorant people in my neighborhood; an adult member of one household had COVID-19 and was down and out for almost two months, and this person's spouse closely associated during that time period with others in the neighborhood.  None of those congregants has worn a mask, and some of those people have come too close to my kids since then.  They have quickly learned of my views on the matter."

Apparently it's too much to ask to either avoid coming into "close proximity" with another person, or to wear a mask if "close proximity" can't be avoided.  It is what it is. 

What do you think, I run up and hug every person I see on the trail?  Good lord man!  Why are you so obsessed with the mask?  Are you ugly?  I do EXACTLY what every sign on the trail asks me to do. Practice social distancing.  It says nothing about wearing a mask so I don’t. If you’re that bunged up about people wearing a mask while they hike stay home. Because NO ONE is wearing one out there. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

What do you think, I run up and hug every person I see on the trail?  Good lord man!  Why are you so obsessed with the mask?  Are you ugly?  I do EXACTLY what every sign on the trail asks me to do. Practice social distancing.  It says nothing about wearing a mask so I don’t. If you’re that bunged up about people wearing a mask while they hike stay home. Because NO ONE is wearing one out there. 

Come on man, think of the mosquitoes you may be infecting with COVID.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

On a deaths per million basis, we're #13 and falling like wet laundry from a 20-story building and staring up at Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK, France, Ireland...the list goes on. in fact, we're just a third of the world's deaths. And NY is a third of the US deaths. So, y'know, a little hyperbole, y'think?

If you're going by pure numbers, I know you're smart enough to understand why that's a faulty way to look at things.

I like to believe we can do better than being number 13. 

On a per capita basis. 

After 4 months. 

In deaths. 

I want America to be the unqualified leader not the follower with caveats. 

6 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I'm probably an at risk person myself.

I'm not ripping anyone else for wearing a mask, I just don't have one. 

When I'm in public I avoid people like the plague (pun intended) since this hit.

If it's so contagious that someone could get it from me at the grocery store, we're all f***ed anyway.

No we are not all effed.  There is plenty you and your neighbors can do to avoid spreading it. Wearing a mask is just one of those things. Washing and disinfecting your hands like a crazy person is a bigger thing. There is little reason or opportunity to get this if you act smartly, even once we reopen though you have to be 10x more diligent then. 

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

You do you. He will do him. I am not worried about these arguments at the fringes of masks and social shaming. If we are all mostly wearing masks (sometimes we all may forget), it will make a difference. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1